Amsterdam Airport Issues

5,589 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bjh19
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More issues I'm hearing of are getting into the airport, not connecting flights. I've seen photos of lines wrapped around the building outside.
et98
AG
JMac03 said:

More issues I'm hearing of are getting into the airport, not connecting flights. I've seen photos of lines wrapped around the building outside.
That could be. Departure from a city is quite different than connecting through it. And we didn't change airlines and our luggage was handled for us, but there didn't seem to be any issues with that process.
Comeby!
AG
et98 said:

JMac03 said:

That could be. Departure from a city is quite different than connecting through it. And we didn't change airlines and our luggage was handled for us, but there didn't seem to be any issues with that process.

This is correct. We departed through it, a massive cluster. I'm glad connecting was ok.
EASyAg06
AG
I Just did this within the last three days. We were in Amsterdam and flew to Copenhagen so we had to go through main security, and then we came from Copenhagen to houston through Amsterdam so I got to see both sides.

The connecting flight through Amsterdam wasn't bad. I had a two hour layover at 10am and it took me about an hour to get through the passport line and rescan my bag before heading to houston.

The main security was an absolute nightmare. I have never seen anything like it. There's a now famous Twitter video of the Amsterdam security line a couple of weeks ago that I can't find but it was similar. Flight to Copenhagen was around 10am. Hotel told us to get there five hours early so arrived at the airport around 5am. One of the guys in our group was flying back to houston even earlier at 7am and he said when he got to the airport at 2am it was chaos.

Thank god I carried on my bag because just the check in line was about 1.5 hours before you even got into the massive security line. I finally got in line around 530 once I figured out where to go since no one helps and there are random lines everywhere. It took me about 2 hours just to get back into the airport. Most of the line is outside that snakes through tents they set up and around the airport. Once in and scanned my passport I then entered the actual security line. The security line took about 1.5 additional hours. Someone mentioned before it was like Epcot. I thought I would get close and then turned the corner and realized there so many more lines to go through. All told for me was about 3.5-4hrs without having to check anything. My flight was delayed a good three hours so it really wouldn't have mattered but it was definitely not fun.

On the other hand, the rest of my group was flying back to the states. They were flying United and delta through terminal E and they said it seemed empty. They were at the gate in less than an hour. So they just drank at the bar for an additional four hours. The europe flights going through gates A-D are where the giant lines are.

I hope that helps a little. As with everything you never really know. My boss went through two weeks ago and said his was only about two hours.
EASyAg06
AG
I found the video.

This was after the check in line. And once you get back inside you go another 100ft before you scan your passport and head up to the main security lines.
schmendeler
AG
This doesn't seem like it would be a normal level of passenger traffic. Is other traffic being diverted to Amsterdam that isn't normally?
JMac03
AG
Very helpful. I carried on coming but was going to check returning home but maybe I won't. Praying I'm in E since I'm on United. Wont know for a few more days (fly out Tuesday).
EASyAg06
AG
I'm honestly not sure. Like I said I had never seen that many people. Mine wasn't quite as bad bad as the video but we were still through the tents. We heard the usual excuses such as short staff and klm strike issues but I have no idea. There were also a lot of cancellations the day before according to a passenger I spoke with so we were probably also dealing with a lot of those passengers.
Comeby!
AG
schmendeler said:

This doesn't seem like it would be a normal level of passenger traffic. Is other traffic being diverted to Amsterdam that isn't normally?

That line isn't for layovers. It's for folks departing from Amsterdam.
Comeby!
AG
EASyAg06 said:

I'm honestly not sure. Like I said I had never seen that many people. Mine wasn't quite as bad bad as the video but we were still through the tents. We heard the usual excuses such as short staff and klm strike issues but I have no idea. There were also a lot of cancellations the day before according to a passenger I spoke with so we were probably also dealing with a lot of those passengers.

You saw and experienced the exact same thing I did. It was unreal. Makes me want to get a private jet.
schmendeler
AG
Right, like have other airports reduced their load and Amsterdam hasn't for some reason?
JMac03
AG
So my experience today was pretty darn good. I came earlier than I should have. Flight at 11:15AM, I had the option of 5:45 or 7 am shuttle so I did 5:45.

20 min drive to airport.
We waited downstairs til 6:30.
Didn't check bags (that line looked long and it said for the 11:15
Flight the desk didn't open til 8:15).
Took about 40-45 min from getting in line in D and making it through security.

Now just sitting in the lounge.

So all in all it couldn't have gone better. But we will see what my travel agent friends experienced when they get here. They are checking bags but they are business class and that line was much shorter to drop the bags.
AgMomofTwo
JMac, keep us posted. Headed over there early Sept. Thinking of taking a carry on as well??
JMac03
AG
My experience was great. 45 minutes max. Now it probably helped we were early in the morning but everything kept moving. Have about 3 hours til I land in Houston.

I'm haven't heard of any of the other agents having issues other than flight cancellations. One got a voucher to change days, and then the next flight was cancelled so I told her to ask for compensation for the cancelled flight. Another agent posted 30 min through security.
Comeby!
AG
My luggage showed up in one piece this weekend. No emails, no texts, no notifications. 3 suitcases on my doorstep.

Thank goodness. Had my 2 best Bobby Garia suits and about 5-6 custom shirts.
redaszag99
Any update on AMS Schipol delays?

We are flying thru AMS to IAH Saturday and what was a 2 hr layover has turned into a 7+ hour layover because KLM changed our flight to IAH

Can't get Anne Frank house tickets, never been to Amsterdam, but don't want to wait in security for 5 hours if we leave the airport
redaszag99
Also, we are flying FCO (Rome) AMS IAH All on KLM

Will we be required to pick up and recheck luggage at AMS?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
We flew through AMS yesterday and it was a breeze. We chose a long layover and enjoyed the city.

Regular security when we returned yesterday evening to the airport was very light. We had SkyPriority and had no wait.
redaszag99
Don't have to get our luggage in AMS

We went from domestic to international inside the terminal and it took about 45 minutes. If we didn't have kids I think we could have used the face scanner and had no line
Vernada
AG
Wife was in/ out two weeks ago with zero issues. Maybe 30 minutes for security to get in.
bjh19
AG
Connected there two weeks ago to Croatia. Very easy and yes didn't have to go get our bags. What's odd is Croatia isn't in the EU travel zone yet ( Jan 1st I think) so we figured we'd have to go through everything but didn't. We did in Croatia but that was two minutes. All on KLM
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.