Alaska Golf and Fishing Trip

1,124 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Retired Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into taking our son on a college graduation trip in the summer of 2024. He loves to golf and fish. Any recs -places to stay, guides , etc. I realize we are way out in planning but just read the book, The Great Alone, that has me really interested in a trip to Alaska.
Thank and Gigem
malenurse
AG
This is exactly what we did when my son graduated in 2013.

Alaska is not a golfing destination. But, there are tons of Alaska fishing threads on the Outdoors Board.

Brief summary of our trip.
Flew to Anchorage and took the Alaska Railways train to Fairbanks. Long trip but amazing scenery on the way.
Spent the night in Fairbanks then rented Tahoe and started driving.
2-3 days in Talkeetna. Take the flight that lands on one of the glaciers. Also rafting on the Susitna River (take lots of mosquito repellant)

Kenai Penninsula - Homer, Whittier, Seward. Take a glacier cruise. If time and budget permits, take a flight to Kodiak Island.

Lots more to do and you have plenty of time to research. It was a great trip. Highly recommend going late May or early June.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Wicked Good Ag
Fishing and Golf.

I would suggest maybe Idaho as an option.
Pahdz
If you want both look into northern Minnesota
Pro Sandy
AG
OP - I want to go to Alaska.
Majority Posters - I recommend literally everywhere but where you want to go.

Never change travel board!

I was in Alaska some 15 years ago. Fishing, go out on the Kenai peninsula. Go for both salmon and halibut. Salmon, they do both fishing from the shore and floating down the river. Floating looked crowded, but maybe it's warmer than what I did from the shore. For halibut, Homer is the big spot and tons of charters out.

Maybe throw in some fly fishing in Denali since you are interested in wilderness.

For golf, I dont golf, but what sounds interesting is midnight golfing. I bet they do that in the summertime. Where else can you golf at night without lights?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There is an alaska guy on the golf board that has several courses he recommends. AlaskaAg, or AgAlaska. This sounds like an awesome trip. Only downside I can see is your gear. No way can you bring all your fishing gear and all your golf gear. That means you will have to rent somewhere and that opens up a lot of uncertainty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.