Texas Beaches

3,775 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a good beach that's a bit off the radar. We did surfside beach and it was great, but way too many people. The sand was perfect though ( for texas beaches anyways).
JMac03
AG
I really like Padre but it was pretty busy. Now we would walk down the beach aways and there were areas where there was no one. Not sure how easy it would be to park and get there but we stayed at the Courtyard which is towards the end. Maybe an 8 minute walk from there it was pretty bare.
BmtAg96
AG
Crystal Beach is pretty chill. You can drive your vehicle on it too
wildmen09
AG
We went to White Cap Beach just south of Port A. The kids loved the sand, awesome to drive on to just need the pass. The waves were pretty rough but we had a blast!
lawless89
BmtAg96 said:

Crystal beach is the opposite of chill.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Depends on what flavor chill you like.
COSCAG67
AG
I have little kids so my flavor is fewer drunken idiots dropping f bombs and speeding up and down the beach.
Tx95Ag
AG
Matagorda, if you have 4WD. Just go down a mile or so and there is no crowd. Can have very nice water and nice fluffy sand. I can't stress 4WD enough here.
Ag with kids
AG
wildmen09 said:

We went to White Cap Beach just south of Port A. The kids loved the sand, awesome to drive on to just need the pass. The waves were pretty rough but we had a blast!
Three minutes from my house...

We go down a little further and turn by the horse barn so we're south of Bob Hall (well...while it's still there).
AggieKO
AG
lawless89 said:

BmtAg96 said:

Parents have a place there so we go very often. Can confirm, opposite of chill
txags92
AG
Take a 4WD a few miles south of the 4WD only signs on the Padre Island National Seashore and you will have the beach to yourself most of the time.
Ag CPA
AG
COSCAG67 said:

I have little kids so my flavor is fewer drunken idiots dropping f bombs and speeding up and down the beach.
Besides the weeks around SB, South Padre is pretty low-key. No vehicles on the beach and a lot of families.
JMac03
AG
AggieKO said:

lawless89 said:

BmtAg96 said:

So glad someone else said this. I grew up going to that beach. Can't ever imagine recommending it to someone.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Sounds to me like you are headed to Matagorda beach!
Ag with kids
AG
txags92 said:

Take a 4WD a few miles south of the 4WD only signs on the Padre Island National Seashore and you will have the beach to yourself most of the time.
And make SURE it's 4WD because you won't have cell service the second you hit PINS...
AggieOO
I'd say padre during the week. Drive north past all the hotels.
SA68AG
AG
South Padre Island
txags92
AG
Great beach, but not worth the extra drive to get there if all he is looking for is a quiet beach. North Padre fits the bill and is alot closer to most of Texas.
SA68AG
AG
txags92 said:

Great beach, but not worth the extra drive to get there if all he is looking for is a quiet beach. North Padre fits the bill and is alot closer to most of Texas.
Disagree.

No traffic is allowed on the southern of tip south Padre which makes it much safer for children. Also you don't have the teenage trash factor driving up and down the beach.

They clean the beaches everyday and it's much more family friendly. You can also zip over to Brownsville for the Zoo which is quite nice.

We live in SA and have found the extra couple of hours drive time to be well worth it
COSCAG67
AG
I've never been to padre… does the sand / water have the same appearance as the rest of the texas beaches, or is padre any better?
Ag CPA
AG
txags92 said:

I don't know; we hit N Padre annually (was at Gulfstream two weeks ago) and yes it is better than the nonsense you encounter further up the coast but it still does not compare to S Padre. As you pointed out though, one should consider whether or not the extra drive is worth it.
txags92
AG
The water is still not crystal blue like the caribbean, but it is significantly clearer the further south you go along the coast. North padre is way better than anything around galveston/surfside/bolivar, but south padre is a little better.

As far as traffic on the beach, if you get a mile or two beyond the 4wd only signs on PINS, you are not going to have to deal with hardly anybody else unless you are there on a holiday weekend. We were there memorial day weekend a few years back and we went to about 15 miles south of the signs and had nobody within a quarter mile in either direction.
SA68AG
AG
COSCAG67 said:

I've never been to padre… does the sand / water have the same appearance as the rest of the texas beaches, or is padre any better?
I think the water clarity and sand is significantly superior to most other Texas beaches. Sand is a lot lighter and finer than Galveston.

