Carmel/Monterey Trip

1,967 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SW AG80
rebel06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Booked a trip for the end of May but considering changing our destination since masks are still required outdoors and indoors and you can be fined if you aren't wearing one. Anyone been out there recently and know how strict they are on enforcing masks outdoors?
chick79
AG
My son lives there. We were there in December for a visit. Place was pretty dead but they have since opened up the restaurants. When we were there you could only eat outdoors. Mask nazis are still there though.
rebel06
AG
Thanks for the info! Might be best for us to travel elsewhere.
chick79
AG
The Pacific Coast Highway near Big Sur is shutdown too because of the mudslides washing out one of the bridges. Personally I would not do anything in California right now unless you go for the national parks only.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'll put in a plug for Reno/Tahoe/Virginia City
chick79
AG
That's a good choice Hollywood!
SW AG80
AG
My daughter lives in San Diego. She told me last night that Cali is opening up beginning June 15. 100% capacity in restaurants but I am sure with masks.
YouBet
AG
Carmel is beautiful and fun but not if that still strict on masks.

That Big Sur area has just been hammered with the mud slides. It was inaccessible when we there 4-5 years ago due to same issue. They were having to helicopter supplies into people.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I live in MRY and we are open. But mask required. I wear it but I don't cover my mouth or nose outdoors. Haven't seen anyone enforcing it.
rebel06
AG
As far as wearing a mask outdoors, is it required 100% of the time or only if you are within 6 ft. of another person not of your household?
E
AG
Is Highway 1 open or still closed?

The GF and I are going to San Fran and Monterey the week before Memorial Day and would like to do the scenic drive down to Santa Barbara for a night, then fly out of LAX
rebel06
AG
Recommendations on places to visit, eat at, etc? Any reservations (apart from lodging and car rental) I should make in advance for certain activities?
murphyag
AG
rebel06 said:

Recommendations on places to visit, eat at, etc? Any reservations (apart from lodging and car rental) I should make in advance for certain activities?

Make a dinner reservation at Mission Ranch. Beautiful place.
txag2008
AG
rebel06 said:

Was there 2 weeks ago. Restaurants were really slow but I'm sure they're picking up with Covid restrictions loosening and Hwy1 from the south opening up (4/30) We had reservations at a few restaurants, but I'm fairly certain they weren't even needed.

Things to do:
--Point Lobos
--Big Sur Drive, McQuay Falls
--17mi drive
  • If you like to golf, at the bare minimum play The Hay (new/renovated par3 course across the street from Pebble Beach.
  • Bagpipes at Spanish Bay before sundown

Eats Drinks:
--La Bicyclette
--Little Napoli
--La Balena
--Mission Ranch
--Nepenthe (eat here on your Big Sur drive)
--If you like beer: Fieldwork Brewing, Alvarado St Brewing

YouBet
AG
Highly recommend La Bicyclette for lunch. That may have been our favorite place we ate.

You know it's legit when Nancy Silverton is sitting at the table next to you.
archangelus2
AG
Point lobos is one of the coolest places i have ever been. The ultimate day hiking destination.
Matsui
AG
Heading there next week can't wait.
SW AG80
AG
Eat Sunday brunch at Mission Ranch. It is the best brunch we have ever had in a beautiful setting. Hope it is still being served with Covid and California.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.