Misspelled name on ticket...

1,347 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agracer
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I accidentally got a typo on a plane ticket for my son (one letter in last name).

Been trying to call SW but it's a 90-minute wait. Looked at the reservation online and I can change his first name, but the last name is locked.

Yeah, stupid me for the typo.

Should we just go to the airport early and get it fixed at the ticket counter or risk the TSA won't notice the typo? I saw an article in the LA Times where a TSA representative said they don't usually stop you from going thru security if you have one or two letters mistyped or backwards on your name, as long as everything else matches up they'll let you thru.
213 Grove
AG
We have done this a couple times. Get it switched at the counter to be safe and for peace of mind.

One time we didn't catch it before we got on our first flight to an overseas euro trip and it was two letters just transposed on my wifes last name and luckily no one caught it going there or back but we definitely sweated it the entire time.
agracer
AG
Oh, and to clarify, we're leaving Sat on Delta (everything correct on that ticket) but he's coming back on SW next week. So we could go early this Sat and get in line.

Still on hold here..and I'm not even sure they'll fix it on the phone with out an ID.
JMac03
AG
Name misspellings are common. Usually not an issue to fix, especially with an airline like Southwest. Some vendors are much worse - I had to pay to re-ticket on Aeromexico.
HollywoodBQ
AG
agracer said:

I saw an article in the LA Times where a TSA representative said they don't usually stop you from going thru security if you have one or two letters mistyped or backwards on your name, as long as everything else matches up they'll let you thru.
Since its inception almost 20 years ago now, the TSA has always been a - your mileage may vary - organization. The results completely depend on which airport you fly in/out of and what shift happens to be working.

You're definitely doing the right thing by getting the name fixed on the ticket. Good Luck!
agracer
AG
still on hold....WTF is going on with SW today?
CDub06
AG
All flights are grounded right now due to a computer issue. You picked quite the day to try to get through.
Stymied
AG
I would call back later this week. SWA is having major IT network issues right now.
agracer
AG
AeroAg2003 said:

I would call back later this week. SWA is having major IT network issues right now.
yeah, I just saw that online...wish I'd have seen that before I sat on hold for 3 hours.....at least I was on my headphones and it's not like I was holding the phone to my ear for 3-hours.

I've told myself at least 10 times in the last few weeks to fix this and the day I pick the worst possible day to call.
buzzardb267
AG
We were vacationing in CO and had our grandson fly into Denver. We had to get passes (?) to get to the gate. The agent left a letter off my first name (Water, instead of Walter). TSA stopped me and I explained that I hadn't even noticed. I joked that only someone from CA would name their kid Water....no sense of humor for the agent. She had to get a supervisor, and they had to call someone. May have been chance, since I rarely fly, but it was a hassle.
"ROGER - OUT"
The Pilot
AG
With any company, I always DM them via Twitter. Most issues, including flight changes, I've had addressed there.
agracer
AG
The Pilot said:

With any company, I always DM them via Twitter. Most issues, including flight changes, I've had addressed there.
. Facebook, Twitter and chat thru the app are all basic dead on SW right now.

We're flying a different airline out so we'll go early and wait in line to get it fixed.
agracer
AG
Never actually spoke or IM'd a person.

I just got an email and they fixed his name.

I sent an IM of Facebook but just got an auto response. The IM just said "I misspelled my son's name on a reservation, how do I get it fixed"....that's it. Not his name or conf number. I guess they used my name and found my CC and got it fixed b/c I never actually spoke with, or inter acted with an actual person.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.