Weekend Trip - San Angelo

871 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FancyKetchup14
klwtamu91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I went to San Angelo this weekend. It wasn't our original plan and we weren't expecting much, but we found that San Angelo was a nice place to visit for a weekend. If you are the type of couple who enjoys things for what they are and can have fun doing your own thing, it is worth a visit. For us, 2 nights was just right. We didn't bring the kids so we don't have any idea if kid activities exist.

We stayed at the Old Central Firehouse Bed and Brew, which was cool. The rooms are new and very nice. They also own a pizza restaurant downstairs, which was very convenient. Good pizza but the best part was the "beer bar" or whatever they call it. There were 24 beer choices and it measured by the 0.1 ounce so you could try all the beers a few ounces at a time rather than needing to buy a full glass or a flight to try something.

San Angelo has a nice river walk. It isn't like San Antonio's with restaurants more like a nature trail along the Concho River. But it's a nice nature trail plenty of light and felt very safe to us at night. Several of the activities we did: walk along the river to the international waterlily collection (interesting on a Saturday morning when people are there to tell you about them), Eggemeyer's General Store (an eclectic and nice place to go if shopping is on the agenda), Miss Hattie's Bordello Museum (somewhat entertaining even though the "story" is complete bull****e), Fort Concho (cool history), and the art museum (there were very few pieces that made me think "That's not art. I can do that."). There were a few other little things to do around downtown. Except for the state park and Fort Concho, we walked everywhere, which also helped in mentally removing us from the world for the weekend. It would have been better in the fall when it wasn't 100 degrees, but oh well.

The only place I would not recommend was San Angelo State Park. The only reason it even exists is the former popularity of O.C. Fisher Reservoir, which is now at about 5% capacity. It was sad more than anything. At a time when camping sites are hard to come by on weekends, they seemed to be available in abundance there.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Concur with the above. Wife was born in San Angelo and still has a lot of family there. We visit once or twice a year to see her grandparents and it's a great place.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Good write up, thanks. I have been there a few times in the past for various reasons and feel like you are pretty spot on. The town does fluctuate with the Permian activity, but not nearly as bad as Mid/Odessa. There are supposed to be good mountain biking trails at the state park. It is never going to be a tourist destination, but good times can be had there if you go in with the right frame of mind and seems like yall did.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Born and raised in Angelo. Glad you enjoyed it. It was a great place to grow up and a good place to occasionally visit.

Best places to eat: Armenta's, the Grill, cork and pig.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Born and raised in Angelo. Glad you enjoyed it. It was a great place to grow up and a good place to occasionally visit.

No Henry's or Western Sky on your list?
HollywoodBQ
AG
I stopped at Western Sky on my way from Waco back to California in March 2021.

I first heard about Western Sky when I was in the National Guard in San Angelo circa 1997. One of my guardsmen told me that he took his father there for dinner when his dad got out of prison. So... I figured it must be pretty good.

I'd literally been waiting 24 years to have a steak at Western Sky and it did not disappoint. I also scored a nice Richardson 112 hat so I can dress up and walk around Los Angeles posing like I'm from West Texas.

I had the Filet Mignon plus a salad, baked potato and a Coke (I was driving) for about $35. Great value and a great experience. Left the waitress (a cute but heavy Spanish girl) about a $20 tip plus the hat and I think I was out of there for about $75-$80.

Such an amazing experience compared to getting back to California and the Covid lockdowns at that time.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Nice! The in laws introduced me to WS and we go every time we go back there.

Also like Ichiban as well.
FancyKetchup14
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

No Henry's or Western Sky on your list?

Henry's is dog sh*t. The best Mexican food in town is either Armenta's or Franco's. Western Sky was great growing up, but I'd rather drive out to Lowake now, personally.

Silo House at the Chicken Farm is a great spot too.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Tell me how you really feel!

I get the chicken fried steak and love it. Couldn't tell you on the rest. I'll definitely try some of those others on your list.
klwtamu91
AG
From our perspective over the weekend, it seemed like San Angelo has done a nice job of working with what they have to make a very liveable city. They've done a great service to us all in maintaining Fort Concho and the river walk really helps set downtown apart. And of course having a university in town allows you to punch above your weight with things like theater and symphonies.
Potcake
AG
I loved Cork & Pig. Is Concho Pearl still there?
buzzardb267
AG
Is that lake ever full? I had family around Christoval and visited often for family reunions. Always enjoyed the change from north Texas to west Texas when driving out. BBQ cabrito was always the favorite at the reunions.
"ROGER - OUT"
FancyKetchup14
AG
OC Fisher was always a mud hole most years. What was awesome was when Twin Buttes got to about 30% capacity. It dwarfs Nasworthy and you can slam White Bass on a cast master.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.