Note about Maui and Reservations

2,408 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 02atthelake
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been to Maui many times, and it seems they have taken the pandemic as reason to change a few things there.

First of all, they required masks outside and on the beach until June and require masks inside on everyone over 2. Yes, even small children.

Many tours are not able to operate at full capacity because of government restrictions, so many are booked well in advance and are more expensive than previously.

Popular free things like the Black Sand Beach and Summit of Haleakala are now reservation only.

If you are staying on the West Side of Maui (Lahaina, Kapalua, etc) the trip to the black sand beach can be 4-5 hours. There are no signs or notifications anywhere that it is now reservation only. This only pertains to non-Hawaiians. If you have a HI drivers' license, you can come and go as you please. They said it was to promote social distancing, but that is obviously bull***** Limited parking promotes social distancing and there is a ton of area there.

HMU with any questions you have.
Goose
AG
We're on Oahu now but heading to Maui tues morning. What's the restaurant situation like on Maui? (Here on Oahu it seems as if every restaurant is booked solid and/or overrun with folks trying to get in and the wait times are outrageous.)
Guitarsoup
AG
We didn't go anywhere that needed reservations. Trip with 6yo/8yo.

Pi Artisan Pizza in Lahaina was surprisingly good.

Need mask to go into restaurant.

BSD
AG
Wow. Good to know.

Haleakala summit for sunrise has been permit only for a while. Are you saying the summit is permit only at all times now?
Goose
AG
Thank you, sir!
DropDemNuggetz
AG
I was there in May and the mask requirements were extremely relaxed. I don't doubt the official mandate was what is listed above, however in reality nobody was wearing a mask outside.
AggieZUUL
AG
DropDemNuggetz said:

I was there in May and the mask requirements were extremely relaxed. I don't doubt the official mandate was what is listed above, however in reality nobody was wearing a mask outside.

I was there last November ... stayed at Kea Lani and the mask policy was very relaxed, but the proof of COVID test was insane (had to show at airport, car rental place, hotel) and caused me to miss a flight. Nobody wore masks on the beach, people could remove when seated at a restaurant...wasn't that bad.

Haleakala observation lot required a reservation, but i think this was implemented pre-COVID.

Phat32
AG
https://thepointsguy.com/news/maui-mayor-wants-less-visitors/
Guitarsoup
AG
yukmonkey said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/maui-mayor-wants-less-visitors/
Mouth breather doesn't know where his bread is buttered.
Goose
AG
Maui Mayor (via the press) to his constituency: "We're just not ready for this many visitors yet. Please, giant airlines, consider limiting the number of visitors you bring here to Maui! Our fantastic service industry professionals just can't keep up with such a sudden influx of visitors and customers yet."

Maui Mayor (via personal phone calls) to the Airline Executives: "We've been shutdown for over a year now. Please, please, bring everyone you can possibly load onto those planes..."
02atthelake
We're headed to Maui in the morning with kids around the same age and staying in Lahaina. Any other restaurant/activity recommendations?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Leodas Kitchen and Pie Shop. Great food and desserts.
Monkeypod is great too.
02atthelake
Thanks! We'll check it out. For what it's worth, we heard horror stories about getting through security, dealing with the Hawaii paperwork, etc. It all went surprisingly well. Super fast security at DFW, we presented our COVID paperwork at the American counter and got pre-check wristbands. The wristbands allowed us to bypass the long COVID line in Maui. One of the flight attendants was strict about masks but the rest didn't care. Good experience overall.

Keep the Maui recommendations coming! Thanks again
tfunk02
AG
This is a FOOD TRUCK, but the food was super amazingly good (2 years ago).

https://goo.gl/maps/WSKYWSWbmaXAPMRE6
gggmann
AG
We are in PHX waiting to board our flight to OGG. Did the screen here with Southwest, went quickly.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but they dropped the test requirement if you are vaccinated. Just need to upload a photo of your vaccine card and show it when screened.
Big Al 1992
AG
Fleetwoods on Front St (Mick's Place) is amazing food and views.
Maui Brewing Company is a tourist trap. Did not like.
Nalu's in Kihei has great food, even better Mai Tais, and shave ice stand in the parking lot for the kids.

Mustang1
AG
If you don't have Pre check. the regular security line at OGG yesterday was 90 minutes.
Phat32
AG
Even though they can still spread it and contract it.

#pandemictheater
Guitarsoup
AG
Mustang1 said:

If you don't have Pre check. the regular security line at OGG yesterday was 90 minutes.
That's pretty typical there.
bobbunker
Kihei Caffe is killer for breakfast. Huevos rancheros or the macadamia pancakes are tops. Dont be afraid of long line it moves pretty quickly.
02atthelake
90 minutes to get through security at OGG?? We're flying through there tomorrow morningis it usually that bad?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.