Home Temperature When Away

1,305 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious what everyone sets their thermostats to when going on vacation for week or two.

We don't have app control so we are a "victim" of our choice for a few hours once back home.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Summer 80 if we are in that stretch of 60+ straight days over 100 will also leave a few fans on low
Winter 65 just in case a really cold night might happen
akaggie05
AG
80 summer, 60 winter
Yesterday
AG
My old man would turn it off. Hell, he didn't let it go below 80 when we were home.

As for my house we leave it on 78 in our new 2800 sq/ft single story. In our old 3600 sq/ft 2 story house we'd leave it on 84.
planoaggie123
AG
Our current home is closer to your old 2 story.

Our last home was 1800 and we didn't bother to change the temp. When home is the size of our current, with 3 units, seems to reason to reduce run time but don't want to cause damage.

Seems like 81 or 82 might be my number.
aggie_wes
AG
keep it at 78/64, nervous to screw something up and ruin the hard wood floors
gggmann
AG
In Phoenix, AZ area. Set thermostats between 80-82 (3 zones) when going out of town. In the winter I just leave them on the normal program settings as the heater doesn't run too much.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wifi thermostats from honeywell are like $60, work great and are stupid easy to install.
planoaggie123
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Wifi thermostats from honeywell are like $60, work great and are stupid easy to install.

I think this will be the plan over the summer...should have just done it a while ago....but at this point i just have too much to do before we head out...
Stat Monitor Repairman
Just ordered a wifi thermostat thats Apple Homekit compatible for $120.

Check your power company website. A lot of providers are selling the hardware at discount and will give you a bill credit.

Hasn't come in yet but seems like a good solution..
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Prime day is coming next week, or maybe the one after. Buy then for sure. We got a great price on some of the fancy touch screen honeywells last year on cyber Monday.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

This! I have free nights with TXU. I blaze the AC from 8p - 5a and get the house down to 65F. Never need to turn on the AC during the day. My 3200 SF house average an electric bill of less than $100 every month.
Stat Monitor Repairman
******* genius!
HollywoodBQ
AG
I haven't had air conditioning since 2005.
Indoor temp right now (6:45pm) is 86F @ 43% humidity.
Outdoor temp is about 90F, looks like the high today was 97F.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.