St. John USVI Recommendations

1,414 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dodger02
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are heading to St John in early July and renting a VRBO for a week. Does anyone have recent experience on the island and how they are handling Covid. Are restaurants open and serving inside, or are they only at half capacity? Is mask wearing still rigorously required or are they pretty relaxed about it? And most importantly, please provide recommendations for restaurants and beach bars. How are crowds now since there are not any cruise ships? Are reservations required for dinner due to limited capacity? And any other recommendations on activities would be great.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
We're there July 4-11. Saw some posts about a month ago about masks still being required in restaurants and indoors until seated but nothing of recent. I was lurking again hoping to see an update from someone. We have reservations for most nights and didn't have any trouble, but it appears that everyone opened up their reservations 30 days out where we wanted to go so we booked right then. I was really only wearing a mask at work as a courtesy to someone who also had a mask on, but we went full optional end of May and since then hardly a soul wears a mask now outside of a customer here and there so I'm hoping it's relaxed.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Out of curiosity have you submitted your travel portal stuff yet? Seems to be taking 48+ hours to get confirmation. We did ours Friday morning and fly out Tuesday but no response so far..
OilManAg91
AG
It took about 2 days from time of uploading to receiving the confirmation email. This was pretty consistent for 3 people submitting at different times. You have to show the QR code when checking into your flight, and when you land at STT there is a line where you have to show the QR code again before they let you into the terminal. But it was very easy and entrance went smoothly. This is a really great place to spend the 4th very relaxing. Trunk Bay was very nice today and headed to The Windmill Bar in a bit to watch the sunset.
dodger02
AG
I'm over on StT overlooking Magen's this evening. We were on StJ yesterday and today. Today at Maho was fantastic - but Trunk yesterday was bananas. You guys are on the more beautiful and laid back island. I'm a bit jealous.
OilManAg91
AG
We heard Maho was the place to be! Have an all day snorkeling trip set for Monday, but we will hit Maho on Tuesday.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Bananas as in super crowded? We're staying at Lavender Hill on Cruz Bay. Have a Jeep rental for whole time we're there so plan on beach hopping a lot. Wife made quite a few dinner reservations and we have a boat on Thursday. Plan to hit up Lime out during that day for lunch.
Hincemm
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Is mask wearing still rigorously required or are they pretty relaxed about it?
Anyone?
dodger02
AG
Strictly enforced.

ETA: Masks very much required when inside establishments not eating or drinking. Sit down at a restaurant table and it comes off. Walk around the beaches and no masks. Food trucks/huts on beaches may refuse service without a mask. Locals wear them everywhere, though.
Hincemm
AG
dodger02 said:

Strictly enforced.

ETA: Masks very much required when inside establishments not eating or drinking. Sit down at a restaurant table and it comes off. Walk around the beaches and no masks. Food trucks/huts on beaches may refuse service without a mask. Locals wear them everywhere, though.
koko sad
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Hincemm said:

dodger02 said:

Strictly enforced.

koko sad

Same experience so far. Hasn't been too bad. Pop
It on for the 15sec walk to table or 1min order at window. Overall dumb but whatever..
OilManAg91
AG
Agreed. Stand in line at beach bar with no mask and no social distancing, until get up to first in line then put on your mask to order. They get your drink and take off your mask. But if you don't have a mask then they absolutely will not let you in or take your order. Overall not a big deal, just keep a mask in your pocket for the 2 minutes you will need it each day.

And the beaches and Cruz Bay are not that crowded. Yes it is always hard to find parking at Trunk Bay and the other popular beaches if you show up between 10 am - 2 pm, but otherwise it isn't that difficult to find a spot or make your own.
dodger02
AG
I only saw one person willingly disobey a request to wear a mask. It was a kid about 14-15 years old in a gift shop in Red Hook on StT. Store owner politely asked him to put on a mask and the kid got mouthy. Everyone else I encountered just played the game and decided that making a scene while on vacation wasn't worth it.

A few times, I'd walk halfway to the tiki hut drink stand only to realize I forgot my mask. I'd just mosey on back to grab one and used that as an opportunity to do more people watching.

It really wasn't a big deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.