Going to Yosemite NP next week...

1,958 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSD
cashag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife booked a house for our family of 4, daughters 13 & 17. We have no idea what to do when we get there, so any suggestions are welcome. Also wondering how much hiking we are in for, we are pretty clueless and looking online at TripAdvisor, it looks a bit overwhelming to figure out the best itinerary over 4 days, Monday -Thursday next week. Thanks in advance!
BSD
AG
Whatever you do, do it early in the morning or late in the afternoon. It can get crowded.

Without knowing your interests, I can't give suggestions. That said, I like to do these things (go to their website to pick stuff specific to your interests):

Hiking in the valley
Seeing the waterfalls
Glacier Point
Tolueme Meadows (may still be closed from winter)
Stargazing
Mariposa Grove
Rock climbing with a guide
FancyKetchup14
AG
Following. Headed to Yosemite in July for a buddy's bachelor party.
Have you gotten your reservation? you have to get your vehicle pass in advance now.
fka ftc
Was just going to post about the reservations, definitely want to have this in hand. Go to the nps.gov website vs TripAdvisor. I have found them to be typically well done and will also link you to how to make a reservation.

Lots of the hikes in the Valley are pretty tame and the waterfalls should be flowing nicely.

Are you staying in the park?
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Marauder Blue 6
AG
http://www.yosemitehikes.com
cashag95
AG
We got our reservation already and have our day passes, we are staying near Mariposa.Thanks for the suggestions. We will probably want to do Glacier Point and are looking into hiking Mist Trail. Anybody have any thoughts or tips on these ideas?
AgRyan04
If you make it to the Toulumne area on the north side of the park, it's well worth driving out of the park towards Lee Vining and getting the fish tacos at The Mobil.

We had a climbing guide recommend it and they were kinda incredible.
archangelus2
AG
I recommend renting bikes and taking them to mirror lake for a picnic. It was one of my favorite activities from our 3 day trip. If you hike around the lake a bit you get away from the crowd and have a spot to yourself, bring a hammock and stare at half-dome, dip your feet in the water for a refreshing chill.

Also Glacier Point is a big bang for your buck and gives you a totally different view of the park. Taft Point and Sentinel Dome trails are nearby if you want to do a little hiking and lose your stomach when you look over the edge.
SJEAg
AG
Been a while, but Taft Point sticks out in my mind as being really cool and a relatively short hike. I recall not spending much time in the valley as that's where the Disney-world type crowds are.

Depending on what side/where you're coming from and how long you're staying...Mono Lake, Mammoth Lakes, and even Lake Tahoe aren't terribly far away.
LRHF
AG
Ummm...

Cable Route up Half Dome!
nosoupforyou
AG
Here's my detailed itinerary that I used to see everything in a short amount of time. We hiked Half Dome on my 40th birthday- amazing!! but - you have to get a permit.

Happy to answer questions - it was such a great trip

Thursday Sep 18 - from 8 am to 1 pm PST to apply to Half Dome lottery (notified late that night)
www.recreation.gov 877-444-6777

Friday Sep 18
- From SFO - drive 4 hours to Yosemite Lodge where we are staying just outside the park entrance
- After about 2.5 hours and 150 miles outside SFO, stop for dinner at the enchanting Vista Ranch and Cellars Restaurant live music, wood fired pizza, wine, etc. www.vistacellars.com
- Drive another hour to Yosemite View Lodge - 11136 Highway 140, El Portal, CA 95318 (209)379-2681

Saturday Sep 19
- Drive 1 hr 45 minutes to Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center and the Yosemite High Country hiking area
o 1 hour to Olmsted Point (view of half dome) mile hike awesome!
o 3 minutes to Tenaya Lake - just walk to it and relax... don't walk the 2.5 mile loop around
o 15 minutes to Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center many options to look and hike
o 25 minutes back to May Lake hike 3 miles round trip 3 hours - DON'T MISS!
- Drive an hour back to the Valley
o Stop by Bridalvail Falls short hike nice don't miss since it doesn't take long.
o Drive past El Capitan see climbers going up
o Mountain Room Restaurant 209-372-1403 is a good spot for dinner great outdoor views
- Drive 20 minutes back to Yosemite View Lodge

Sunday Sep 20
- Leave by 5 am for Half Dome 30 minute drive -park near Curry Village or Happy Isles Trailhead Parking.
- Sunrise is 6:39 am - We started the 17 mile trek at 5:30 am (dark!!) and got back to the car at 6:30 pm
o Take the Mist Trail on the way up (lots of steep steps) and then come back down via the John Muir Trial
- Dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Village 5 Star beautiful! (Great breakfast brunch also!)
- Back to Yosemite View Lodge

Monday Sep 21
- Drive to Inspiration Point check it out at sunrise DON'T MISS SUNRISE AMAZING!
- Drive 1 hour to Glacier Point. Stop at Washburn Point on the way up.
- Head back to SFO

The Grinder (99)
AG
Nosoup, I've never been, so pardon my asking, but what hike is that first pic from?
LRHF
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

Nosoup, I've never been, so pardon my asking, but what hike is that first pic from?

Cable route up backside of half dome
nosoupforyou
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

That's the Half Dome hike

You leave the parking lot at 6:00 am- get to the dome by 11:00 or so.. climb/pull up the cables and then hang out up there for 30-60 minutes for pics, then hike back down and at the parking lot by 6:00 pm. 13 miles I think

Strong recommend!
stubby93ag
AG
Yosemite is such an amazing place, you really can't go wrong. All of the above suggestions are great.

Tioga Rd appears to be open, so if you have the time driving that road is a good way to spend some time. If you decide to head towards Tuolumne Meadow and want to go a little further towards Lee Vining it gets pretty scenic that way. We had a great breakfast at the gas station in Lee Vining at the intersection of Tioga Rd and US 395.

If you're into hiking, here is a good website detailing trails in the various regions of the park
Yosemite Hiking Trails

My wife and I were there in Sept 2019 and did a nice day hike called 20 Lakes Basin Loop. It's off of Tioga Rd in the Inyo National Forest just east of the park (near Lee Vining). It's fairly flat but at a little over 10,000'. In the summer, there is a water taxi that can transport you across Saddlebag Lake and shave 4 miles or so off the hike. When the Valley gets crowded, this was a nice scenic trail that you can basically have to yourself.

Have a great trip!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Thread is making me look up dates. Place is straight up magical.
cashag95
AG
Here's a pic from yesterday, so beautiful here!
The Grinder (99)
AG
Any recommendations on where to stay? Looking to go (family of 4)
BSD
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

Any recommendations on where to stay? Looking to go (family of 4)

In the park. That way you already there and beat the daytrippers and have twilight hours with less people as they head out. Great stargazing too.

Camp Curry for "tent camping." They have heaters and beds. Communal bath/restrooms.

The Alwhanee is expensive and not super great but it's a classic. I do like the dining hall there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.