Europe thoughts for family w teens (London, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia)

1,574 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been way behind planning vacations this year. This forum was a great help on Hawaii recommendations for the trip we just got back from, and now we are looking at a family trip to Europe in July and we don't have anything right now but a skeleton of a plan with nothing booked yet.

We took our boys to Germany and Alsace when they were much younger, but now that they are older teens I want to be sure we make this a fun trip for them. They probably like history more than most kids, but will get bored quickly by museums and cathedrals. They like to eat well and are active. I think at least one place where we can feel comfortable just letting them wander around and do their own thing will be helpful.

Here's the general itinerary that's taking shape in my mind:

Fly to London. Spend 1-2 nights in London. Fly to Seville. Spend 2-4 nights in Seville; if we do 3-4 nights then would do day trip to Cordoba. IF Italy opens up in the interim, would cut Seville short and do 1-2 nights in Venice. Then 5-6 nights in either Croatia or Greece.

I have no idea if Eurail is back operating at a full schedule in terms of getting around. If we do Croatia, which is where we are leaning, then would definitely rent a car and hit Dubrovnik as well as at least one other town and some of the countryside.

Any general input anyone has on traveling in Europe w teens, or about any of these possible spots (Croatia or Greece, especially, since we haven't been to either), would be greatly appreciated.
ATM9000
AG
1-2 nights in London? That's way too short. If that's all you want to allocate to it, my opinion is you just skip it and move on to your other destinations.
90 bull
AG
If you have a chance to go to Cordoba, the Mezquita is incredible.
I would suggest Croatia over Greece, mainly because I found the Greek Islands disappointing. Having said that, we spent three nights in Athens and should've spent more.
With 5 to 6 days in Croatia, I would suggest Split, Plitvice national Park, and either a ferry over to Hvar or going up to Zadar. We preferred Zadar, but taking a ferry over to the islands is a great experience. Since Dubrovnik is very far south, and you have to drive through Bosnia to get there, I would skip it due to time.
We loved Croatia-spent 9 weeks there any hopefully will go back in a few months.
DTP02
AG
ATM9000 said:

1-2 nights in London? That's way too short. If that's all you want to allocate to it, my opinion is you just skip it and move on to your other destinations.

It's too short to see a whole lot in London, but not too short to give our boys a taste, and most of the flight options to Seville already have a layover in Heathrow built in, so we're just extending it.

If you have any thoughts from experience with teens about what were biggest hits in London please share. Soccer game would have made the list but it's off-season unfortunately.
ATM9000
AG
DTP02 said:

ATM9000 said:

It's too short to see a whole lot in London, but not too short to give our boys a taste, and most of the flight options to Seville already have a layover in Heathrow built in, so we're just extending it.

If you have any thoughts from experience with teens about what were biggest hits in London please share. Soccer game would have made the list but it's off-season unfortunately.

I've got smaller kids so can't help you there. You should bear in mind that the UK is NOT part of the EU travel rules, the US is still on the amber list in the UK and all of the rumors in Europe right now is the UK is likely to not lift their restrictions until July 21st now vs the original June 21 plan.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'd skip Venice, personally. It's confusing to get around. It stinks. The food is subpar compared to the rest of Italy. If you're wanting to take them to Italy, I'd take them to Rome if they haven't been there. But you need at least 2.5-3 days there IMO. It's probably my favorite "big city" in the world. I think it's absolutely fascinating.
fire09
AG
Looks like you have about 2 weeks to figure out. If it were me, I would split time between Greece, italy and Croatia.
Western EU is crapshoot with regulations changing constantly and bull**** covid tests. Maybe Spain will be open consistently first.
If I had 2 weeks I would: fly into Athens, spend 3 days there, 3 days in Santorini. 2 days Dubrovnik, 2 days Split/hvar, remainder Naples/ amalfi coast. Skip London and Venice, bundle those onto another trip. In our new normal uncertain times, Greece and Croatia are your winners. They dgaf about covid. It's nice.

I have passing covid results from Croatia. I'll email them to you if you need a reference for your trip.
DTP02
AG
Spain is pretty much open, or will be very soon, if you've been vaccinated. Italy is on hold for us until they open up more. Trying to leave some flexibility in the middle of the trip for if that happens.
OilManAg91
AG
I just returned from a 9 day trip to Croatia last week. It is fully open if you are vaccinated with zero travel restrictions. Most if not all restaurants are functional and everyone was very nice and happy to have tourists. I cannot recommend Croatia enough. It is the best combination of Italy and Greece. The only thing it doesn't have is world class museums, but as you said, you are not looking for that anyway. Our itinerary was fly into Split, spend the afternoon and take the ferry to Hvar. 3 nights in Hvar than ferry to Korcula for 2 nights. Then ferry to Dubrovnik for 3 nights and fly out. It was a great itinerary to see the Dalmatian coast. Beautiful beaches, crystal clear water, awesome restaurants, tons of history with Roman ruins, old forts and walled cities. Can rent a boat, take a water taxi or hire a charter to take day trips to secluded coves and one off beach restaurants. Really spectacular trip. There are many other places to go, like if you want to stay more north then you could go to Rovinj and the island Vis instead of the Dalmatian coast. I have lots of recommendations for hotel, restaurants and other things to do but will wait on that for now. While I like Venice more than the person above, I would also recommend Rome as it has much more to do (although it can get a bit hot in the summer).
DTP02
AG
Sounds great. Anything you would change on that itinerary in retrospect? Are ferries just the easiest way to get around ? It looks like the Korcula to Dubrovnik leg would be driveable.

