Concan recommendations ?

1,884 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tmaggies
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Staying for a week in mid July with my wife/kids plus my parents/siblings. My kids are 4 and 5, there's another 6 month old coming.

I have a state park pass and booked a few days for Garner entry

Any other recommendations for things like kayak, tubing fishing, etc.

My wife's birthday is one day while we're out there so looking for ideas. Maybe horseback riding or something like that? Any place to for her to get a massage out there?
Matsui
AG
River isn't moving. It's just a pool. No tubing or kayaking
AgsMyDude
AG
Dang. Fishing?
UmustBKidding
My sister's place at the top of cats claw mountain, 50f from the local water sud storage tank and even they had no water. Had to drive to uvalde and fill containers to cook drink wash and flush. Hope it gets better but was so bad they volunteered to move my mother from katy to Conroe.
https://www.bethelbethesdaconcan.com/bethesda
Diggity
AG
We just stayed at Frio Country.

As mentioned, there ain't no tubing right now. Some decent little swim holes but nothing like usual.

Thankfully our place was on a private well because I've heard lots of issues with water in those parts right now.
AgsMyDude
AG
Mind listing any of the swim holes you went to or heard about?
Diggity
AG
You mentioned GSP. There's some decent spots to swim and use the rope swings along the main part of the park. It's definitely more shallow than you might be used to though.

We just hung out at Frio Country but Neil's is always fun as well. They have a large parking lot right there where you can park for 15 bucks or so.

There's a few places (Neil's included) that have live music at night so check out the schedule and have your folks watch the kids one of the nights.
brownandred
Cancel and go somewhere else
AgsMyDude
AG
Thanks!

We'll definitely check out Neil's. Looks like a cool spot, especially for a date night or two
AgsMyDude
AG
HighPriorityAg said:

Cancel and go somewhere else

Do you want to cover the cancellation fees?
TXCityAggie
AG
I went two summers ago and stayed at Neil's...don't care to return. It was packed and the river wasn't moving in most places. Getting from the start to the finish was a pain in the ass.
ladyinmaroon11
AG
The Frio Bat Flight tour was fun, we had kids there from ages 3-14 and everyone enjoyed it. You can pre-book the tour online, but there will also be signs at all the local places.

Look up Mager's Crossing for another swimming hole in the area. Like previously mentioned, the water is at an all time low so no tubing or kayaking this year. Best bet is to find a swimming area like Neal's/Magers/Garner and hang for a couple of hours.

Also check out Concan Pie's - really good, but they sell out every day. Josh's has a little coffee/gelato place inside. There used to be a putt putt golf place on River Road, not sure if it's there anymore.
Diggity
AG
not sure about putt putt on River Road but they have it at Garner State Park (right next to where the dance is).

If you do go to the park, and have kids old enough for it, it's always fun to take them to the dance at night. No better place for your kids to practice their two-stepping (and learn all the steps to "Whip It")
AgsMyDude
AG
If we go to Neil's it'll be in the middle of the week and there's not tubing so hopefully the swimming hole isn't slammed
Diggity
AG
we were there the week leading up to July 4th weekend and traffic was definitely down from last year.

I doubt Neil's (or anywhere) will be too slammed this Summer.
tmaggies
AG
If you like trashy crowds with dueling music Neals is the place for you. Unfortunately we won't return to a place that was once a great family retreat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.