Typically you don't have to worry about large surf or undertow which is something to consider with kids. You can also walk a long way out from the beach before it gets too deep.

Having said that, it's not nearly as spectacular as the Florida panhandle beaches.

Expect it to be the best in Texas but don't expect the white sand or water like Destin.
Ag with kids
AG
txags92 said:

The water is still not crystal blue like the caribbean, but it is significantly clearer the further south you go along the coast. North padre is way better than anything around galveston/surfside/bolivar, but south padre is a little better.

As far as traffic on the beach, if you get a mile or two beyond the 4wd only signs on PINS, you are not going to have to deal with hardly anybody else unless you are there on a holiday weekend. We were there memorial day weekend a few years back and we went to about 15 miles south of the signs and had nobody within a quarter mile in either direction.
JFC...during covid, this wasn't the case. We drove 10 miles down PINS numerous times and there were still lots of people. Prior to covid that wasn't the case.

It's been awhile since we've headed down there though so maybe it's slowing down.

Still a lot of folks on N Padre now, though.
AustinCountyAg
You need a 4star Jeep or will normal 4wd 1/2 ton work?
txags92
AG
I think some of that was because the beaches within municipal limits were being closed due to power hungry idiot politicians. I haven't been down there post Covid, but I would be surprised if it is that crowded now with everything open.
txags92
AG
To be honest it depends on the conditions. When we did that trip a few years ago, I went 15miles down in a 2wd Tacoma and had no issues. If it has been dry and the tide is up forcing you to drive in the unpacked sand, I would want a serious 4wd rig with good tread on it. As long as the tide is not up from a strong onshore wind or tropical system, any 4wd and typical recovery gear will get you out as long as you aren't doing something stupid like trying to drive back through the dunes.
CinchAG97
Family and I went to SPI once from College Station. I think it was 7 hours.

I can be in Panama City Beach in 11 hours. Destin is a bit closer. Gulf Shores even closer. I'll gladly drive east on I-10 a few hours extra than go back to SPI. So much depends on where in Texas you live.

With all of that said, earlier this summer we took the RV down to Port Aransas and had a great time. 5.5 hours.
JMac03
AG
Not the best photo but def the best beaches in Texas. It is pretty clear. And like someone else said you can go out a ways before it gets deep.
Ag with kids
AG
txags92 said:

I think some of that was because the beaches within municipal limits were being closed due to power hungry idiot politicians. I haven't been down there post Covid, but I would be surprised if it is that crowded now with everything open.
Do NOT get me...or anyone else on the island...started on Canales. She screwed EVERYTHING up.

But, I think a lot of it was that everywhere else was closed, combined with lots of people working remotely. We had someone from Austin stay in our condo for several months just to get away from the restrictions there...she was working remotely, so why not with a Gulf view....

I HOPE it's more sane now...

Like I said...it's been a while since I've hit PINS.
ChipFTAC01
AG
JMac03 said:

AggieKO said:

lawless89 said:

BmtAg96 said:

So glad someone else said this. I grew up going to that beach. Can't ever imagine recommending it to someone.

We got into a routine of going to the beach with some families for memorial day weekend. Rotated between Galveston and SPI. My wife recommended this place on Bolivar based on a friend's recommendation. I hadn't been there since HS; she had never been. The house itself was great, front row on the beach, but the reaction to the scene on Crystal Beach was preety hilarious. We all had little kids at the time and it was definitely not a kid friendly (or safe) environment.
NoahAg
BmtAg96 said:

Which is the worst thing about Texas beaches. Actually, the people might be the worst thing. It's close. To me it's worth the 8 hour drive to visit Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Alabama. Cleaner beaches, cleaner water. No idiot bros speeding down the beach. No thugs.
Let's go, Brandon!
HollywoodBQ
AG
lawless89 said:

BmtAg96 said:

username checks out
LCE
AG
https://www.seagullcondos.com/live-surf-cam/

During week very few people.
AggieKO
AG
JMac03 said:

AggieKO said:

lawless89 said:

BmtAg96 said:

Don't get me wrong I love going down there with friends and fishing and chilling on the beach. But as someone mentioned above, it's definitely not a family beach. More of a day drinking/party beach.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.