I was already looking at spending most of our time in Croatia around the same region you did, so be forewarned that I may be peppering you with additional questions.
90 bull
AG
We loved Croatia and our two favorite places were Krk and Zadar.
OilManAg91
AG
I would recommend the same itinerary for a first trip to Croatia, or reverse the direction and go Dubrovnik to Korcula to Split. You could take a ferry from Italy (Rome or Venice) if you don't want to fly but it will might be 6ish hour ferry trip so flying might be the better option.

It is very easy to get around on the passenger ferries as they pick up and drop off right in the heart of the towns and you have very short walk to your hotel, maybe a few hundred yards in Hvar and Korcula. The car ferries are slower and drop off outside of towns. Dubrovnik is a 5-10 min taxi ride but it's easy and cheap. Also, each island is 1 - 2 hour ferry ride so just long enough to relax but not too long so its boring, and the scenery is beautiful. And the water is pretty calm so taking the Krilo catamaran ferries are fast. You don't want to bring your car in this part of Croatia. Just return it in Split or wherever you start your itinerary and then get a new one later if you need it. You are more likely to rent a water taxi during this part of your trip than wanting to rent a car, although it is super easy to rent a car for the day (which we did) if you want to explore the island and go to remote beaches or restaurants if you don't want to take a water taxi. I would not drive from Korcula to Dubrovnik (or vice versa depending on how your do your itinerary) as it is only a 2 hour ferry trip, it is cheap and easy.

Your two boys will love Croatia and hanging out at the beach clubs at each stop. All these places are great but Hvar is an especially pretty rocking place they will never want to leave, and neither will you.
tamc93
AG
Your teens may like this as a break from history lessons.

https://www.thelondonbridgeexperience.com/
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
DTP02
AG
OilManAg91 said:

I would recommend the same itinerary for a first trip to Croatia, or reverse the direction and go Dubrovnik to Korcula to Split. You could take a ferry from Italy (Rome or Venice) if you don't want to fly but it will might be 6ish hour ferry trip so flying might be the better option.

It is very easy to get around on the passenger ferries as they pick up and drop off right in the heart of the towns and you have very short walk to your hotel, maybe a few hundred yards in Hvar and Korcula. The car ferries are slower and drop off outside of towns. Dubrovnik is a 5-10 min taxi ride but it's easy and cheap. Also, each island is 1 - 2 hour ferry ride so just long enough to relax but not too long so its boring, and the scenery is beautiful. And the water is pretty calm so taking the Krilo catamaran ferries are fast. You don't want to bring your car in this part of Croatia. Just return it in Split or wherever you start your itinerary and then get a new one later if you need it. You are more likely to rent a water taxi during this part of your trip than wanting to rent a car, although it is super easy to rent a car for the day (which we did) if you want to explore the island and go to remote beaches or restaurants if you don't want to take a water taxi. I would not drive from Korcula to Dubrovnik (or vice versa depending on how your do your itinerary) as it is only a 2 hour ferry trip, it is cheap and easy.

Your two boys will love Croatia and hanging out at the beach clubs at each stop. All these places are great but Hvar is an especially pretty rocking place they will never want to leave, and neither will you.

We just booked our flights so we're in. Flying into Dubrovnik and out from Seville. We will have 8 days in Croatia. We don't have the flight from Croatia to Seville booked yet, but there are some options from both Zadar and Split.

I'm ready for any lodging recommendations in Dubrovnik, Hvar, Korcula, Split or Zadar anyone wants to throw my way.

We won't hit all of those places, but I'd like to stay in maybe 2-3 of them with a possible day trip to Plitvice Park. Dubrovnik would be one place we want to stay for sure, so it would likely be Dubrovnik plus two other spots.
90 bull
AG
We love Zadar. Close to Plitvice and the sea organ is so unique. We stayed at three different Airbnb's there and they all were very similar. Staying on the peninsula area of Zadar is worth it compared to the mainland. Go to Plitvice. It is one of the most beautiful spots we saw in Europe. They have gone to a ticketing system, so get tickets ahead of time.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I wouldn't spend more than 2 days in Athens, at the m ost. Rent a car, drive to Delphi (home of the Oracle), then down to Nafpoli. Nafpoli is a cool coastal town with an 18th century fort towering above the town. Fun nightlife (shops/restaurants/clubs/bars) all on the waterfront. You can hit Corinthe and Mycenae on your way back to Athens, completing the circle.

Alternatively you can hit Athens>Delphi>Nafpoli>Corinthe>Athens. Longest day is 3.5 hours if you don't stop, but it is beautiful.

Athens has the Parthenon, the Plaka (market), and a lot of dirty crowded city. If someone were to save Athens for the end of their Greece trip thinking it would be the crown jewel ending, they'd be sorely disappointed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.