Costa Rica recs

5,851 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGBU94
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering a trip with the wife to Costa Rica, want some great beach time and a little rain forest hiking as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
eiggA2002
AG
We're going in January (dry season) and are staying 6 days in the Playa Flamingo area for beach and adventure stuff. Then 2 days in Arenal/Tabacon at the thermal spas for relaxing and hiking. From what I know, you can't go wrong with the Tamarindo area.
JMac03
AG
The all-inclusive resorts are in the Guanacaste region. The one I sell the most is Secrets Papagayo. I've quoted the Westin too which has great reviews, but no one has ever stayed there. I have families who stay at Dreams but its far from resorts and excursions.

Just know the beaches aren't like what you find in Mexico. Water is darker and so is the sand.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
JMac03 said:

Just know the beaches aren't like what you find in Mexico. Water is darker and so is the sand.

Also the sand is hot as balls and the water is warm. Sand dollars galore and the size of cereal bowls. The food is amazing. The people are amazing. The fresh fruit is da bomb.

We stayed in Jaco last time and we plan to hit northern CR this spring break.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Like Jmac - most of the all-inclusive resorts are in the Guanacaste region and same for me -- Secrets Papagayo is most popular among my clients along with the Westin and Four Seasons.

I also have some clients that love Tabacon Thermal Resort and Nayara Springs - these two are next of my list of resorts to visit.

A friend of mine just visited Nantipa - a boutique hotel on the Nicoya Peninsula and it was gorgeous with all beachfront suites.

Most all of these you would fly into Liberia, but transfer times vary.

Oh and another resort that keeps popping up for me is KURA -- it is further south and you would probably fly into San Jose for that, but the transfer would still be 3+ hours.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Enviroag02
AG
Venado caves near La Fortuna, hanging bridges, white water rafting, zip lining. Costa Rica has tons to do and great food!
AGBU94
AG
Some of this would depend on when you are planning your trip. Costa Rica is in the middle of the rainy season right now and that lasts until November. One of the busiest travel times begins right after Christmas. That will not mean that it is impossible, just that the beaches and tours may be more crowded.

I have never done the all inclusive resorts, and tend to like a little more privacy than Tamarindo when it comes to beaches. Our next trip is to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side in October (supposed to be nice weather there during this time). We have never been to that part of the Country, so we will se.

My recommendations would be Monteverde for two to three days. That will give you coffee tours, cloud forest, hanging bridges, night tours and some good food. Then, find a beach on the Pacific side that suits your tastes. I would drive to Playa Matapalo south of Quepos for a secluded beach area. It is not really a tourist area, but Quepos and Dominical are less than a half hour drive and include all kinds of tour events including Manuel Antonio National Park. If I didn't want to go that far south, Jaco is a fun town with Playa Hermosa just to the south that offers some good beach time as well. The beach at Jaco is not my favorite, but there is lots to do in that area.

La Fortuna is a great area as well. We included that with our time in Monteverde as it is in the same part of the Country. Lots to do and see and great food as well.

Have fun and PURA VIDA!
reedsterg
AG
AGBU, we were looking at Puerto Viejo next month as well. Are you planning on renting a car and making the drive from San Jose?
AGBU94
AG
Yes. We eventually plan to become expats in a few years, so these trips are short and usually packed with exploration. A car is the only way to do this. I have heard that the roads are taking a beating this rainy season on the way to Puerto Viejo, but maybe that was just one bridge being knocked out. I guess I will find that out after you do. We cannot wait for October to get here.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Ticket prices flying into Liberia dropped big time yesterday so we booked our flights for Spring Break. Now we need to find the right place to stay.

Just check the pricing. 3 weeks ago it was 3600. Yesterday it was 1100. Today it jumped to 1330. S-Th on United for 3 people.
JMac03
AG
Ohh thanks for the tip. I'm gonna look and may book too
Costa Rica appears to be one of a few countries that is not requiring Americans to provide proof of vaccination or any form of testing pre-arrival. Looks like non-vaccinated just need to get travel insurance. Am I reading this right?

https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements
Counterpoint
AG
50 said:

Costa Rica appears to be one of a few countries that is not requiring Americans to provide proof of vaccination or any form of testing pre-arrival. Looks like non-vaccinated just need to get travel insurance. Am I reading this right?

https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements

That's how it was when we were there this summer but we had to take a test to come back to the US.
10andBOUNCE
AG
We've done the Westin before and it's a good option - think big resort.

Last time we went we stayed here - much smaller. Was awesome. To get to the beach you had to hike through the rainforest for about 10 minutes or so. We were typically the only ones at the beach - it's remote with no beach amenities but we loved it!

https://www.casachameleonhotels.com/las-catalinas/
AGBU94
AG
50 said:

Travel insurance needs to be purchased. (I've used Trawick)
Then less than 48 hours prior to your departure for Costa Rica, you will need to get your QR code for entrance. (This will be checked at the airport, and then upon arrival in Costa Rica.

