Coco, Costa Rica

1,119 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bullpen Chias
CrockerCock00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to take the wife and kids (8 & 9) to Costa Rica for a few weeks. We've settled on going to Coco, but one hang up we're having is because of the kids' age, there are multiple activities (diving/long hikes in the natl park, and night life) that wouldn't be feasible. Originally, we were going to take one of our parents, but none of them are avail.

My question here is two fold:
1) what activities in that area would be great for kids that age?
2) does anyone know of any camps/day activity adventure things for kids that we could perhaps drop them off for half a day while getting some dives in at the Catalinas?

Reality is setting in with my wife that this isn't really going to be vacation, but a living away from home, since we'll basically be doing the same stuff we do on a day to day basis, without any support structure that we rely on at home.
stardustag
AG
do the kids have to come with you? noone can babysit them for a few days?

i know the pain... yes with kids they are trips, not vacations. Not sure if I would trust total strangers in a different country with my kids though... in the US is a different story.

One possible option you can look into may be slightly nicer hotels/resorts that has on-site childcare. For example, Four Seasons in *****ula Papagayo has childcare... I know it's not Coco... but maybe one of the nicer resorts in Coco has on-site childcare?
CrockerCock00
AG
Yeah, the kids have to come, as my wife wants them to get a chance to get immersed in another culture.
bam02
AG
I would imagine you could find a young (college age) person (female) who would go for a free trip if they (she) just had to watch some kids for a few hours a couple of times and the rest of the time they (she) could just hang out and sunbathe. I would think.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Sounds miserable
oldarmy76
https://paloverdeboattours.com/tour/palo-verde-boat-tours/

Just did this and found it very enjoyable. Saw crocodiles, howler monkeys, white face monkeys, birds, bats, etc.
it was about an hour drive (but very scenic and fun to get out I. Countryside).
The Lost
T&P, imo at that age you're not really getting immersed in another culture, especially if you're just going to be at a resort most of the time anyways.

You can always try and convince her that you'll do Europe when they're older or something, but I think you have a losing battle.
Wicked Good Ag
bam02 said:

I would imagine you could find a young (college age) person (female) who would go for a free trip if they (she) just had to watch some kids for a few hours a couple of times and the rest of the time they (she) could just hang out and sunbathe. I would think.

I will do it if son can come and you help out with expenses
CrockerCock00
AG
The plan is to go the Airbnb route, so we have a better chance of getting more of the local culture.

Had brought up the idea of taking a friend's kid with us, but we don't have any in the appropriate age range.
AGBU94
AG
CrockerCock00 said:

Looking to take the wife and kids (8 & 9) to Costa Rica for a few weeks. We've settled on going to Coco, but one hang up we're having is because of the kids' age, there are multiple activities (diving/long hikes in the natl park, and night life) that wouldn't be feasible. Originally, we were going to take one of our parents, but none of them are avail.

My question here is two fold:
1) what activities in that area would be great for kids that age?
2) does anyone know of any camps/day activity adventure things for kids that we could perhaps drop them off for half a day while getting some dives in at the Catalinas?

Reality is setting in with my wife that this isn't really going to be vacation, but a living away from home, since we'll basically be doing the same stuff we do on a day to day basis, without any support structure that we rely on at home.
I wish that I could help you on this one. We didn't take our kids to Costa Rica until our youngest was 17. Beyond the beaches, tours and volcanos, I am not even sure what I would consider for a child that age. I would suggest that if this trip is not within the next few weeks, to join one of the Costa Rica facebook groups. There are people there posting all of the time about housesitting/petsitting opportunities and this might fall into that same realm. I know kids aren't the same as petsitting, but usually the people posting are younger families/tourists looking to find some type of arrangement. I don't know that I would go that route with my own children, so that may not be an option due to my lack of trust with people.

Another avenue may be to get in touch with a local. Sarah Elena (also on Facebook) is an expat in Costa Rica. She has a young daughter, and she might be able to offer you some suggestions.

As far as activities go, Rincon de la vieja is not too far away and could be a family activity. Also, (again depending on the time) whale watching and turtle watching could be an engaging activity.
stardustag
AG
bam02 said:

This is actually not a bad idea... advertise for a baby-sitter job and see if he/she would be willing to travel with you. I am sure there's a gazillion college age kids who's willing to take that job. I would!
Bullpen Chias
AG
Was just in Coco on Sunday. Took a boat out for a half day. Kids should like that. We saw several dolphin and hit some beaches and got up close with a capuchin. Fun times. We didn't care about fishing or snorkeling, but could have done both.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.