Nashville

2,294 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Setting up our family Xmas vacation. We were looking at SLC due to my wife's aunt, uncle & cousin living there but it is looking like that will not work. Currently looking at Nashville because the flight is cheap (SW points) and my wife & I have been interested in going for awhile. The trip will be me, my wife & our kids (14 & 9) and we will be there the week before Xmas (12/17-12/21)

My questions...

1. Are there any must see places or must do activities just in general or specifically during Xmas?
2. Are there any must eat restaurants?
3. What area(s) would be good to stay. Looking at possible hotel, VRBO, etc...?
4. Any other info, suggestions, etc...?
GoneGirl
AG
If your kids are Percy Jackson fans, or even if they aren't, go visit the full sized Parthenon at Centennial Park. It's pretty awesome.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
tamc93
AG
We started staying at the Embassy Suites off Music Row instead of downtown. Usually 1/2 the price as on Broadway.

Your kids are younger then mine, so no real help there since we were in the various music venues on Broadway.

Watch your wallets and purses etc. Plenty of thieves in the crowds.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
The Gaylord Opryland Resort would fit the bill. It is decked out for Christmas and full of activities (ice skating, bumper tubes on ice, ice sculptures). Additionally, if you book a Soundwaves package you get access to the water park. We live in Tennessee and have stayed there three different times just to enjoy the water park.
Catch a Grand Ole Opry show and shop.

You could go downtown a day or two.

Places to visit: Parthenon is cool. TN State Museum has recently been renovated. I haven't been yet but hear it is pretty amazing. The Hermitage.

Places to eat: The Pharmacy, Coco's Italian Market and Restaurant, Elliston Place Soda Shop just to name a few.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/bnago-gaylord-opryland-resort-and-convention-center/overview/?scid=c75c3684-038a-4db3-9f39-a8f7105552b0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6dPNpvbP-wIVQhbUAR0sRgw7EAAYASAAEgIgOfD_BwE&gbraid=0AAAAADilnidU6AJuqKxtcs9CB-3XyVeHN&gclsrc=aw.ds
aggiejet
AG
Highly recommend Adele's for brunch on the weekend. You won't be disappointed, and they do take reservations.
chjoak
AG
Are the areas around Vanderbilt, Belmont & Tenn St decent? That's where are the decent priced VRBOs seem to be located.
Chipotlemonger
AG
chjoak said:

Are the areas around Vanderbilt, Belmont & Tenn St decent? That's where are the decent priced VRBOs seem to be located.
Vandy and Belmont: Hell yes. I lived in the Hillsboro West End neighborhood a couple of years and loved it.

Tenn St: Not as nice. West of here is the Nations though and that's probably an "in between" location between Tenn St and Vandy/Belmont.
chjoak
AG
Anyplace else we should be looking as far as activity accessibility?
Chipotlemonger
AG
chjoak said:

Anyplace else we should be looking as far as activity accessibility?
Vandy/Belmont is a great location activity wise, and I don't see more value in staying somewhere else, say in East Nashville or Sylvan Park/The Nations.

If you rented in Belmont, you can most likely walk to 12 south or even Hillsboro Village (caddy corner to Vandy). Both are good places to visit. From there or Vandy/Midtown you can get to downtown pretty easily. It's also not a hard trip to take the highway loop around to the other side of town to see the Opry if you're dead set on that.

Germantown might be another recommendation you hear. Some excellent stuff over there, but I think a family would have a better time staying south of downtown in the places I mentioned.

Feel free to PM me with more pointed questions, I don't want to clutter the thread!

Edit to add, I lived there when it was blowing up, and was back there earlier this year. That city has exploded even more since I moved away. Downtown can be an absolute sh*tshow.
chjoak
AG
Thanks. Our big thing is filling up a few days of activities/sites that the kids will enjoy and hitting a few really good local restaurants. Don't wanna spend a ton on the beds but want a nice place that doesn't have us spending most of our day driving. As of right now I think we will arrive on Sat and leave Wed late afternoon.
Texas A&M
We're actually heading to Nashville around the same time (the wife & I). We're catching an Amy Grant/Vince Gill show at the Ryman.
- Any Christmas specific outings that people would recommend. We'll have a car, so we don't mind driving.
- Any other 'local flavor' type of restaurants that anyone would recommend.
- We're hoping to stay within walking distance of the Ryman, so any recommendations here would be appreciated.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We stayed at the Hilton Downtown in April. Can't get much closer to the Ryman, which was our primary destination for a show.

There are several highly rated boutique hotels off Printers Alley as well. Wife chose Hilton because for a similar cost to the boutique joints single room we could get a suite.
Take the trash out staff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.