San Antonio Resorts w/ Kids

3,287 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Husky Boy Jr.
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kids Ages 5 and 2.5.

3 night stay planned

What's best option between

La Cantera
JW Marriot
Hyatt Hill Country

aglaohfour
AG
We've only done JW Marriott and very much enjoyed it. We've gone when our kiddo was 4, 5, and 6. Pools are great, they usually have some kind of kid's activities going on each day, plus the kid's club. The food in the main restaurant is very kid friendly.
PleaseNoL01
I live in SA and have taken my kids to staycations at all 3. JW is definitely my favorite.
encinoag
AG
Either JW or Hyatt. Hyatt does have SeaWorld next to it for a days activities
Edit to add LaCantera comment. Less for kids at actual resort. Fiesta Texas. But it is hot in the summer with no breeze as it sits down low in old quarry
bam02
AG
JW. It like a small but legit water park with a few outstanding rides that will keep everyone entertained for a few days.
SirGIGalot
AG
Stayed at JW Marriott a couple weeks ago. Definitely a hit with my 8 and 10 year old with the water park and lazy river
BMach
AG
Just got back from the Hyatt Hill Country for a trade show. Brought the family along. Nice place, but severely under staffed, all but one bar/restaurant were closed. Not sure the family would be entertained for more than one day thought.
BrokeAssAggie
JW, not even close.
befitter
JW
JMac03
AG
Love love love that JW
breezecustomtravel
AG
Another vote for JW Marriott

Kiddos love the pools, waterpark slides, and lots of other kid activities.

We have a trip scheduled to go in August again with friends and are planning on making it a yearly trip.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Rascal
AG
Thanks all. Very helpful!

Does a place like JW allow you to bring in little kid pool toys or do they have stuff there for you?
2aggiesmom
We stayed at Hyatt Hill country when my two were little and it was one of our best family trips. We still talk about it when we get together.
TXCityGirl
I think the Hyatt is better for your kids ages right now. The JW is better for kids you can let go on waterslides alone. I've been to both when my kids were under 8, and they were easier to manage at the Hyatt.
LCE
AG
JW also understaffed. Rooms not cleaned daily. Played golf w JW manager this weekend. He said they can't get anyone to apply for jobs. Having to limit rooms.
Booma94
AG
LCE said:

JW also understaffed. Rooms not cleaned daily. Played golf w JW manager this weekend. He said they can't get anyone to apply for jobs. Having to limit rooms.
Stayed this past weekend and completely agree- hotel is definitely understaffed. Pool and hospitality areas seemed to be just a hair below normal, but were better than the hotel. I walked past a pair of wine glasses on the floor in the hallway by my room for 2 days. Oddly enough, the understaffing hasn't affected rates or prices on anything..

As for not cleaning rooms, I have found this at Marriott hotels across the country since the COVID nonsense started and it is not unique to this hotel.

This hotel can claim they can't find workers, but I honestly think it has more to do with the Marriott corporate offices and not necessarily a lack of applicants. Hotel was sold out and full- so they're going to charge full price, keep staff to a minimum, and blame the pandemic for lack of quality applicants, while making as much as they can paying bare-bones staff and working them as hard as they can.

Overall my stay at JW Marriott was above average on the facilities end, but average at best on the hospitality end. I'm sure we'll go back just because the pool and facilities are what they are- everyone is entertained.
Booma94
AG
Rascal said:

Thanks all. Very helpful!

Does a place like JW allow you to bring in little kid pool toys or do they have stuff there for you?
They have tubes and everything you'll need. They have signs that say you can't bring your own, but I saw several kids on floats they brought, so it's an enforcement thing and right now they're short on enforcement staff I guess.
Rascal
AG
Wrapping up my stay now and your description is spot on.
montejr
AG
I agree on this. Also, you can Door Dash food to Hyatt if onsite food options not open.
AggieStan
Stayed at Hyatt month or so ago. Needs remodeling very badly!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
We've gone to the Hyatt with friends eight years in a row. It's hard to complain about a resort pool, lazy river, and a cabana chica that keeps giving me margaritas.

Maybe I'm missing out by not going to the JW but we enjoy the Hyatt. Curious to hear opinions on those that have done both.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
JW and Hyatt are both nice. I have found great value in point redemptions (chase cc transfers) at the Hyatt if you have that option.

The JW is often absurdly expensive IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.