Big Bend for Spring Break?

1,671 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
nosoupforyou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking we may drive there from Houston - weather looks good but will be crowded I'm sure

Any suggestions on where a family of 5-6 can stay? Looks like limited or sold out accommodations at first glance
The Chicken Ranch
AG
It's a little late to be planning for 2023.
AggieOO
Big bend is one of my favorite places on the planet. I've been more times than I can count. I avoid the entire month of March.

For inside the park, you needed to be online booking when stuff opened 6 months out. You might still find something outside the park, but be prepared for Long waits to enter the park, most likely "one in, one out" to go up to the basin, and generally a wait anywhere.

There are definitely backcountry areas where you could be there during spring break and not see a soul for a week+, even during spring break, but doubt that is the type of trip you are looking for.

Happy to make recommendations, but likely anything anyone suggests will need a plan B, C, and maybe D during spring break.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Lots and lots of Big Bend threads here, you might want to search for them.

Crowded is a relative term. Yes, it is probably all booked up, and there may be a line at the national park entrance, but by and large, you will still feel very remote and isolated.

We did it for spring break one year and also booked late, we stayed at the Prude Ranch in Fort Davis. It's a bit of a hike from the National Park but it's close to the McDonald Observatory. Everything out there is a drive, we didn't really mind.
water turkey
I tried to book for Thanksgiving in 2022 the day after Thanksgiving in 2021. Everything was already booked….
AG81
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Thinking we may drive there from Houston - weather looks good but will be crowded I'm sure

Any suggestions on where a family of 5-6 can stay? Looks like limited or sold out accommodations at first glance

Lajitas resort has some houses you can book. We stayed in one Christmas last year. Easy access to Big Bend, Terlingua, and Lajitas has a world class golf course. We took the kids and grandkids - a total of 9 of us.
AggieOO
AG81 said:

nosoupforyou said:

Lajitas resort has some houses you can book. We stayed in one Christmas last year. Easy access to Big Bend, Terlingua, and Lajitas has a world class golf course. We took the kids and grandkids - a total of 9 of us.

"Easy" access is relative. The drive out to lajitas will add an hour or more to the drive to "big bend," and it's a 40ish minute drive to the basin. Over an hour drive if you want to go to the east side of the park.

That may or may not be an issue depending on what OP is looking to do. Big bend is a huge area, but I generally assume people are taking about the national park.
nosoupforyou
AG
we have lined up an RV and I'm an early riser so I don't mind driving 45-60 minutes (while the kids sleep) and arriving at the entrance 30 minutes before they open to beat the crowds

is that reasonable to do for Spring Break 2023?

ALSO - any ideas of the nearest RV parks we can reserve for 5 nights?

really appreciate some guidance - we're planning to make this happen
AggieOO
first thing, you'll be ok, most likely. From any entrance to the park, its a 30ish minute drive to get to the road up to the basin. That will absolutely be 1 car out, 1 car in. But early in the morning, you might get lucky.

RV Parks that are "close..." check Stillwell, which is about 5 miles toward Black Gap, near the north entrance.

Everything else will be in Study Butte/Terlingua/Lajitas or farther away (marathon, alpine, etc)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.