Cody, Wyoming

1,201 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EMY92
Aggie Hunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Cody for the rodeo this weekend. Taking the family and looking at some must do's. I had planning on going into the park one or two mornings but need to be back for rodeo that evening so anything you recommend seeing on east side of park or around Cody?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
Travelag08
Artists Point is great! And walk down to the Brink of the Lower Falls at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
ChoppinDs40
AG
Is the Cody entrance closed or just Gardner?
Aggie Hunter
AG
I was told the cody entrance opened back up this last week.
EMY92
AG
Getting to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone can be a long trek. With traffic restricted to the south loop, expect that once you're in the park you'll average only 15 to 20 MPH.

Also, Yellowstone has gone to a system where the last number on your license plate determines if you can enter that day. Odd numbered plates on odd days, even on even days.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Wow that's good information I appreciate that. Anything in cody y'all recommend. I will be at the rodeo each night, eating at Irma's, probably go see the dam, anything else y'all can think of?
Big Bucks
AG
They have a HUGE museum in town and the tickets give you two days of admission. It is divided into five sections like a wagon wheel and well worth your time. One section has Winchester's collection of firearms and is basically the history of firearms, the different types, etc. Highly recommend on a day you can't go into the park or a rainy or very hot day.
Tex Ag 81
AG
Buffalo Bill Cody museum might be worth investigating. I saw it several years ago.
Riverdancer
The Buffalo Bill Center is a world class museum with the western art museum, Plains Indian museum, Buffalo Bill memorabilia, and the Winchester museum. If you are contemplating a trip into Yellowstone, be sure to get an early start. It's almost an hour drive to the East Entrance from Cody. Entrance into the Park is on alternating days based on license plate numbers. Apparently one day last week, the line of cars waiting to get in the West entrance was 5 miles long. Check with the Cody locals on the current situation. Even if you don't go into Yellowstone, you can drive up to the East entrance along the North Fork of the Shoshone River. On the way, you can stop and look at the Buffalo Bill dam. The scenery up the North Fork is beautiful with amazing rock formations and you should see a few bison and some Big Horn sheep. Although less likely, you could see elk, a grizzly or a wolf if you take your time and keep your eyes peeled. The cow elk were in the lower hay meadows about a month ago for calving season but I don't know if they are still there. There are also lots of campgrounds and picnic spots along the river. Northwest of Cody is the Chief Joseph Highway, which is a spectacular drive. You can drive on into Cooke City, Montana, another little tourist town. I'd check on road conditions for that area too. The Beartooth Highway which runs between Cooke City and Red Lodge, Montana is closed due to flood damage. Just take a picnic lunch wherever you end up and enjoy your time in the mountains. If you do spend a day in Cody, there's a lot going on centered around the 4th of July parade..
Aggie Hunter
AG
Great info thank you sir. Looks like Yellowstone is going to be a mess maybe making some tour on the small towns around cody since I have some the museum.
Riverdancer
I didn't realize that the rodeo doesn't start until 8 pm on the 2nd and 3rd. You should be able to do the South loop in Yellowstone on one of those days if you get an early start. Call the Visitor Center 836 Sheridan Avenue, 307-587-2777 to get an update on travel times and possible congestion at the different sights. Even if you do a quick trip through, you'll know where you want to visit longer when you come back!
EMY92
AG
When I went 2 years ago, the east side of the figure 8 were closed for road work. I arrived mid afternoon, it took me 3 hours to drive from the entrance closest to Cody to where I was staying right next to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. The worst area was near Old Faithful. It was still very slow until the Canyon turn off.

If you are an early morning person, then you can do it easily.

I would get out and about well before sunrise, do things until 10 am, then take a break. By 10 am, the park was packed. From 9 or 10 am, to 4 pm, the park is packed. Before or after and it's like you have the place to yourself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.