In order to travel back to the US, you will need a negative covid test less than 72 hours prior to your return flight. Both the Liberia airport and San Jose airport now have onsite testing, but the advise is to arrive four hours prior to your flight in order to receive the results.
reedsterg
AG
We have a flight booked to San Jose in a few weeks, but haven't made any other reservations. We are trying to decide between Manuel Antonio and Puerto Viejo. Do you have an opinion on either or any suggestions on where to stay?
AGBU94
AG
I have not been to Puerto Viejo yet. Our first trip will be there in October, as the Caribbean side is supposed to have better weather in the months of September and October than the Pacific side.

That being said, my favorite area is the area around Manuel Antonio. We stayed in El Jardin de los Monos in Matapalo. It is less than a half hour south of Manuel Antonio and Lettika and her husband were very helpful. We will be going back there in April.

If you do make it to Puerto Viejo, let me know your thoughts. From what I hear, it is a little different vibe than the rest of the country, but still beautiful. I cannot wait to find out for myself.

90 bull
AG
I believe the travel insurance requirement changed on 1 August.

From their website:

As of August 1, 2021, all tourists who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and inoculated with Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson can enter the country without a travel policy. The last dose of the vaccine must have been applied at least 14 days before arrival in Costa Rica.
aggeeme
I went precovid. Fell in love with it. Stayed in Airbnb and went to Fortuna first then to Bejuco beach.
water turkey
A friend's brother runs an offshore charter service out of Los Suenos. He also owns a few condos there. There is also a nice looking Marriott Resort there.

Going next spring.
reedsterg
AG
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with car rentals at the San Jose airport? There seems to be a pretty wide range in price and some rental companies that I'm not as familiar with.
Matsui
Josepi
AG
reedsterg said:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with car rentals at the San Jose airport? There seems to be a pretty wide range in price and some rental companies that I'm not as familiar with.
We went last month, and used Vamos Rent A Car. Everything went great. They were waiting at the airport to pick us up. Everyone's English was great, and they were super friendly.
AGBU94
AG
I have used Avis and Europcar (sp) at the San Jose Airport. No complaints with either one and the price was not too bad. They both charged a refundable amount to the credit card, but in both cases it was refunded quickly after return. Prices were reasonable, but Avis offered a better selection and the rental return for Avis is there right by the airport.
RenoAg
I hear the purchase of insurance is required in Costa Rica when you rent a car. And the cost is considerable. That true?
reedsterg
AG
My credit card coverage is supposed to cover the car rental and they told me to decline the insurance with the rental agency in order to get the coverage. I do know you're required to have personal travel insurance if you aren't vaccinated. Does anyone have any experience with that or recommend a provider?
Counterpoint
AG
reedsterg said:

My credit card coverage is supposed to cover the car rental and they told me to decline the insurance with the rental agency in order to get the coverage. I do know you're required to have personal travel insurance if you aren't vaccinated. Does anyone have any experience with that or recommend a provider?

When we went it was required for everyone, and we used Trawick. They were good, but we don't really have anything to compare it to and we didn't have to use it, thank goodness.
AgCPA95
AG
reedsterg said:

On car rental insurance with credit card it can vary domestically and internationally as well as being primary versus secondary where your personal insurance would have to step in an be exhausted before the card does anything. Just a buyer (renter) beware as the cards companies all seem to like to tout coverage but bury the details. Another thing to consider in these times is the loss of use expense you could be liable for if their damaged vehicle is taken out of commission in this time of limited car supply and inflated rental rate. The LDW with rental companies cover this but you might be exposed on personal or credit card coverage.
90 bull
AG
We are going next week into Liberia, and renting a car. I called the credit card company to get a letter to give to the rental car company showing the rental is covered for damage, and I can decline the CDW. Still have to take their liability. We'll see how it goes.
AGBU94
AG
reedsterg said:

We have a flight booked to San Jose in a few weeks, but haven't made any other reservations. We are trying to decide between Manuel Antonio and Puerto Viejo. Do you have an opinion on either or any suggestions on where to stay?
Looking forward to hearing what was decided, and if it was Puerto Viejo-do you have any recomendations? We are a month away.
reedsterg
AG
We're actually leaving tomorrow. All we have booked at the moment is a flight and rental car. Think we'll head East and go from there. Seems to be raining almost everywhere right now, but I'm hoping the Caribbean side is a little better. If you have any other suggestions or recommendations, just let me know.
AGBU94
AG
Heading east is our plan too. I have read that puerto viejo is the best bet during September and October, but we will see. Checking the weather these last few days looks like you can count on showers daily pretty much everywhere.

Have fun and enjoy.
90 bull
AG
We have been on the pacific side for a few days. Wednesday had a heavy rain, yesterday was less than an hour in the afternoon. It looks like an afternoon rain can be expected, so just plan accordIngly
reedsterg
AG
What part of the Pacific are you? We were planning on going to the Caribbean side for better weather, but it seems to be raining there as well. We are staying in San Jose tonight and then will make a decision tomorrow. I don't mind a shower hear and there, but don't want solid downpours the whole time. I know it's the rainy season on the Pacific side. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Is trying to fly out of SJO on Sansa to other parts of the country an unnecessary gamble right now being height of rainy season and those flights being cancelled?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.