Half a day in San Francisco (w/ 4 kids)

2,599 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag_07
imjustsayin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flight leaves later in the day and we may have 3-4 hours to explore typical tourist sightseeing spots in San Francisco before heading to the airport.
We'll have a rental car.

What should we see??

I'm thinking
- Golden Gate Bridge (one side to the other driving)
- ride the Trolley to or from…
- Ghirardelli Square for a snack

That may do it… other options:
- Fisherman's Wharf

Thoughts??
I've heard San Francisco has gotten worse lost Covid… if there are highly sketchy areas that used to be known good tourist sights, would want to avoid.
BSD
AG
Get a reservation at Muir Woods. Save yourself from the crap hole that SF has become.
imjustsayin
AG
BSD said:

Get a reservation at Muir Woods. Save yourself from the crap hole that SF has become.

I should have mentioned… we will be coming back from a trip to Yosemite that morning and Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon earlier that week… so, we *could* do Muir but I'm afraid they will be "tree'd" out By then. But I HAVE thought about that.
streetfighter2012
AG
Depending on the weather you can spend a few hours on the west side at Lands End, Sutro Baths, Point Lobos. Or the Japanese Tea Garden and Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park
Potcake
AG
BSD said:

Such a TexAgs response.
Wicked Good Ag
Lombard Street via trolley and Painted Ladies havent been mentioned yet

if you could find an extra hour or two Alcatraz

BSD
AG
Potcake said:

BSD said:

Such a TexAgs response.

Your mom is such a TexAgs response.
turfman80
AG
Take the pedestrian walk on the Golden Gate Bridge and walk to the midway point.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
oldarmy76
Went there 5 years ago for first time. Walked an average of 12 miles a day for 3 days. Was blown away by the culture, history, architecture, food. There were great historical tours put on by locals we joined multiple times a day. But it is falling apart. Many times I didn't feel safe. Poop everywhere. Charged aggressively by an insane drugged out homeless person saying they wanted to kill me on the way to breakfast. Couldn't use or enjoy many of the parks due to homeless. And by all reports, it's gotten worse in last 5 years.
SW AG80
AG
Your thoughts are spot on.
Kids love riding the trolley.
I hear Ghirardelli Square is empty of tourists because of the homeless there. But good place to get ice cream. And the trolley stops about 100 yards from there.
But be careful. The most beautiful city in the US has become a cesspool.
62strat
AG
I've been to SF in '10, '17, '19, and '21.

All 4 times was out late at night and during the day in different areas; fillmore area, mission bay, mission district, all up and down embarcadero, chinatown, alamo square, wharf, lombard, bridge, coit, alcatraz, ferry/sausalito

I haven't noticed there being any notable decline across that time period in my visits. Just my observation though.
SW AG80
AG
That's good to hear. We have not been since 2015. But have heard very bad things.
knoxtom
I was just there a couple weeks ago. We had an incredible time and didn't see anything texags says is everywhere. Sure there are homeless but there are homeless everywhere.

Best thing we did was the bay Harbour boat cruise. It's a riged inflatable bay boat and he went under the golden gate all the way to the bay Bridge. Very much depends on the weather as you get a little wet.
andrabeth
AG
It's been many years but the Ferry Building (Pier #50 I think) has a great farmers market and many places to eat. I really like getting to try many things local there. Fantastic food there (away from the tourist areas). Wharf is neat to see the sea lions for a few pictures too.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Just came here to post the Ferry Building so plus 1. All local shops, food stands, wine bars, coffee, etc. You could walk around and explore from there if you like. Very safe and beautiful area of the city and waterfront.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Since you have a car I would def drive the area from fisherman's wharf on the waterfront to oracle park. You can also hit Lombard and drive through china town and the north beach area in your car. As mentioned above I think the ferry building is a fantastic place to grab a bite and explore but I'm not sure about parking. There are no more homeless in these areas than any other major city in Texas.
beachfront71
AG
The Grinder (99)
AG
We went there this summer for a similar trip. Family of 4, 12 and 14 yo kids.
Landed in San Fran early. Drove over golden gate back and forth. Did Alcatraz. Checked into hotel. Ride trolly to the pier and ate. Walked to Ghirardelli's square and had ice cream. Went back to hotel before dark.

