Le Blanc (Cabo) vs Unico (Riviera Maya)

5,336 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by strohag
nkc1981
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and my wife are looking to plan a trip somewhere in April and were trying to figure out where to go. For anyone that's been to both of these, how would you rank/compare them? Ive looked at older posts in regards to both and they seem to come highly recommended.

Any other recommendations for all-inclusive resorts in Mexico or the caribbean that anyone thinks would be better options to consider, or at least on-par to these? Dont want to spend more than the price range these are in. The only location I'm ruling out is Cancun, but anywhere else I'm open to.
JMac03
AG
Le Blanc's beach is sooo much better. Food and service will be slightly better too. Unico is larger and a little more spread out. Le Blanc is located in the hotel zone, so close to many things. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Other great options: Secrets Maroma, Atelier, Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Le Blanc Los Cabos is my fave resort ever.
nkc1981
AG
Just to clarify, are your first comments about Le Blanc refferring to the one in Cancun or Cabo? For the Le Blanc route, I'd only be looking at the one in Cabo.
breezecustomtravel
AG
I've stayed at both Le Blanc Cabo and Unico Riviera Maya and I will agree and give the edge to Le Blanc Cabo.

While Unico is a great resort and you can't go wrong with staying there - the amenities and service at Le Blanc Cabo were better in my opinion.

Beach is better at Cabo, you can't get in the ocean, but their infinity pool lines the beach and is so nice. Unico beach was ok, rocky in some areas and I've heard they can deal with seaweed...I didn't have an issue but we were there late fall.

Both have a butler or host service and Le Blanc's actually worked and you could contact them for anything. Unico - we always had a hard time reaching our host and he was only around for a few hours a day.
Spa at Le Blanc was awesome!
All of the food was amazing at the restaurants...but Unico had really good food too.
Unico has swim out rooms and Le Blanc doesn't...
I think those are all the main differences.

Will also second - Secrets Maroma or Secrets Akumal, Atelier, and Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Feel free to reach out if you need help booking or want to see some pics/videos of these resorts - I'm happy to help!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
nkc1981
AG
Thanks very much for all of that info. Based on pics/youtube videos, property-wise I would say Le Blanc Cabo looks about as nice as any of the places I've looked at (not counting resorts outside of the budget), but the main downside to there is not being able to get in the water at the beach or do water activities like cayaks. Not a big deal to me but my wife would like to ideally (still not a dealbreaker). So having that option at Unico as well as a front ocean view room seem to be the only advantages I see there - although it sounds like the beach at Unico is average at best.

I'll also look into the other suggestions yall said. Off-hand, any advantages/dis-advantages to any of those, or does it really boil down to personal preference at some point?

JMac03
AG
Both beaches are far superior to Unico. I love love love the Cabo one. But like mentioned about, you cannot get in the ocean at Cabo. But you can look at it all day long

They have a really nice infinity pool. Note these were taken right before a hurricane so it's not sunny and bright.

drumboy
AG
I've only stayed at LeBlanc Cabo and it was very nice. We had a butler but I basically told him we didn't need him to unpack our **** or draw our bath but then it was a PITA to make all of the reservations. Escalade picking us up from the airport was a nice touch.
nkc1981
AG
For anyone that stayed at Le Blanc, did yall spend time at any other beaches nearby that are swimmable? If we'd be able to just take a cab to somewhere like Chileno Beach to hang out a day or two for a few hours, seems that would solve that. Didnt realize Chileno was only a few miles away.
JMac03
AG
We didn't, but I was also there during a hurricane lol. I'm sure if we went back we would as my husband loves to get into the ocean. Just know currents might still be pretty rough.
nkc1981
AG
We've narrowed it down to Le Blanc in Cabo, Secrets Maroma or Serets Akumal.

We've been to Cabo 7 or so years ago, but didnt go the all-inclusive route (went with family and stayed at a budget hotel since we spent most of the trip doing activities/excursions), but this trip we plan to mainly rest & relax other than maybe 1 excursion - so it'd be a completely different experience either way. Basically trying to decide if we'd rather visit a completely new environment with a really nice beach right there and possibly do a tour thatd be unique to that area, or go to Cabo, which we know we love and since Le Blanc probably looks the nicest/most high-end on paper (although I also do like the more tropical looking grounds at both Secrets resorts). Tough decision!
JMac03
AG
Secrets Akumal is a public beach - so sometimes vendors can be an issue.

I love Secrets Maroma. The only negative was the mosquitos right at dusk. Didn't last long but you couldn't be outside at that particular time.

It's a tough decision. Le Blanc is amazing but the beach is really nice at Maroma if seaweed isn't present.
nkc1981
AG
Any glaring differences you noticed in the overall vibe between the two Secrets resorts or if one of them can be expected to be more crowded (not necessarily in regards to the beach since I know Akumal's would be busier)? Definitely prefer less crowded/more laidback. Does the property overall at one seem to be nicer? I know Akumal opened about 7 years later, so didn't know if that fact was blatantly obvious when comparing the two.
JMac03
AG
I have not been to Akumal, just my experience from clients and other travel agents. Secrets Maroma tends to be one of the consistently higher rated resorts amongst all the agents.

I've don't ever see anything negative about either. Akumal would be a good bit further from the airport.
John Beckwith
AG
Tossing in my opinion here. I had Secrets Maroma booked for May but cancelled a couple weeks ago and booked LeBlanc Cabo due to some seaweed forecasts I read for April/May. Seems like it was expected to be on the high side and imo that ruins the great beach they have at Maroma.

There's also a brand new secrets in Playa del Carmen, Secrets Moxche that looks really nice.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I went LeBlanc in July and it was great. You've received everything in the replies I would have posted already. Only thing I would add is that I would probably look at booking a low floor room without a view and then spend the money you saved everyday on a private cabana near the infinity pool. I love the views but I was only in the room at night…

GarlandAg2012
AG
I went to Secrets Maroma Beach in March of 21 and it was incredible. Very good vibes, great food, good drinks. There was some seaweed but I think it must not have been a big seaweed time of year. It was picked up by employees twice per day or so. Out in the water you might feel a piece float past you but not often. It wasnt an issue at all. They seemed very diligent about picking it up to keep the beach nice.
nealan
Why no swimming in Cabo? Currents?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Yes
04aggiegirl
AG
I like La Blanc Cancun much more than Secrets Maroma. We have been to Maroma several times but still prefer La blanc, I thought the food was better and prefer the smaller hotel feel of La blanc (Cancun). The rooms at Maroma are nicer though.
strohag
AG
nealan said:

Why no swimming in Cabo? Currents?

Sea of Cortez side you may be able to swim depending on resort area. I've stayed on Pacific side numerous times and most of the time the waves are slamming so hard you would definitely drown or be swept away. There was one January where we went and the Pacific was glass. Literally no waves. We were able to actually hangout in the water. Like i said that was a fluke experience. Don't plan on getting in the Pacific.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.