Being a Travel Agent

1,342 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieZUUL
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I hesitate to post this, but here we go. I figured I would post here rather than the jobs board since I want people familiar with travel already.

Anyone ever thought about being a travel agent and have extra time on your hands? I am considering/needing to grow my team. You would be a 1099 employee. For the most part you would find your own leads/do your own bookings, but I would pass some leads to you as well. I am about to expand what I do within the travel business, and it would be helpful to have another person or few on my team.

I need a person (people) who will not need a lot of hand-holding. My agency offers tons of online training (free) and in person training (fee). While I will be there to assist with questions and getting you off the ground, I am not able to teach you everything there is to know about this business.

Ideally this person (people) would already be familiar with travel to several or many destinations. Must be good with the research aspect as this is what takes the most time. This is not a full time position (well it is as full as you want it to be). Commissions are not paid by the vendors until after travel, thus when starting out it could be a bit before you actually receive a paycheck. For the most part, once you start booking, you need to be available essentially 24/7 when your clients are traveling (not for quoting). It isn't an 8-5 job where you do not answer your phone after 5PM if there is an emergency. While luckily I have had VERY few emergencies over the past 5 years, there have been a few.

If anyone is interested please contact me so we can chat further. You can inbox me or my email is in my profile.
Dr.Rumack

Wicked Good Ag
I would jump at the chance to do this I love side gigs that can generate revenue streams but being available 24/7 seems like a tough sell for me. Quite a few of my other side gigs have my phone on silent for hours at a time. May shoot you an email anyway
JMac03
AG
You don't always have to be available 24/7 - but for those clients who are traveling - if there is an emergency, then it needs to be addressed. I would say in 5+ years, I've had to do something really early or really late maybe 2-3 times? Essentially its if flights get canceled, etc. 99% of the time I never even hear from my clients during travel unless they are telling me how great it is.

Now I choose to work late/early sometimes, but that is my personal choice. Happy to chat more.
one MEEN Ag
AG
JMac, I'm not your target audience here, but I am interested in hearing more about your business.

Who is your market and how do you make money? Do your clients book with you because of ease, access to extra amenities, inside information?
JMac03
AG
My current target audience is all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean. It is about 90% of what I do. I also do Destination Weddings and groups (DW is about to get much bigger for me - or should). I do a little Disney, little Europe, some cruises. AI's are what I am efficient and proficient in. I would love someone who is good with all the other stuff. I am turning away some leads right now because there are not enough hours in the day (leads is a whole other can of worms - not every lead is a good one).

How am I paid - I am paid commission by the hotels, cruise lines, etc. Air only does not pay commission and I very rarely book it unless I am combining it with hotels/resorts. You are generally paid 2-4 weeks after travel, just depends when the vendor pays.

Vendors pay anywhere from 5%-27% commission on a booking. General rule is somewhere between 10-15%, but that isn't always the case (and you don't get that on air). I then have to pay a cut of that to my host agency. I belong to a host to get better deals, so while I pay a percentage of my profits to them, if I was on my own, I would be getting less % from the vendors because I don't have the volume that a host agency has.

Ideally whomever comes to works with me has a good network of people, or the ability to promote the fact they are an agent. While I will give some leads, they would be expected to bring their own business too (those client would stay theirs)

For cruises - we often have better pricing (not with Carnival) as we have access to groups. They may get onboard credit, cocktail hour, etc. As far as all-inclusive, sometimes we can beat, sometimes just meet. But having the expertise of agents who are familiar with travel, rules, COVID testing and more is a draw.

I can tell you this week alone, just since Monday, I have spent more than 24 hours on hold. That doesn't count my home phone since I can't easily tell. Right now travel is exploding and our vendors have insane hold times. It isn't always like this, but this is the stuff we do for our clients

(the last paragraph probably isn't helping anyone who is possibly interested, ha!)
AggieZUUL
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.