Eu travel restrictions reimposed on US citizens

4,797 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FancyKetchup14
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Supposed to leave Friday for Spain. EU decision coming down today. Second time this trip has been impacted by COVID and political issues related to it. Anyone else rethinking plans?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-reimpose-entry-ban-on-travellers-from-us-5-other-third-countries-on-monday-sources-say/
drewser95
AG
Yep. Supposed to fly to Geneva in a week to do Mont Blanc. I got the J&J vaccine, but not until 8/18 so I'm going to fall short of the 28-day requirement for France. Hoping that they will still accept just a negative test -- if not, I'm weighing between just doing a bunch of day trips around Switzerland, or cancelling altogether (Switzerland seems to allow just 14 days after the J&J).

If you're fully vaccinated, I would imagine that you'll be fine. The headlines all say "non-essential travel halted for US visitors," but reading further into each article it states that exceptions are likely for those who are fully vaccinated.

Stinks because I've got about $250 tied up in non-refundable lodging, and another $750 in non-refundable Delta travel (although that can at least be applied towards a future flight).
FancyKetchup14
AG
Supposed to be headed to Europe for a two week trip in mid-September. Flying into Prague, flying out of Germany. Will be crossing land borders via car. Sounds like the EU is is leaving it to the individuals nations to make their decision. I am thinking proof of vax (maybe negative test too) will omit you from any quarantine restrictions. I think it'll be tough to close Pandora's box after tourism money started flowing back in.
Kool
AG
Supposed to travel to Spain mid September to see Madrid, Toledo, then do the Camino Compostela de Santiago. If there is any degree of quarantining required, we will cancel. I have been wanting to do this trip for a long time, shut down my office for two weeks, etc. Ugh.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2wealfth Man
AG
Kool said:

Supposed to travel to Spain mid September to see Madrid, Toledo, then do the Camino Compostela de Santiago. If there is any degree of quarantining required, we will cancel. I have been wanting to do this trip for a long time, shut down my office for two weeks, etc. Ugh.
We are supposed to start the Camino Primitivo on Monday as well
Kool
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Kool said:

I can't find anything definitive on Spain's travel restrictions at this point. Anything you are aware of? Trying to search between patients, but can't seem to find anything.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
I simply don't think it's worth traveling anywhere outside of the US because of the uncertainty. Until we acknowledge this thing is endemic and live accordingly, we will forever be living in a yo-yo situation like this.

I'm just glad I've been there before several times, so I don't get any FOMO with others traveling to the EU these days. I really want to go to South America but they have their own set of issues.
Ag CPA
AG
Yep, besides Mexico and a few spots in the Caribbean there is no sure thing. Between this and astronomical airfares we are already planning on our travel in the coming year to be a relative bust, probably be spending time in New Mexico versus the Maldives next spring.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
There may be no sure thing for years to come, I have no faith that we will get though this and it won't be used as a political weapon for years to come
wangus12
AG
Hope you get to go. That was a really fun climb
JustPanda
AG
Get vaccinated.
Ag CPA
AG
I am vaccinated, my problem is (and this is a tangent to the thread) that as long as the US requires testing to come back home and there are significant break-through cases going on I cannot afford to get stuck in Male or Doha for an additional week or two because of a positive test where I am asymptomatic. Instead of taking a long weekend in Cabo this fall we are looking at Florida just so we don't have to mess with it.

Not trying to trigger all of the F16'ers reading this thread but they have to find a way to get around the testing requirement for the vaccinated like other countries; yes I know all of the holes in that proposal but you have to start somewhere.
FancyKetchup14
AG
One of my buddies who just returned from Europe said all he had to show was proof of vax
Kool
AG
Ag CPA said:

I am vaccinated, my problem is (and this is a tangent to the thread) that as long as the US requires testing to come back home and there are significant break-through cases going on I cannot afford to get stuck in Male or Doha for an additional week or two because of a positive test where I am asymptomatic. Instead of taking a long weekend in Cabo this fall we are looking at Florida just so we don't have to mess with it.

Not trying to trigger all of the F16'ers reading this thread but they have to find a way to get around the testing requirement for the vaccinated like other countries; yes I know all of the holes in that proposal but you have to start somewhere.

