Napa Valley

2,499 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
stegler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning a 4 night visit to Napa Valley with the wife. Any hotel/resort recommendations and must visit wineries? This will be our first trip to the area.

Sorry if already posted. Tried to search and did not see many posts about Napa. Thanks all.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Don't know much about Napa but from the recommendation of this board we stayed in Healdsburg. A smaller less crowded town. It was outstanding, great small town square with very good restaurants and wineries everywhere. We stayed in a great vrbo that had old vines right outside the door. I highly recommend Healdsburg.
YouBet
AG
Healdsburg is cool. We really enjoyed our day there. Sat at a hotel bar with Peter Fonda.

My lone recommendation that is head and shoulders above anyplace else I've ever been there is a wine tasting at Caldwell. I'm not even sure he does this anymore but if you can get a personal wine tasting with John F'ing Caldwell it's a bucket list level event.

Think Herb Kelleher to airlines and that's what this guy is in the wine business.

https://www.caldwellvineyard.com/
beachfront71
AG

Hotel prices are nuts right now but we like Yountville for the location.
Farmstead and AdHoc are great dinner choices...Mustards for lunch outside ..
Martin87
AG
Can't help w Napa, but if you are interested in Sonoma - Try River's End for both restaurant and cabin...great view. Favorite wineries are Passalacqua and Lambert Bridge near Healdsburg. Need reservation for Passalacqua but it is worth it.
An Ag in CO
AG
https://www.meadowood.com
Sully Dog
No offense OP, but there have been a ton of Napa threads over the years. If you don't have very specific questions you might find a lot more information by using the seach function rather than waiting for people to reply.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
katy91
AG
We spent the past weekend in Napa/Sonoma. If you have a rental car,then both are really close together. For Sonoma we purchased a Tasting pass which had around 10 winery options to visit. We visited 4 in a day which was almost one too many. In Napa we visited Chandon and Fisher Vineyards. Fisher was far and away the best experience. All of the places we visited had a different vibe to them which was nice. We stayed in an AirBNB in Sonoma. Not the greatest experience but it was a nice place to lay down at night. Reservations are required at just about every Winery we visited and if you want to hit the nicer restaurants, you should call ahead as well. It was a great trip and I'm sure you will be happy wherever you end up.
PleaseNoL01
Hotel Healdsburg is one of my very favorite hotels. Highly recommend!
mpl35
AG
There are several really good threads already. I found them back when I went a few years ago. The best rec I got was Venge. It is reservation only so it is never crowded. Great wine. Quiet location.

Do addendum and thanks me later. Best fried chicken I've ever had. And it's cheap. Only "restaurant" we hit twice in the week we were there.

Try the food and spirits forum.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2959913

TXCityGirl
We loved Sonoma. The town square is cool and the original Williams Sonoma store is neat. Wineries - Gundlach Bundschu is beautiful and tasty. Ate brunch at Boon Fly Cafe and loved it.
RenoAg
First time going to a real winery and we're going to Napa next week. We have completely unrefined palates. Only experience I have is walking through Fredericksburg and walking into a few of those in that downtown area. I don't expect this is anything like that. Not looking to drop huge coin on the highest end places or highest quality wines that we couldn't appreciate anyway. It's just a trip to get away and relax for a couple days. We'd be fine at the "Walmarts" of Napa wineries. Any advice towards that agenda? What's acceptable attire? Business casual? Is nice shorts and polo shirts or button down ok?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
"Walmarts of Napa"

My man . lol.

Dress comfortable, shorts, polos, t shirts, basically what you wear to Walmart.
YouBet
AG
RenoAg said:

First time going to a real winery and we're going to Napa next week. We have completely unrefined palates. Only experience I have is walking through Fredericksburg and walking into a few of those in that downtown area. I don't expect this is anything like that. Not looking to drop huge coin on the highest end places or highest quality wines that we couldn't appreciate anyway. It's just a trip to get away and relax for a couple days. We'd be fine at the "Walmarts" of Napa wineries. Any advice towards that agenda? What's acceptable attire? Business casual? Is nice shorts and polo shirts or button down ok?
Good thing for you is that pretty much any place you walk into is probably going to blow you away. I'm actually kind of jealous.
Fis4Favorite
We love Napa! We have stayed a few times in the area and are planning a trip back in December.

Favorite Wineries:
Aonair
Reverie
V.Sattui (they have great snacks and picnic food)
Del Dotto (pricey, but worth it.)
Clif Family
Domaine Carneros (Sparkling)

Favorite Place to Stay:
Harvest Inn in St. Helena

Restaurants:
Ad Hoc
Harvest Table
Pizzaria Tra Vigne
Bounty Hunter Wine Bar and BBQ (downtown Napa)

I also recommend making time to walk through Muir Woods if you are flying into SFO. Its just across the Golden Gate Bridge, but was a cool experience. You may need reservations to enter the park.

stegler
AG
That you all! Very helpful and I appreciate it.

BTHO the piggies!
RenoAg
Muir Woods is already on our agenda. Separate day. Going to Alamere Waterfalls that day too. Another day at Lake Tahoe. Napa is just a small part of our trip.
beachfront71
AG

I always end up at Grgich every trip, like the wine and history behind it..
Frank Family back porch is a great place to hang for a while.
Jarvis is a good tour, all underground ..
RenoAg
We ended up using Platypus tours. Took us to to Materra (our favorite and would recommend), Buhman (small family owned place. Very rustic. Wine was not that good), and Hoang (felt pretty average. Nothing special.). Had a great time with the other 10 people on our tour though. Wasn't pretentious or stuffy at all. Good times. Glad we did it. But we're not real wine enthusiasts that would do this multiple days like many do.
YouBet
AG
Frank Family is probably the best bang for buck in Napa. We were in the wine club for years before I cancelled it last year (my wife stopped drinking).

They had a policy forever that they didn't raise their prices simply because they could.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.