We had a good time but it is some of what you've heard. Used to love San Fran. It's still a cool place. But we saw a lot more riff raft then my last trip (8 years ago). Saw some homeless people getting into all out fights a couple of times.

I think you're fine if you stay near crowds and prob wrap it up before dark

Our original plan was 4 days in San Fran and 5 in Yosemite. After doing some research I was glad I changed it to:
1 day San Fran, 3 days Santa Cruz and 5 days Yosemite

Surprised how much we did in one day and glad we didn't stay longer. Santa cruz was better for us, did some beach stuff, went to the boardwalk amusement park, drove down hwy 1 around monteroto Big Sur . Hung out quite a bit in the pebble beach area. Very surly the whole family enjoyed that (expected it to be just me and everyone else just patiently waiting for me to be done. Not the case, they all liked it)

Then did Yosemite

Good trip
imjustsayin
AG
Thanks for all the great replies. I have been to SF once before probably 8 years ago and we did love it. This is great input. We won't be there at night at all so hopefully that'll help to avoid any rif raf.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I was there a couple of weeks ago. From what I saw and experienced, the homeless pretty much leave the tourists alone, but if the prevalence of homeless is not something you want your kids exposed to, stay away from Market Street, especially near the civic center. The Tenderloin district has a LOT of drug activity openly on the street.

I would suggest hitting some of the famous high points like driving across the GGB and down Lombard Street. Fisherman's Wharf is a good place to get some food and see Alcatraz from afar. I do not recommend walking across the GGB or to the midpoint due to the time it will require (1.7 miles across) and this time of year the walk will be cold and very windy. The kids might not like that. You might try visiting Coit Tower.

3-4 hours in SF is not a long time, especially when you consider drive time and traffic in the most popular areas and generally busy areas. Additionally, the airport is not close to the city, so you'll need to factor in at least 45 minutes to get there.
breezecustomtravel
AG
It's been a few years but we loved Muir Woods, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard Street, and Alcatraz.
There are decent views of Alcatraz from Fishermans Wharf.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
AgLA06
AG
I still remember my first trip to SF.

It's the first real trip I remember as a kid. We traveled as a family with my dad to California for a week around a work convention. It happened to be during gay pride week. As this was the late 80s, early 90s, I'm not even sure this was a thing in Texas. We definitely weren't aware and we lived in Houston.

So we drive into town in our rental car on the way to see the sights and get stopped at a light in the middle of the parade route. Right in the front where we could see everything. As an early elementary child I had soooooo many questions. My dad was pissed there was no where to go as we were stuck, my mom was upset and embarrassed, and my brother was still young enough to not have a clue. First time I learned there was uses for chaps outside of cowboying rough country.

So my suggestion is to check the social calendars of the city and county and see what's going on. Could be something that provides a funny story for the family the rest of their lives.
VikingNik
AG
Four kids? Just go to Mission Dolores Park.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I live near SF. It absolutely has declined in the last 5 years. I will only go now to hit up a Giants game and I get my ass outta there as fast as I can afterwards.

It's a shame how far downhill it has gone.

Haight-Ashbury ain't so bad. But by and large, the city is a shell of its former self.

Preventable. But it isn't getting better anytime soon.
-Ben There/R.C.
Ag_07
AG
IMO the trolley isn't worth it. The wait is long and ride is short and cramped.

With 4 kids I'd say head to Fisherman's Wharf and go visit the Musee Mecanique. It's just a big warehouse space with loads of arcade and video games. Take a handful of quarters and let them go wild.

We stumbled on it waiting for our boat to Alcatraz and we ended up having a blast.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.