I'm in the same boat. Got vaccinated but recently had a breakthrough COVID (presumably Delta variant). I tested and have massive antibodies now. I'm somewhat concerned that I will have to get a PCR and I'll still be shedding virus particles and get quarantined. I'm essentially a solo practitioner so I've got a lot to lose if that happens. !Aye caramba Pinche Chinos!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Kool said:

Ag CPA said:

I'm in the same boat. Got vaccinated but recently had a breakthrough COVID (presumably Delta variant). I tested and have massive antibodies now. I'm somewhat concerned that I will have to get a PCR and I'll still be shedding virus particles and get quarantined. I'm essentially a solo practitioner so I've got a lot to lose if that happens. !Aye caramba Pinche Chinos!
Agreed

I just took an antibody test a week ago. I'm also hot with antibodies from the Delta in June.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Ag CPA said:

Ha Ha Ha.

Unfortunately, the opt-in caste system isn't going to work out for millions of Americans who believe that they can't get infected and can't spread the Vid because they've been vaxxed. Variants baby.

Hmmm... there's a good sports team mascot name. Instead of the Washington Football Team, they could be the Washington Variants.
SwissAgg
AG
With the Delta variant, most of you won't be able to travel here. I am supposed to travel to the US
in October, but I won't have a trouble coming and going with a PCR test.
Matsui
AG
What's the latest now?
FancyKetchup14
AG
You'd need to google country specifics. There is no blanket mandate.
Foamcows
AG
this is all my fault. Last week I booked out a 2 week trip around Europe for 2 people. All plane tickets, hotels, and train tickets purchased...
Foamcows
AG
just got the dreaded notification I was expecting.... Netherlands, regardless of vaccination status, 10 day quarantine...

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/self-quarantine/exceptions-mandatory-quarantine

After talking to the hotel manager in the Netherlands, he is fully expecting other EU countries to adopt a similar policy.

After an hour and a half on the phone with United I now have a voucher for the equivalent to the flight I had to cancel. I also now have a voucher for my hotel room in NL. Both were non refundable, and as such, I am very glad to have a voucher so its not a complete loss.

I purchased everything with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, which has 50k in insurance, which includes travel interruptions. It's all managed by a 3rd party company, and as such I expect the experience of filing claims on the train tickets (don't really have a point of contact there) to be a pain/slow.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Foamcows said:

After talking to the hotel manager in the Netherlands, he is fully expecting other EU countries to adopt a similar policy.

maroon10
AG
This isn't Europe related but how many doubt themselves on an international trip due to having to take a test to prove negative before flying? We have a trip to Cabo planned but having second thoughts since we have kids at home. Worried a fluke would happen and we'd test +.
2wealfth Man
AG
Just landed at Madrid; at least for Spain nothing seems to have changed. Going through the "health control" was a big nothing burger.
JMac03
AG
One of the reasons my husband and I didn't travel. We could have made it work if we both got stuck but it just wasn't worth it.
drewser95
AG
FYI for anyone flying Lufthansa or Air France (or Finnair):

Lufthansa, Air France & Finnair Ban Fabric Face Masks on Their Flights
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/lufthansa-air-france-finnair-ban-fabric-face-masks-on-their-flights/

I had just bought new cotton masks specifically for the Atlantic leg. I hate those surgical ones.
HollywoodBQ
AG
A colleague of mine flew Air France to Spain last month.
He said that Air France required them to wear a mask that was issued by Air France.
drewser95
AG
Gotcha, thanks -- that's who I will be on.
dummble
AG
I am hoping what France did becomes the norm instead of the Netherlands did.

I have a trip booked at the end of November and pivoting from Austria to France will be easy, but not being able to go to Europe for the second year in a row will make me old man grumpy.
Ovalo
AG
FWIW, I've been in France last 4 weeks and have travelled extensively. We've had no problem showing our US vaccination card. Heard yesterday on the street that France doesn't require a mask when outside. I don't know if true but that appears to be the case.
Kool
AG
In Madrid since Wednesday. Had to wear a mask on Delta and everywhere indoors here. Theaters just opened up yesterday.
TAM85
drewser95 said:

FYI for anyone flying Lufthansa or Air France (or Finnair):

Lufthansa, Air France & Finnair Ban Fabric Face Masks on Their Flights
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/lufthansa-air-france-finnair-ban-fabric-face-masks-on-their-flights/

I had just bought new cotton masks specifically for the Atlantic leg. I hate those surgical ones.
That article does not reference any vax requirement.
Ovalo
AG
I flew LH last Monday. No problem with cloth masks. Even the crew wore them.
A New Hope
2wealfth Man said:

Kool said:

Doing the Camino next summer.
2wealfth Man
AG
Just got back from the Camino last Thursday. Had a great experience and would highly recommend for anyone outdoorsy inclined. The day after day 12 to 15 miles can be a grind but before long you look up and have churned out 7 or 8 days in a row. Make sure you are 100% happy with your shoes; foot care is the No. 1,2, 3 and 4 priorities!

A few scenes from the trail!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.