Hawaii questions

11,184 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HECUBUS
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hike Maui
streetfighter2012
AG
Anyone been to Hawaii (Maui more specifically) recently? I'm curious how things are going in terms of Covid restrictions and testing for entry with the Delta hype the last several weeks.

We are booked to travel in December and had hoped everything would be back open 100% by then.
ColoradoMooseHerd
streetfighter2012 said:

Anyone been to Hawaii (Maui more specifically) recently? I'm curious how things are going in terms of Covid restrictions and testing for entry with the Delta hype the last several weeks.

We are booked to travel in December and had hoped everything would be back open 100% by then.
Mask mandates are still at most places, definitely indoors.

Best to be vaccinated if you don't want to have issues entering the State and Hotels. Things definitely will not be back to normal by the end of the year. This is a very popular destination that has lots of visitors from all around the world and saw a rush of visitors coming that refuses vaccination and fought with mask mandates, which caused a jump in infection rates amongst its local population. They pushed back very hard and wanted to protect the people that were there over the visitors.

There is a major shortage of labor, so if you visit make reservations for everything now expect long lines at restaurants, hotels and everywhere else. I had a great vacation there, but the lines everywhere and the lack of workers was a bigger issue than I expected.
malenurse
AG
Just got back from the Big Island. 5 in my party, 3 were vaxxed, two were not. All info and tests downloaded before hand, spent less than 10 minutes being processed after landing.

United was strict on the masks, but, were very polite.

As mentioned before, everything indoors you needed masks. Nowhere else.

ETA: We stayed in a condo and cooked our own meals. Only ate out twice but had no issues. Car rentals are improving, but book your vehicle early. My DIL's father works for Enterprise so we had no issues. Most of our excursions we booked before leaving Houston.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
The Milkman
AG
Leaving for Maui on Saturday AM and then Kauai after that. So excited for this trip to finally be here.
HECUBUS
AG
Did a week on the South side of Kauai (beach front condo) and a week on the North side (3/2 house on anini beach). Saw/did everything, explored a new beach every day and had some amazing food. Total paradise, but perfect everything 24/7 actually gets old after a couple of weeks. It was our best pre-kid beach vacation, amazing, fun and relaxing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.