Denver for the weekend

1,854 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aTm2004
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Denver Friday morning with the wife to visit her best friend who moved out there in the spring. Outside of a day of interviews, I haven't been there. What are some fun things to do out there?

We'd like to go hikingprobably a few mile hike vs the 15 one we did in Alaska back when we were in better shape and 10 years younger.

Also, any good breweries to visit? Good restaurants (not high end, but just everyday type places)? Her friend is a foodie, so she may already have this part figured out.
Wicked Good Ag
Wild Basin Hike was fun a scenic and close to denver

we did Red Rocks during the day and a couple of hikes after that were nearby

Favorite place to eat was Root Down
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Where in Denver are you staying?
Txhuntr
AG
Hit stranahan's distillery in Denver or get out to golden and do bottles and barrels brewery. Plenty of good hiking and biking in the golden area as well. If you like tapas, el five downtown is great. Elway's steakhouse is also a good choice. Denver biscuit co for breakfast/brunch

Editjust saw you said not high end. I believe they have an Earl's in Denver somewhere downtown. Nice place based out of Canada that won't break the bank, yet is unique enough
jammer262
Txhuntr said:

Hit stranahan's distillery in Denver or get out to golden and do bottles and barrels brewery. Plenty of good hiking and biking in the golden area as well. If you like tapas, el five downtown is great. Elway's steakhouse is also a good choice. Denver biscuit co for breakfast/brunch

Editjust saw you said not high end. I believe they have an Earl's in Denver somewhere downtown. Nice place based out of Canada that won't break the bank, yet is unique enough

The Earls downtown was shuttered when I was there a few weeks ago. Unknown if it's back running again. Overall the 16th street mall was pretty desolate, touch and go on what was open.
aTm2004
AG
Appreciate the responses. Her friend lives in uptown, so not sure where or what that is.
Txhuntr
AG
jammer262 said:

Txhuntr said:

The Earls downtown was shuttered when I was there a few weeks ago. Unknown if it's back running again. Overall the 16th street mall was pretty desolate, touch and go on what was open.

The website shows it as open from 11:30-10 daily. It very well could be wrong though. It wouldn't be the 1st time I got screwed by posted hours during covid
NColoradoAG
aTm2004 said:

Appreciate the responses. Her friend lives in uptown, so not sure where or what that is.
Uptown is the area just northeast of the capitol. Definitely head down Colfax and go to Cerebral. One of the best breweries in the state for sure. Sounds like the friend will have you covered for food. One of my favorite breakfast spots, Dozens, is just a couple blocks away. Fun spot where you can go across to Pints Pub for some hair of the dog while you wait for your table and they'll call you over when its ready.

If you want to venture out of downtown head up to Berkley. Hops & Pie is a solid spot for pizza and beer, or if you're there early they do donuts now. Great taplist. Il Porcelllino has gotten much busier since they were on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives earlier this year, but it's still the best sandwich place in Denver. There's lots of little shops in that neighborhood and you can easily pop over to the lower highlands area where there's even more good restaurants, shopping, and artsy stuff if you're into galleries and such.

Red Rocks is a solid spot for a quick hike that's not too far away. There are several trails throughout the park. You can also workout in the amphitheater.
MrPlow2010
AG
if you have a several hours of free time you should drive west and check out Mt. Evans. It's the tallest paved road in North America I believe and you can almost drive to the top of the mountain. It was a really fun adventure.
aTm2004
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, we're going to get out of downtown tomorrow and Saturday, but we are staying at her place. Looks like we'll have stuff to do.
aTm2004
AG
I'll mention this and see if they're up for it. Not sure what we have planned for Saturday yet.
NColoradoAG
aTm2004 said:

I'll mention this and see if they're up for it. Not sure what we have planned for Saturday yet.
You need a reservation now to drive up Mt. Evans past Echo Lake so make sure you book that if yall decide to head up there.
aTm2004
AG
If that's the case, then we're not going to be able make it up there. I'll be with 2 women, so getting anywhere on any kind of schedule will be almost impossible.

To the ladies...

jaggiemaggie
AG
Piggy backing to this thread and looking for recommendations on hotels. Planning on going week of July 8th.

weekend trip without kids and we will be taking uber everywhere. Mostly to try different restaurants. Would like to stay close to downtown area
aTm2004
AG
Just to let you know, Uber and Lyft in Denver is expensive. Rides that would cost $15 in Houston are $25-30 there. There are the scooters everywhere, but I couldn't convince my wife to take one of those.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.