Another passport question

4,819 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXTransplant
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we mailed off our expired passports 15 days ago, and did 2 day priority mail along with insured to Philadelphia. Looks like they made it to the USPS facility in Philly on 5/17 but no update on delivery since then. Anyone had this issue before?
62strat
AG
agdaddy04 said:

So we mailed off our expired passports 15 days ago, and did 2 day priority mail along with insured to Philadelphia. Looks like they made it to the USPS facility in Philly on 5/17 but no update on delivery since then. Anyone had this issue before?
I only saw 2 statuses I believe, processing, and then approved. My expedited took 6 weeks plus a few days.
dodger02
AG
I sent in my wife's expedited renewal in January. It took two weeks just to get to the Philly office then sat there for about a week before being processed and sent back to me. I think it took almost four weeks from beginning to end.
agdaddy04
AG
They finally show to have received it on 6/24 - 6 weeks after mailing. Now expecting to be another 12 weeks.
Burrus86
AG
Mailed my passport renewal on Friday, May 21st. I got my new passport back on Wednesday, June 23rd. I was quite surprised at how quick they processed everything.

Good luck!
agdaddy04
AG
did you pay for expediting?
drewser95
AG
So from what I can gather from this and some of the other threads -- sending in an expedited renewal request tomorrow (July 8) for a September 8th departure is probably an exercise in futility, correct?
62strat
AG
4 weeks is a pipe dream I think. I'd go to a passport agency.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html
Burrus86
AG
agdaddy04 said:

did you pay for expediting?

No
agdaddy04
AG
Very odd then. Although if you live in Texas I think you send it to a different office than we do.
BusterAg
AG
If you need an agency appointment, see my update here: https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3206744
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
maroon10
AG
I sent my renewal from Houston in May, status says they received in June and processing. Trip end of September so really gritting my teeth on this one.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Can I send an application by FedEx instead of postal service? It's my wife's renewal. Don't need it until January but its for a massive life milestone trip and there will be hell to pay if we miss it over a passport.
62strat
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Can I send an application by FedEx instead of postal service? It's my wife's renewal. Don't need it until January but its for a massive life milestone trip and there will be hell to pay if we miss it over a passport.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

item 6.

I'll paste it for you
If you live in the United States, you must use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail your renewal application and supporting documents. If you live in Canada, you should use Canada Post. Please do not use other delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Only USPS or Canada Post can deliver to the PO Box addresses listed on Form DS-82. If you use UPS, FedEx, DHL, or another company to send your application, the application will be returned to you.
agdaddy04
AG
Just got notification it's out for print and then will be mailed. Well short of the stated 12 weeks
maroon10
AG
You beat me. Mine is still "processing" and mailed it a week before you did. But, Irving office.
drewser95
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Just got notification it's out for print and then will be mailed. Well short of the stated 12 weeks
Have you received it yet (and did you pay extra for the expedited 1-2 day return shipping?)?
agdaddy04
AG
drewser95 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Have you received it yet (and did you pay extra for the expedited 1-2 day return shipping?)?

Yes I did receive it. Didn't do expedited mail.
maroon10
AG
Still waiting over hereso annoying
TXTransplant
Kid just submitted his app for a new 16+ passport. Lady at the post office said 18 weeks.

Have a trip to Canada booked for Christmas, so I'll be holding my breath.

Did not pay the extra $ to get it expedited. Might be kicking myself over that, but I did not realize the wait times had actually gotten that long.
hds
AG
My 17 year old needs to do this. Can you tell me exactly what he needs to take? Current passport is valid until next summer but need to join the back log now to get it back by March. Did you have to go with your son?
TXTransplant
hds said:

My 17 year old needs to do this. Can you tell me exactly what he needs to take? Current passport is valid until next summer but need to join the back log now to get it back by March. Did you have to go with your son?

Sure. I started another thread on this specific issue because I was nervous about the process, but it went smoothly.

I did not have to go with him, but I sent him with a copy of my DL, checks (with my name on them) to pay for everything, and a notarized letter saying he had my permission to get a passport.

He took the DS-11 form (be sure to sign it before he goes to the post office), his DL, a copy of his DL, his original birth cert, a copy of his birth cert, and his old passport and passport card.

All that stuff was overkill, but it was easy to send with him, just in case. The notarized letter is also supposed to be optional, but I wasn't taking any chances.

He also went to a facility that takes the photo. We used the post office in Tomball. Getting an appt is a PITA. You can only schedule them 4 weeks out. Pick your day and make sure you sign up first thing. The appointments go fast, and most places only offer them between about 10 am and 2 pm.
hds
AG
Thank you! I have followed your post about the passport so knew you would know exactly what was needed. Happy Travels and fingers crossed it comes in on time!
agdaddy04
AG
TXTransplant said:

Kid just submitted his app for a new 16+ passport. Lady at the post office said 18 weeks.

Have a trip to Canada booked for Christmas, so I'll be holding my breath.

Did not pay the extra $ to get it expedited. Might be kicking myself over that, but I did not realize the wait times had actually gotten that long.

If it's getting close, try your congressman or senator.
TXTransplant
Yeah, I saw you posted that on another thread. I'll give it until the week before Thanksgiving. If I don't have any news by then, I'll contact Cruz's or Brady's office.

Do all TX renewals and applications go to the office in Dallas?
TXTransplant
hds said:

Thank you! I have followed your post about the passport so knew you would know exactly what was needed. Happy Travels and fingers crossed it comes in on time!

Wanted to add: They kept his birth cert with the application. I thought since he already has a passport they would not keep the original. So, be sure you bring the original and a copy.
agdaddy04
AG
Sure do.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We renewed my kids on July 6th and got them back yesterday. Not bad.
maroon10
AG
Wth
TXTransplant
So, this was just too ridiculous not to share.

When I made my son's appt for yesterday, I never got an email or text confirmation. That feature seems to have stopped working on the USPS website. Thank goodness I printed the confirmation screen before closing it.

I JUST received a "reminder" email from USPS.com about his appointment in my email inbox. For an appointment that was yesterday, over 18 hours ago.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sorry. I'll use this opportunity again to reference the Galveston County district office in league city. Wife was in and out in 20 minutes for two passports with no appointment.
TXTransplant
I believe the Kingwood post office takes walk-ins, too.
drewser95
AG
For anyone interested/keeping score:

• Mailed expedited renewal application to Philadelphia via Priority Express on July 17th
  • Website acknowledged receipt July 21st
  • Got notice today that it was approved, and should arrive around Aug 14th (had paid for optional priority return shipping)

Can breathe a little easier now for the September 8th departure.
maroon10
AG
Appointments don't work when you've already sent in old passport and paid, correct? So those waiting are just, waiting.
maroon10
AG
How close to vacation time should one contact Senators office for passport help? A week out?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.