How early are yall showing up before domestic flights these days?

1,581 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DropDemNuggetz
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We haven't flown since fall of 2019 and have a flight leaving out of Austin next Wednesday at 8:30 AM. How early should we arrive?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I think it depends on the airport. We fly out of DFW and are usually there about an hour to an hour 1/2 early and that's usually plenty of time. But DFW is awesome because it has a bunch of security checkpoints, so it usually doesn't take more than 15 minutes to get through security. When we flew out of Orlando a few weeks ago though there was one security checkpoint and it took probably an hour and a half + to get through the line.

I'm not familiar with the Austin airport, so I'm sure someone else here can give you more accurate advice but I always err on the side of more time than less. I'd rather be sitting on the right side of security waiting a little longer for my flight than hanging out at my house to kill some time.

90 minutes before the boarding time seems like a safe bet
CDub06
AG
I do 60-90 minutes just to be safe. I have TSA Pre and haven't noticed a significant difference checking bags or going through expedited security recently with the exception of a couple of new Southwest flights out of IAH. The backup there was all on the people not understanding the check in process.

Been in and out of Vegas, SLC, BOI, HOU, IAH, ABQ, DEN over the last couple of months without issue. The pain point at every airport I've been to is still trying to get food at restaurants or shops. Those lines are longer than ever before. Car rental shuttles are hit or miss right now too.

EDIT: Just noticed you hadn't flown since 2019, so I'd guess you arent TSA Precheck. You experience may vary.
tamc93
AG
We flew out on a Thursday 7:00 am flight a few weeks ago from Austin. Regular lines were very long to both check bags and security. My guess is we got there by 5:00. Normally way too early for me, but my better half was right this time.

We were A list and TSA precheck, so we sped through everything in under 30 minutes. My guess is it was at least an hour through security otherwise.

Txhuntr
AG
Parked at 3:40 for a flight at 5:30 out of AUS last Friday. Had time for two beers at haymakers before it was time for boarding. *Note I didn't do any bag checking
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks y'all
chick79
AG
We went to the Aggie game in Denver last weekend. One member of our party who did not have TSA pre-check had to wait in the security line for over an hour and missed his flight. Definitely get a known traveler number and you can avoid all this.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Got to Love Field 2 hours early in July and that was too much time. Could've shown up 45 minutes to an hour before and been fine. Flew out on a Wednesday morning.
Petrino1
I think the general consensus is that for domestic flights an hour and a half before your flight is probably safe. Although it's hard to account for things like traffic, long lines, TSA worker shortage, etc.

Arrive 2 hours early just to be on the safe side.
Ag with kids
AG
chick79 said:

We went to the Aggie game in Denver last weekend. One member of our party who did not have TSA pre-check had to wait in the security line for over an hour and missed his flight. Definitely get a known traveler number and you can avoid all this.
Or get CLEAR. Works wonders when it's available. Can get the fee refunded by numerous CCs (like they do with PreCheck).

When I used it at MCO it was a godsend. Regular AND Precheck lines were LOONG.

Went to the CLEAR line. Scanned my eyeballs and was ushered past the security guy straight to baggage check.
Ag with kids
AG
But, when I fly out of CRP, I arrive about 40 min prior to my flight if I'm not checking a bag - 1 hr if I am.

Security line I've never had more than 5 people in front of me, then there's only 6 terminal gates - I'm flying out of 5 because that's the AA gate.
Ag with kids
AG
But, when I fly out of CRP, I arrive about 40 min prior to my flight if I'm not checking a bag - 1 hr if I am.

Security line I've never had more than 5 people in front of me, then there's only 6 terminal gates - I'm flying out of 5 because that's the AA gate.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I flew out of Austin on an early Monday morning in August.
As stated, security lines were long and once you got through security, food and beverage had really long lines.
I'd eat & drink before you arrive at the airport.
And I'd arrive at least 90 minutes before your flight.

EDIT: Also, pack some food with you and bring a refillable water bottle. You might get some snacks on the plane but I wouldn't count on it.
The Lost
Ag with kids said:

chick79 said:

Or get CLEAR. Works wonders when it's available. Can get the fee refunded by numerous CCs (like they do with PreCheck).

Went to the CLEAR line. Scanned my eyeballs and was ushered past the security guy straight to baggage check.

Lol at giving your eyeballs and other info to a private company like clear
Ag with kids
AG
The Lost said:

Ag with kids said:

chick79 said:

Lol at giving your eyeballs and other info to a private company like clear
Yeah...

I mean it would be like giving fingerprints to the Federal government to get Precheck...

I could have just done the fingerprints with CLEAR, but that takes longer every trip.
AustinCountyAg
Ag with kids said:

chick79 said:

this......or if you can enter through the furthest north gate at ABIA it usually is least crowded imo
DropDemNuggetz
AG
At DFW, 1.25 hours before departure (at most). I can easily feel comfortable with an hour before but usually stick with the 1.25.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.