Palo Duro in July or August?

7,330 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are were supposed to go to Palo Duro Canyon this spring but those plans got changed. Now I'm wondering if it's okay to visit there in July or August. TIA!
Yesterday
AG
We were there last July and it was definitely hot in the afternoon. Just get out and explore early and then find some place to relax during the late afternoon. We were off the trails by noon. There were Park Rangers patrolling and making sure people had water.

One of the coolest(no pun intended) places in Texas.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
My wife and I stopped there for a day on our way home from Colorado last August. The morning was great for hiking but it gets pretty hot down in the canyon in the afternoon. Bring water and sunscreen and you'll be good.

Beautiful area and definitely worth a visit
CanyonAg77
AG
Definitely maybe. Panhandle weather changes rapidly, and you can get some cooler weather and rain.

July and August are usually hot here, so expect that. Normally, the canyon will be hotter than the surrounding country. So if Amarillo is at 90 degrees, don't be surprised if the floor of the canyon is at 100. You will also not get the wind to cool you off, that you get up on the plains.

The good news is that, under normal conditions, it cools off nicely in the evenings. The canyon is about 3000' above sea level, and the dry climate means cooler nights. As others have mentioned, that translates to cool mornings, so get out early and explore and be done hiking by noon.

Use the afternoons to nap or visit the museum in Canyon.

The Texas! musical drama is back on for this year, so be aware of that traffic and noise in the evenings.
Gig-Em2003
AG
We did the Lighthouse trail last July 4th with kids in tow. Youngest was 5. Had a good time but did not have enough water for our group. We were fine, but had we had more water it would have been more enjoyable. Definitely hot down there but not unbearable.
aggiemom89
Heading there next week and was wondering how hot it will be in May.
Gig-Em2003
AG
It could be anywhere from 60-95 down there in may. But you'll be fine.
CanyonAg77
AG
aggiemom89 said:

We are supposedly having a wetter-than-normal week the next 7 days or so. Might be really cool for a few days.

I am the TexAgs resident PD Canyon guy, so ask questions if you have them.
07ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

aggiemom89 said:

We are supposedly having a wetter-than-normal week the next 7 days or so. Might be really cool for a few days.

staying in the rim cabins in early september, will be first time to pd canyon,, not sure what to ask, any tips for a newbie?
https://ts.la/eric59704
CanyonAg77
AG
07ag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

aggiemom89 said:

staying in the rim cabins in early september, will be first time to pd canyon,, not sure what to ask, any tips for a newbie?
Should be a great time of year. Our "normal" wet periods are last days of May and the first week of September, but we've not hit "normal" in several years.

By "rim cabins", do you mean the ones in the park built by the CCC, or the private ones, Dove's Rest? The former have a definite cool factor, but are a lot more primitive. The latter also have great views, but are outside the State Park, so you will have to enter the park through the gate each day.

The Park Store does have a few supplies, but stock up supplies in town (12 miles away)

Plan one afternoon or bad weather day trip into Canyon to see the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum

Swing by Caprock Canyons if you have the time

Assuming good weather, star gazing will be beyond what most people are used to

Check the Park web site for any programs offered

There are some small erosional caves that aren't on the park map. First parking area past the stables.

CanyonAg77
AG
Some PD Canyon links from earlier threads

https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/2125220#r32210077

https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/1803079#r26190474

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2730533

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2249351

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2381983

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2393962
Wicked Good Ag
Thank you Canyon Ag You are the go to man for that area along with NM
07ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

07ag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

aggiemom89 said:

Should be a great time of year. Our "normal" wet periods are last days of May and the first week of September, but we've not hit "normal" in several years.

By "rim cabins", do you mean the ones in the park built by the CCC, or the private ones, Dove's Rest? The former have a definite cool factor, but are a lot more primitive. The latter also have great views, but are outside the State Park, so you will have to enter the park through the gate each day.

The Park Store does have a few supplies, but stock up supplies in town (12 miles away)

Plan one afternoon or bad weather day trip into Canyon to see the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum

Swing by Caprock Canyons if you have the time

Assuming good weather, star gazing will be beyond what most people are used to

Check the Park web site for any programs offered

There are some small erosional caves that aren't on the park map. First parking area past the stables.

thanks for all the advice and the other links!

we're booked for 2 nights in the ones in the park built by the CCC. not going to have too flexible of a schedule, part of a bigger roadtrip on way to denver for aggie game, but caprock canyons looks beautiful!

CanyonAg77
AG
Good choice. The private ones are a lot more luxurious, but the CCC cabins are perched right on the rim, by the visitor's center. Quite spectacular. As I said before, they are pretty basic, but that's part of the fun.

I'm not much of a hiker. The erosional caves are a pretty short hike, the Givens-Lowry trail gets you to some nice views without going very far. Capitol Peak and Lighthouse trails are a lot further, but well within the range of someone of decent fitness and ability.

