Mariott Gold via Chase Sapphire Reserve

2,588 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JMac03
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just randomly was checking my card benefits on the Sapphire Reserve and saw that on July 1 they added a benefit to upgrade your Bonvoy account to Gold for 3 months and if you spend 3 qualified nights it'll extend through Feb 2024.
HawthornAggie
Front Range Ag
AG
Thanks for the heads up!
The Milkman
AG
Glad I read the fine print on it. In order for the qualified nights to count, they needed to be booked directly though the Marriott website or app, not a third party.

Do you think that applies to Concur for business travel? Our AA's book our travel and always go through it. I'm sure I can ask her to book it separately, but do you think that only is referring to the likes of Expedia?
HeightsAg
Third party refers to the Travelocity and Expedias of the world that make their money by taking a cut of what you spend with Marriott (i.e., referral fee).

Concur and other corporate travel agencies charge a per transaction fee to your company rather than to Marriott so they are always eligible for promotions like this.

That being said, Marriott Gold is crap and given out freely so don't expect to get too much actual benefits out of it.
Diggity
AG
hey...I occasionally have two warm bottles of Dasani waiting for me in my room.

It's nice to be pampered.
kyledr04
AG
Gold is only good for free wifi and extra points. Even platinum isn't what it used to be but it's a big jump from gold.
HawthornAggie
AG
I've only been a platinum member for a year, but so far it's pretty great. I get upgraded to a better room/suite on almost every visit and getting 4pm late checkout is like having an extra free day. Can't speak to what the program used to be, but I've really enjoyed the perks this past year.
Bachelor99
AG
what properties are u getting upgraded to better room/suite? do u have to ask for the upgrade? i have been platinum for about a year as well and never been upgraded...
HawthornAggie
AG
Anytime I have been upgraded, I have not had to ask. The front desk usually says something like, "We want to thank you for being a platinum member and would like to upgrade you to a (insert name) suite."

I will say I have had a better "hit" rate on upgrades internationally than here in the states. But here in the states I have been upgraded in Nashville, Phoenix, and Seattle.
kyledr04
AG
I'm up to nearly 50 nights again this year. I think I've been upgraded once.

I did get the governors suite one time at a Renaissance. But usually it's breakfast, points, and lounge access. So it's not all bad.

Going to request a few suite nights soon.
HeightsAg
You'll have much better luck with suite upgrades with legacy Starwood brands and abroad but you'll need to be at least Platinum.
stardustag
AG
Vernada said:

Just randomly was checking my card benefits on the Sapphire Reserve and saw that on July 1 they added a benefit to upgrade your Bonvoy account to Gold for 3 months and if you spend 3 qualified nights it'll extend through Feb 2024.
Thanks for the heads up! Would've missed it otherwise! Very random benefit but it doesn't hurt at all! The problem is I already have the Gold Elite Status... so this doesn't do me any good
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
About the only perk I have notices is the "welcome gift" as a gold member, usually a sack with water bottles and some snacks that I never eat. I used to think they were inconsistent but I noticed on two recent stays that didn't have the welcome bag, they deposited 600 miles and called them a welcome gift on my account statement.

I've only had 2 upgrades that I remember ever, I was in Miami and Key West in October, so I guess it was off season.

All I really care about is free nights, though. It alway seems so disingenuous "Welcome back sir, it is so nice to see you again, thank you for being a gold member..."
permabull
AG
I just got upgraded for the first time ever at gold, I wonder if they are being looser with the upgrades since they know this promo is going on. I requested it via txt on the Bonvoy app
Diggity
AG
I was upgraded last week as well (with Gold). Just got the higher floor and city view, but they made a big deal about it.
62strat
AG
kyledr04 said:

Gold is only good for free wifi and extra points. Even platinum isn't what it used to be but it's a big jump from gold.
gold gets late checkout and upgrades too.
We use late checkout almost every hotel stay.
A gold upgrade is going to be a higher floor, a room with view, etc. They aren't gonna throw you in the presidential suite every time.
Diggity
AG
62strat said:

kyledr04 said:

A gold upgrade is going to be a higher floor, a room with view, etc. They aren't gonna throw you in the presidential suite every time.

Don't forget the "upgraded" wifi!
62strat
AG
Diggity said:

62strat said:

kyledr04 said:

Don't forget the "upgraded" wifi!
i think it's just free. Not upgraded per se. I don't know I never use Wi-Fi at a hotel, never is as fast as good ol' cellular!
beachfront71
AG

I really wanted to like Sapphire Reserve but ended up trading down because of the lack of actual benefits which is a bummer bcause all our banking, mort, etc is w/ Chase.

Amex Platinum offers Gold as part of the program and the total amount of benefits is crazy compared to Chase unless you are just really looking for Southwest miles which is actually a great perk of the Chase rewards program..
Diggity
AG
They make a big deal about the upgraded wifi when you sign into the network. Seems silly in 2022
JMac03
AG
Platinum was great this past week in Frankfurt as it got access to the lounge. Probably the best lounge I've been in as far as food/drink.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.