Thrifty Car Rental?

885 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Old Ag 74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never rented from Thrifty before, but made a reservation back in January with them for a trip to Hawaii next month. With the current car shortage, I tried to contact them for assurance that I would have a car when I arrived and was only able to contact them via their Facebook page. Was surprised to see the mostly negative posts about Thrifty, how poor the customer service is, and how they constantly try to slip in extra charges on the customer. Thrifty asked me to DM them about my inquiry so I sent my confirmation number and rental dates. They replied they would research and get back to me (and thanked me for my patience). 24 hours later - no response.

Getting a bit nervous in lieu of reports of car shortages, poor communication thus far and other negative reviews. Has anyone else had experience (good or bad) with Thrifty? TIA
AgCPA95
AG
I'm betting the people complaining about fees with 1-star reviews are likely people that have never or rarely rented a vehicle and don't understand all the pass-through fees from the airport, local sports associations and the like that all companies have to collect. Thrifty would typically be cheaper and attract the purely price per day bargain shopper and don't have as many regular or business travelers with better loyalty programs like Hertz, National and Avis. Thrifty is actually owned by Hertz but it obviously a different product line. If you have a detailed quote outlining charges I wouldn't sweat it. As far as availability I think you have that risk with any company. Enjoy!

Edit - and I have rented from them where my normal Corporate programs (National/Enterprise & Hertz) were sold out without issue.
Old Ag 74
AG
Thanks for the reply!
Harry Stone
AG
i booked dollar/thrifty through AAA for spring break. after waiting in line for nearly an hour we get to the front and had another 2 hour wait to get my car after checking in, which was a luxury car. i cancelled at the desk and ordered an avis through costco, went to the avis desk and got my car immediately. will never book through dollar/thrifty again.
ContinentalAg
In Arizona last week. Thrifty Iine was 2 hours long. Life is too short.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Look to the name...
EMY92
AG
I had a good experience with Thrifty in Salt Lake City a few years ago. I was glad that I didn't go with Hertz or Avis. I was out in 20 minutes. There were people in both Hertz & Avis lines that were there for several hours.
AgCPA95
AG
For the OP.

I looked at their website and you may want to sign up for their affinity program "Blue Chip". With that the app, it appears like you may be able to check in on-line and skip the counter. Pretty common now with most agencies as they will already have your DL and other information on file.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Stay away. I have a huge grudge against them and pledged to never use them and to steer people other directions.

We rented a car in Orlando from them. We were a late flight in and they had the paperwork ready for us to sign, which at first seemed like good customer service but it was because they wanted to lock up and go home. They said not a word, just gave me the papers, showed me where to initial and sign, and ushered me out to pick up the car.

Well, if you know Orlando, you know there are toll roads everywhere. I've rented from Enterprise many times and they make tolls easy. Not Thrifty.

After we returned home, a few weeks later, we get a bill for like $900. They charged for the tolls, and $29 PER TIME through the toll booth as an "administrative fee".

First, that is BS. Who in their right might thinks that is a fair cost for an administrative fee. Second, they made fixing it difficult. They blamed me, saying that they offered me a devise to "rent" when I checked out my car that would have been cheaper, but since I refused it, they charged the ridiculous fee. I said prove that I refused it, and they couldn't. They did not offer me a darn thing, and nothing was said about it. They could not produce any proof I was offered it. But still, I had to dispute the charges on my credit card, and elevate it several levels before they settled with me for a reasonable price.

And of course, when I looked at their reviews and social media, I found many, many people with the same experience. That's just dirty, dirty business and they don't deserve to be in business with those kinds of practices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.