You might check for a burn ban before you come. If there's one in effect, not sure you can cook on the outdoor grill. A small propane grill might be a good backup plan.
07ag
AG
I like short and easy hikes and Not sleeping outside, basic cabin ok though. thanks for the tip about food, sounds like something we'll have to put some planning in to
CanyonAg77
AG
If you want to come eat in town, Sayakomarn's is a great Thai place. Pepitos for Mexican (and supporting our neighbors), Green Chile Willies (north of town on I-27) for Chicken Fried Steak and steak, though we lack a GREAT steak place. Yellow Rose is a new place that we've had good luck with. Feldman's is a good "American" food place for all-around food.
07ag
AG
do you have any advice/tips on things to see/do/eat along 287 into amarillo/canyon area? or inbetween there and denver?
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

though we lack a GREAT steak place.
Yeah, there used to be the Bonanza Steakhouse at I-40 and Western, but that's long gone ... (hahahahaha, when I was growing up in Canyon 40-50 years ago, we'd go out for steak about 4 times a year and that's where we always went. Except for the ONE time we went to the Big Texan Steak Ranch, just to say we had been there) ...

Kind of ironic that there's not a Great steak place in Amarillo, given the tens of thousands of cattle in residence near Hereford, Friona, and Bovina ...

btw, living down here on the Gulf Coast near Houston I encounter a lot of people who have never heard of Palo Duro C or have no idea how large and beautiful it is ... I tell them they HAVE to put this on their bucket list, and the usual response is something along the lines of "it's so far away"... I take a deep breath and point out that it's closer than Big Bend (kind of) ... and that they have an airport in Amarillo that you can fly to from HOU or IAH ...

I haven't been to PDC since 2009 and I'm dying to get back up there and hike the trails ...
CanyonAg77
AG
If the Double XXL steak house north of Lake Meredith has survived COVID, it's the best I've been to in the Panhandle. The Texas Rose* may end up being a good one, and I have yet to try Canyon Ranch down on the square. If I do, I will report. It seems quite popular.

Forgot to add that there is a honey farm/ winery/ grill on the PD Canyon highway, just west of I-27. Haven't eaten there yet, but their parking lot is always full. Creek House Honey Farm

*Ooops, I called it Yellow Rose, because their logo is a yellow rose.
Snipes
AG
We're making a couple night pit stop on our way to Colorado memorial day weekend. Staying at the juniper campground in the park. Will be three adults and two kids (18 months and 3yrs). We have proper backpack to put kids in during hikes. Is the lighthouse trail to sketchy to climb up it with kids in back packs? Any other kid friendly hikes?
CanyonAg77
AG
Again, I'm no expert on hiking. I believe the Lighthouse trail is relatively easy, except for the final climb up on top. But it is a 5.6 mile round trip. Can you do a 10K carrying a toddler?

Any trail that follows the river is going to be pretty easy, i.e., flat. The really difficult ones are the ones that go east, up the sheer face of the cliffs.

Givens/Lowry is pretty easy, only one or two big rocks to climb over. But it is an active bike trail, so you need to keep little ones close. And it has some drop-offs to watch, as well.

Looking at the PDF map

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4506_0007p.pdf

You can see a marking south of the amphitheater for the "Kiowa Trail" that follows the creek. But just below the words "Kiowa Trail" is a parking area. The trail is not on the map, but to the west are the small erosional caves. Short hike, we did it last year with a 2-year-old.
CanyonAg77
AG
07ag said:

do you have any advice/tips on things to see/do/eat along 287 into amarillo/canyon area? or inbetween there and denver?

Getting to PD from Houston, not a lot. Keep in mind, you could go 6 to 36 to I-20 to 84 to I-27, College Station-Temple-Abilene-Sweetwater-Roscoe Lubbock. Some different country, and you avoid the Metromess (D-FW) You can also slide south of Abilene and eat at Perini Ranch, Buffalo Gap.

Via 287 - You could peel off of 287 at the Speed Trap town of Estelline, and go across 86 through Turkey and Quitaque, and make a quick circle through Caprock Canyons. Then north on 207 through some pretty country by Lake McKenzie, and through the lower Palo Duro.

On 287, I think the Charles Goodnight house is a nice stop. He was the real Captain Call from "Lonesome Dove".

Boys Ranch was built at the site of Tascosa, there is a small museum and Boot Hill. At Channing is the nicely restored XIT business office.

Clayton has the historic Eklund Saloon, which used to be a good place to eat, you need to check recent reviews.

Nice dinosaur trackway at Clayton Lake.

If the weather is good, turn at Des Moines, go through Folsom, and cross Johnson Mesa to Raton.

USAFA has a bunch of airplanes on sticks, visitor center, and places where you can watch sailplane/parachute ops. Depends on the security conditions as to whether you can get on base, and you can't carry a firearm on base at any time, so plan accordingly.
CanyonAg77
AG
aggiemom89 said:

Currently 66 with a heavy thunderstorm over the city of Canyon right now, about 15 miles upstream of the park. Should but some water in the creek.

