Arkansas - Crater of Diamonds - Hiking Trails

672 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son (11) has been after me to take a trip to Crater of Diamonds. We live in DFW so it's a few hours drive. Anybody been? Also, what are some good hiking trails (or are there any) in that area? What about other parts of Arkansas? I have never been to the state, so just looking for ideas.
Caladan
We have been there, but the only hiking we did was from the RV campsites to the crater and back.

Be warned that there isn't a lot of shade in the crater. This time of year, you better be *really* prepared. Take plastic buckets, shovels and possibly a pickaxe or mattock, and a screening box (you might be able to buy a screening box there, but call and check first). They provide a place w/water to do your screening.

The campsites are pretty decent there. Actually, they are pretty decent in many AR state parks.

Other AR state parks that are good for hiking is Devil's Den and Petit Jean. Neither are what I would call close to Crater of Diamonds, but you might consider them too if time allows.

There is - or at least was - a decent Mexican restaurant around the downtown area of Murfreesboro, in case you get hungry.

C
Wicked Good Ag
Devils Den and Petite Jean State Parks have some great trials

Mount Nebo and Magazine both have some good trials and nice overlooks

Hawsbill Crag is probably the best hike in Arkansas

all of these are in the central to NW portion of Arkansas so futher up in the state then Crater of Diamonds

Another point about Crater oif Diamonds...it is tedious and not much fun after a while for the kids....they typically get bored and it is even worse in the summer

not saying dont do it but just prepping you
txags92
AG
I would plan at most a half day at COD unless your kid is just a really stubborn diehard type. Realize and prepare him for the likelihood that he will not find a diamond there. Most of the diamonds are not found by tourists with sifters, but instead by locals who bring in equipment that allows them to bulk process a larger amount of material.

I would recommend taking them to one of the Quartz mine sites where you pay a fee and go hunt through tailings piles. Anything you find is yours to keep. They will find plenty of cool crystals and will enjoy it more than sifting dirt at COD. Coleman quartz mine is the one I am familiar with, but there are several. Lake Ouachita is a good central location to stay/camp.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.