London -- Covid test

1,714 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Petrino1
whasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be travelling to London next month for fun and was wondering about the COVID test rules. I believe I need a negative test 3 days before traveling and then one 3 days before returning but I'm seeing something about needing one 2 days after I arrive. Are they really trying to enforce that? Also, is it a big hassle to schedule one in central London.

Anyone here been to London lately?
FredMc92
We were going to go at Thanksgiving (but have pushed it to next spring), so I did some research. You have to do a test within two days, then again at eight days if you're still in the UK.

You can find a list of providers here:

https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider

(this one appears to be in central London and what I was planning to use: https://01harleystreet.co.uk/)

I would assume they will enforce it.
ATM9000
AG
whasty said:

Will be travelling to London next month for fun and was wondering about the COVID test rules. I believe I need a negative test 3 days before traveling and then one 3 days before returning but I'm seeing something about needing one 2 days after I arrive. Are they really trying to enforce that? Also, is it a big hassle to schedule one in central London.

Anyone here been to London lately?

No quarantine if you are vaccinated. But if you don't show proof of scheduling the day 2 or day 8 test if that's your situation, they aren't going to let you in (and they do check all of this stuff at the border) and if you don't show up to the appointment, there is (or was) a massive fine attached to it.

It's not that big of a hassle to book… it costs like 200 quid though at the low end. If vaccinated, I'm pretty certain the rule is day 2 or day 8 test from an amber country, not both.
whasty
AG
Thanks for the info.

Looks like the 2 day test and the "ready to fly" back to the US can be scheduled at a Boots pharmacy. They are all over London. Looks like you need the 2 day scheduled before you leave.
ATM9000
AG
whasty said:

Thanks for the info.

Looks like the 2 day test and the "ready to fly" back to the US can be scheduled at a Boots pharmacy. They are all over London. Looks like you need the 2 day scheduled before you leave.

Yup. This is good info for me too. Boots is significantly cheaper than what we thought was the standard as locals here so thanks for mentioning that.
Petrino1
Im flying to London tomorrow and booking the 2 day covid test + filling out the locator form was a complete PAIN. They definitely dont make it easy on you lol. By the way, you cant book the covid test on the normal boots pharmacy website, you have to do it through that government approved link. For a country with "free" healthcare, the covid tests sure are expensive compared to the free tests at CVS here.

Next time I will just go to florida lol.
Txgunrnnr
AG

Ok, so here's my story. Flew to London on 09/08/2021 and returned 09/17/2021. Don't even worry about the Day 8 test, no longer required. Just remember, day 0 is the day you arrive, so I arrived on Thursday and Day 2 was Saturday.

I ordered my test through www.qured.com and had it shipped to the hotel, it arrived on Friday ( day 1 ). Make sure to order it about 48 hours be departure. After testing, if ordered through Qured, you place it in a Royal Priority Box, most are marked COVID Test. Took my test my on Saturday morning, mailed it off same day and didn't even get the results until late Tuesday night. You are given a confirmation number when you order the test and, yes, this number must put on your Travel Locator Form.

Wednesday rolled around and it was time for another test to fly back. For my return test, I ordered the Abbott Labs test ( recommended by United ) and took them with me. If you use these test, make sure you have a computer or tablet, because the testing is done over Zoom and only takes about 20 minutes and you're done. Also order at least 2 per person in case something happens.

To be honest, I was worried about the whole ordering and testing process, but looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal. I hope this helps some.

ETA: You must take a PCR only test a few days before you depart. England will not accept any rapid test.

ETA2: If you can make it out to Chiswick, west London, go eat at D-Grande Tex-Mex, Aggie Owned and really good.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Petrino1
Txgunrnnr said:

To be honest, I was worried about the whole ordering and testing process, but looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal. I hope this helps some.

Totally agree with this. Im currently in London and I thought it would be a huge ordeal, but everything was pretty simple. The hardest part is filling out the travel locator form and scheduling the 2nd day covid test before the trip.

Before the trip I got a free covid test at CVS in Houston 3 days before my flight, the results came back the next day. For my 2nd day london test I got it done at this place called Link Nurse, the results came back in less than 24 hours. Pretty impressed with the turnaround times of the tests since I didnt get the rapid results or anything.
Txgunrnnr
AG
ea1060 said:

Txgunrnnr said:

Totally agree with this. Im currently in London and I thought it would be a huge ordeal, but everything was pretty simple. The hardest part is filling out the travel locator form and scheduling the 2nd day covid test before the trip.

Before the trip I got a free covid test at CVS in Houston 3 days before my flight, the results came back the next day. For my 2nd day london test I got it done at this place called Link Nurse, the results came back in less than 24 hours. Pretty impressed with the turnaround times of the tests since I didnt get the rapid results or anything.
Glad it's working out for you.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Petrino1
Txgunrnnr said:

ea1060 said:

Txgunrnnr said:

Glad it's working out for you.
Thank you. Im also surprised by how many people I see out and about not wearing masks, not even indoors. I thought London would be super covid conscious, but that hasnt been the case at all. I havent worn a mask at all except for inside an uber, but even then I dont think the drivers would care if I didnt wear one.

This makes me want to go back to London even more lol.
Txgunrnnr
AG
You're right, I think the Brits, like Texans, have given the middle finger to COVID. I only wore a mask on the first few bus or tube rides and then said **** it.

Windsor Castle, Tower of London, Tower Bridge or Churchill War Rooms never required one, even indoors.

#FJB
Petrino1
Txgunrnnr said:

You're right, I think the Brits, like Texans, have given the middle finger to COVID. I only wore a mask on the first few bus or tube rides and then said **** it.

Windsor Castle, Tower of London, Tower Bridge or Churchill War Rooms never required one, even indoors.
100%. I was walking around Picadilly st and SOHO on Friday night, HUGE crowds of people out and about enjoying their lives, zero masks. Every bar and restaurant was packed. Great sight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.