Good reminder that Panhandle weather can change in an instant, and you should be watching the forecast and prepared for anything. Even a flash flood.

Current forecasts call for rain at least the next 5 days
Yesterday
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

aggiemom89 said:

Currently 66 with a heavy thunderstorm over the city of Canyon right now, about 15 miles upstream of the park. Should but some water in the creek.

Good reminder that Panhandle weather can change in an instant, and you should be watching the forecast and prepared for anything. Even a flash flood.

Current forecasts call for rain at least the next 5 days

I heard they had a tornado there during Spring Break.
CanyonAg77
AG
Low level one, it tossed around a few RVs at a private park just outside the entrance. This was up on the plains above the rim. It certainly could drop into the canyon, but is seems less likely than one up on top.
BrazosBendHorn
Recommend that you visit the PD Canyon page on FB for updates on trail status.

https://www.facebook.com/PaloDuroCanyonSP/

From this morning:

UPDATE: Trail systems remain CLOSED today due to continued rainfall. More precipitation is predicted for this afternoon and the rest of the week. Please check here for updates.
BrazosBendHorn
They had a significant rockslide on the park road last night, according to their FB page.
CanyonAg77
AG
Palo Duro Canyon State Park - Texas Parks and Wildlife is at Palo Duro Canyon State Park - Texas Parks and Wildlife.

PARK UPDATE:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

GOOD- The Hill is open for guests to drive down and the Burn Ban is OFF!

BAD and UGLY-- The intense rains have caused severe flood damage, washing away 2/3 of our trail bridges, causing dangerous rock slides, eroding trails beyond use and flooding others. Because of the damage, our trail system is not safe and closed at least through the weekend. We must dry out and then assess and repair the damage. Thank you for your understanding and support. We will update as often as possible on the progress.
#Natureislit #palodurocanyon #txstateparks
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Going to see TEXAS the musical on May 30th.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I was going to say, no one has commented on "Texas" the musical? Glad to see it mentioned. It is worth doing.

We went to see it on a camp trip there, we actually had a distant thunderstorm rolling by in the far off background. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, PD is great and every Texan should go there. The lighthouse is the the signature landform aside for the canyon itself, so do that hike. Just bring plenty of water. Haven't done it in about 20 years but I don't believe there's any shade

Incidentally, this is the place where I saw my dad in a different light. I was in med school in Amarillo and he came to visit. He had had a heart attack several months earlier but was doing well. We decided to try the hike. It was a cool fall day so I thought it would be ok. We ended up turning around as it wa clearly becoming. A bit much for him. It sort of dawned on me he wasn't able to just push it and do whatever he wanted anymore. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud but that was a pivotal moment in the way I saw him. He's 80 now and I'm glad we did go down there and experience the canyon when he was 60.

Have fun
CanyonAg77
AG
"Texas!" Was written in the 1960s, so the script was a little dated. Then the director for decades was a WT prof who was really into dance. Way, way, too much dance.

The current director was the former drama teacher at Canyon High, a good guy who has streamlined and updated the show, while remaining true to the original theme

Bottom line, if you last saw it 20 years ago, it's a better show now.

I've seen it 5 or more times in 50 years. it's always fun, and a bucket list item for a Texan
drewbie96
AG
We just stayed at PD earlier this week in the Mesquite loop. Was hot as F@&$, but worth it. Beware of the biting flies and knats. Bring plenty of Off and vanilla. Saw Texas! And highly recommend it. We did the Lighthouse trail, but only made it about 1.5 miles in, but we got a late start to the morning. Had we started earlier, I would have pushed the family a little harder. Bring plenty of water.
07ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Palo Duro Canyon State Park - Texas Parks and Wildlife is at Palo Duro Canyon State Park - Texas Parks and Wildlife.

PARK UPDATE:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

GOOD- The Hill is open for guests to drive down and the Burn Ban is OFF!

BAD and UGLY-- The intense rains have caused severe flood damage, washing away 2/3 of our trail bridges, causing dangerous rock slides, eroding trails beyond use and flooding others. Because of the damage, our trail system is not safe and closed at least through the weekend. We must dry out and then assess and repair the damage. Thank you for your understanding and support. We will update as often as possible on the progress.
#Natureislit #palodurocanyon #txstateparks
any last minute updates on the park and/or restaurants in the area? will be at the rim cabins for 2 nights early next week
billyjack2009
Following. We're headed that way Columbus Day weekend.
CanyonAg77
AG
As said above, their Facebook page is best for currents on the park.

As far as restaurants, Texas Rose is fairly good, but seem to way over season their steaks.

Have been to the Canyon Ranch restaurant on the square downtown. Pretty good, little more expensive.

I think I forgot to mention Buffs, a good hamburger/steak finger/ breakfast place. Ranch House is also good breakfast, will probably run into some of the local farmers/ranchers. Buenos Dias also good for breakfast
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.