Cancun - Secrets Akumal or The Grand @ Moon Palace?

2,186 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DropDemNuggetz
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking hard at these two resorts.

Trip will be my wife and I and my in-laws. So family time, but also romantic get away/adults only? Not sure how to classify it.

Thoughts on these two resorts? I know Grand is not an adults only resort and we're ok with that.

Any experience with either?
DiskoTroop
Also now considering the Royalton Riviera Maya
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Lots of friends I know have been to Secrets Akumal and they LOVE IT. Look at Unico as well.
breezecustomtravel
AG
When are you planning on traveling?

Secrets Akumal is a wonderful choice - I book the Secrets brand quite a bit and Akumal and Maroma are my top two resorts.

The Grand at Moon Palace is a favorite for families and is a very large resort - if you choose this resort be prepared for lots of walking.

I haven't booked Royalton here before, mainly because there are so many great resorts in the area but have booked them in St. Lucia and Antigua and have had no complaints.

Right now, Riviera Maya and south of Playa del Carmen is getting bombarded with the Seaweed/Sargassum so, if it's soon and a good beach is your priority I would definitely look at another area of CUN like Playa Mujeres.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
JMac03
AG
If you want a nice beach - Secrets Akumal. If there aren't seaweed issues - it's absolutely stunning.

I love Grand at Moon Palace but the beach water is brown. The beach itself is fine if you are just laying on it. I thought food and service was really good. Like Breeze said it is a very large resort so lots of walking.

I tend to steer clear of Royaltons.

Others to consider:
Le Blanc
Unico
Secrets Maroma
Sun Palace
Excellence Playa Mujeres

Seaweed has been really bad so far this year - especially south of Cancun. It wasn't bad North of Cancun last week. EPM is in this area. So is Secrets Playa Mujeres but recent reviews are not good.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
Beach is definitely Akumal's biggest selling point. I was honestly let down by the food, however. My main issue was the restaurant selections just didn't have many options that I really wanted (which is a first for me while in Cancun). We found ourselves ordering room service quite a bit. The food was very good when we were interested, just didn't find ourselves that interested most times. I would just check the hotels website and look at sample menus to make sure you're "excited".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.