Southwest Colorado

1,884 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BlueAg2003
Blindside05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going in late July with wife and 9 mo old. Starting in Creede as my aunt has a cabin there that we want to use for a night or two (maybe whole trip if we find there are enough things to do).

Looking for light activities in/around Creede as well as any info on other places (Ouray, telluride, etc)
OilManAg91
AG
Flyfishing
milner79
Grab a meal at Southern Vittles in Lake City.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Camped a week in Durango. One of our better trips. Mesa verda exceeded expectations. Soarin is totally awesome although not cheap. Spent a day at purgatory doing the mount coaster and other activities. Went up to silver ton for a day of backcountry atv riding. Did a white water rafting day. Spent time biking in town.
cohibasymas
AG
Where to start? This is one of the most beautiful areas in the country. What are your interests? Hobbies?
CanyonAg77
AG
Agree with cohibasymas. Wonderful area. I'd look at some of the travel distances, I think it may be pretty out of your way to hit Telluride, by the way. Ouray and Silverton are beautiful, the train from Durango to Silverton is a bucket list item. It's been decades since I was at Lake City, but it was cool back then.
Blindside05
AG
Well typically we would be into all the typical stuff (rafting, atv, etc.) however, we will have a 9 month old in tow, so looking for good scenic drives, easy hiking trails and other baby friendly activities.

Did the silverton train years ago will have to see what the wife thinks.

Our initial plan is to start in creede and spend a night or two then drive up through lake city and spend the remaining 2-4 days in ouray or telluride. The area seems to have a bit more activities and day trip options
TXAggie2011
AG
I second being mindful of travel distances as places are deceptively far from each other in that area. 149 from Creede through Lake City and up towards Cimarron is a beautiful drive. You could do that and then swing back down to Ouray. Quray and Lake City offer a bounty of hiking opportunities.

What you want to hike will depend on your fitness and confidence carrying the 9 month old. And I'll note a lot of the roads to some popular trails in the higher mountains, even some of the easier hikes, deteriorate really quickly in the San Juan Mountains.

There's a hike in Ouray called "Baby Bathtubs" which is appropriate for taking a baby too.

Big fan of getting to the end of the 2WD American Basin road out of Lake City and walking up the 4WD portion into the start of the basin or driving all the way up if you can. Lots of hikers will continue up to Handies Peak but you can wander a bit into the basin---should be lots of wildflowers at end of July.
erin2003
AG
If you're going to do any sort of walking/hiking with baby, get a baby hiking pack. They are set up to balance the weight more like a framed hiking pack and will keep you much more comfortable than a baby bjorn or other carrier. Most fit kids up to 3 year so you can get a good bit of mileage out of it.
Blindside05
AG
Already have one on the way.....see thread on outdoor board
SbisaVictim95
AG
There's not a ton to do in Creede. My parents do love to pull their RV up there and camp for a month at a time though. I've gone up there a couple of times to camp and always really enjoy it for a few days. I'm going up there to hang for a few days prior to heading to Denver for the Colorado game in September.

see you may not be up to doing too much adventuring outdoors with a baby and tow and that you already plan to go to Lake City, but will add these recommendations for others who may be checking out this thread for ideas.

I will recommend doing a day tour with Matt Entz of Mountain Skillz. He's a great guide and really knows the trails around Creede. Lot of fun riding ATVs and looking at the scenery and hearing some of the history of the mines in the area. He does half day and full day tours and sunset tours as well.

You can take a day trip over to Lake City. Really pretty drive and a cool little mountain town.
Snipes
AG
I just got back from 2 week run through Southern Colorado with wife, 3yr old, and 18month old.

We spent 2 days at palo duro canyon, 3 days near Colorado springs, 2 days in Ridgway state park, 3 days in Ouray, 2 days at molas lake near silverton, and 2 days at great sand dunes NP.

Colorado Springs was good for few days to hit up Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.

Ridgway state park was bit of a bust due to fact that reservoir is half empty, we did enjoy day trip to Black Canyon NP.

Ouray was highlight of trip and family really enjoyed the views, hiking trails, and hot springs pool.

The view from Molas Lake were stunning and really made up for boon docking camping there.

Great Sand Dunes NP was nice to look at from afar and kids enjoyed playing in the creek.

We have Osprey baby backpack and made it tons easier to cart 18 month old up the mountain.

Keep in mind that highway 50 is closed most of the day due to construction, pretty much sending you south if you want to do day trips.

They are really dry in SW Colorado and i wouldnt be surprised to see lot of wild fires this summer.
Blindside05
AG
Trying to figure out what's best for a home base after leaving Creede. Thinking Durango but are day trips up to Ouray and telluride plausible? Or is it better to try and stay in one of those two places?
BlueAg2003
AG
Just got back from a week in Creede (second time to visit there) and recommend the following:

Wheeler Geological Area- have to have a 4WD vehicle to get out there, but the view and rock formations are amazing
North Clear Creek Falls- beautiful waterfall, quick visit
Trout fishing in any of the area lakes/reservoirs- I recommend visiting Love Lake, it is beautiful
Ivy Creek Hike- it is a long out and back so you can make it as long or as short as you want
Up and Over Hike- it gives you a really cool view of town from the top and comes down the back of the mountain near the silver mines....it is grueling to start because it is all uphill, but the backside is very easy
Drive Bachelor Loop- There are some cool historical markers that tell you about the mining history of the area and it is a fun one hour loop back down to town

For food, check out the following:

Freemon's General Store- great cheeseburgers and milkshakes, go for a horseback ride at their ranch next door if you feel inclined
Antler's- more upscale dining, but sit outside and enjoy the water
Square Peg Brewery- go enjoy some of the local beer

We made a day trip down to Pagosa Springs and floated the river. Pagosa is a really cool spot, I would not recommend floating though, as it was too fast. They didn't make adults wear life jackets and I realized that was a huge mistake when I got flipped out in deep water about 1 minute in and almost didn't make it to my tube. Go enjoy the town though!

We also hit up Great Sand Dunes NP and Zapata Falls on the way back. Good stuff.

PM me if you'd like to know more about Creede. I love that place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.