Masks in Airports

4,634 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by plowe32
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm assuming you have to be masked up full time on plane and in the airport?

Are you allowed to wear the neck gaiter type or does it have to be an actual mask?
Hincemm
AG
yes...i don't think they care if it's gaiter but can't recall for sure when it comes to enforcement.
JMac03
AG
Yes on masks. I can't recall on gaiters - I don't recall seeing anyone with them though, but I haven't traveled since November.
The Lost
Gaiters don't count for flights, so you'll be asked to put on a mask then. I doubt anyone would stop you before, but I personally think that makes it a waste of time to switch.
TexasAggie008
AG
SWA and American are fine with gaiters, as are airports.

Have flown American 2-3 times in the last 10 months, and SWA over 10 times. Gaiter every time, 0 issues.
Potcake
AG
I have seen people with vented masks having to change on American flights.
Matsui
AG
Most gate agents have masks they are handing out if the one on a person isn't compliant.
Bunk Moreland
Have flown SW and United many times the last year.

Gaiter type is fine. I generally wear it up until I sit in my seat at the gate then slide it down. Sometimes I walk around the airport with it down. Walked through Bergstrom from the top of the jet bridge at the gate all the way out today without it on.

Nobody has ever said a word to me. Some looks (both types) here and there.

On the plane I generally keep it on unless eating or drinking because I've been narc'd on a few flights the past year by some random person likely walking back from the toilet who wanted to complain. But if I forget to slide it back up after eating or drinking I don't even think twice about it.
Ag CPA
AG
We flew AA over spring break and gaiters were no longer allowed on the plane, they said it several times over the PA but I did not look around to see if they were enforcing it.

Ten minutes before our flight boarded from FLL to DFW some guy on a flight to ORD was literally dragged off the plane at the gate next to ours for not wearing a mask so I am guessing they did enforce after that (the captain mentioned the incident). One of the craziest things I have ever seen; people were gathering around the jet bridge shouting so I assumed it was some celebrity coming off the plane, next thing I see is a couple of security guards carrying some guy kicking and screaming. Florida...
Hincemm
AG
Haha. Buddy literally flew dfw to Miami today and the cops were waiting at the gate for a passenger who refused to wear a mask during the flight. Florida...
Teslag
AG
Ag CPA said:

We flew AA over spring break and gaiters were no longer allowed on the plane, they said it several times over the PA but I did not look around to see if they were enforcing it.

Ten minutes before our flight boarded from FLL to DFW some guy on a flight to ORD was literally dragged off the plane at the gate next to ours for not wearing a mask so I am guessing they did enforce after that (the captain mentioned the incident). One of the craziest things I have ever seen; people were gathering around the jet bridge shouting so I assumed it was some celebrity coming off the plane, next thing I see is a couple of security guards carrying some guy kicking and screaming. Florida...

I'm amazed we live in a country where this is acceptable. WTF are we doing?
OasisMan
AG
flew from FL to DEN (& back) for spring break

on united gaiters were allowed
rononeill
At IAH now and I was, honest to God, LOOKINg for signage requiring masks- and the only sign I saw was at James Avery. We're such sheep. Other than all of us wearing them, there would be no guidance to do so anywhere- unless you were buying trinkets for your daughter.
Bunk Moreland
Well they do run the audio messages through the loudspeakers non stop at every airport so I guess that's the way they do choose to promote it. Agree people are sheep. If that isn't 100% apparent to people before, they should absolutely realize it now.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
i seriously do not get why people are so hung up on wearing a mask. is it fun? no. but it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things i think i've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if they have to wear a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.
Bunk Moreland
schmendeler said:

i seriously do not get why people are so hung up on wearing a mask. is it fun? no. but it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things i think i've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if they have to wear a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.

Not the politics board so I don't want to derail...but then again going to the politics board to discuss will absolutely lead to a derail so it's a catch 22.

I'll say it like this...

I seriously do not get why people are so hung up on others not wearing a mask. Is there any overwhelming science or studies that show it's safer or that the mask wearer is at further risk if a non-masker is in an airport with them? no. but it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things I think i've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if someone isn't wearing a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.
Potcake
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

I wear the mask on the plane but in the airport I don't and have never had anyone say anything to me.

And thus depriving you of the attention you crave.
schmendeler
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

schmendeler said:

Not the politics board so I don't want to derail...but then again going to the politics board to discuss will absolutely lead to a derail so it's a catch 22.

I'll say it like this...

I seriously do not get why people are so hung up on others not wearing a mask. Is there any overwhelming science or studies that show it's safer or that the mask wearer is at further risk if a non-masker is in an airport with them? no. but it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things I think i've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if someone isn't wearing a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.
the evidence is clear and overwhelming that wearing masks reduces transmission.

whining like a baby is solely owned by those who want to ignore that fact.
Hincemm
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I seriously do not get why people are so hung up on others not wearing a mask.
it has nothing to do with politics for me. i like to think i understand the positions of both sides of this debate and think masks is largely political theater. at the end of the day, though, i choose to respect the wishes of businesses if they require me to wear a mask when patronizing them.

so that's the hang up for me.

getting back to the intent of the OP. you can probably get away with no mask in the airport but not on the plane itself.

looking forward to editing this post with a "nvm."
jja79
AG
Did the racist *******s make you show ID?
AustinCountyAg
schmendeler said:

Bunk Moreland said:

schmendeler said:

I'll say it like this...

I think a lot of it comes down to letting people take their own chances if they choose because we live in a supposedly free country where a govt shouldn't have the right to force somewhere to wear an uncomfortable mask on their face if they don't want to for a virus with a 99% survival rate.

Whether the masks work, or don't is irrelevant.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

It's absolutely not clear and overwhelming, but I'm not going to go back and forth on this thread. We said what we said.

Quote:

at the end of the day, though, i choose to respect the wishes of businesses if they require me to wear a mask when patronizing them.

I do too. But many stores are also playing this dumb current social game by not requiring/enforcing, though keeping up outdated signs. So when I go into a store that still has signs up that say "per state and local guidelines/mandates" and there are no state and local guidelines mandating it...if they ask me to wear a mask and they tell me it's the their policy I'm happy to comply if I want to continue patronizing it.
schmendeler
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

schmendeler said:

Bunk Moreland said:

schmendeler said:

I'll say it like this...

I think a lot of it comes down to letting people take their own chances if they choose because we live in a supposedly free country where a govt shouldn't have the right to force somewhere to wear an uncomfortable mask on their face if they don't want to for a virus with a 99% survival rate.

how do you feel about drinking and driving?
AustinCountyAg
schmendeler said:

AustinCountyAg said:

schmendeler said:

Bunk Moreland said:

schmendeler said:

I'll say it like this...

how do you feel about drinking and driving?

I think it is perfectly within reason an adult should be legally allowed to drive and an enjoy a beer at the same time.
schmendeler
AG
i kind of can't believe we are still going over this, but then again, i can.

Effectiveness of Mask Wearing to Control Community Spread of SARS-CoV-2 - Feb 21, 2021
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Bassmaster
AG
schmendeler said:

I seriously do not get why people are so hung up on caring whether others wear a mask. Is it fun? No. But it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things I think I've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if they see others not wearing a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.
schmendeler
AG
Bassmaster said:

schmendeler said:

I seriously do not get why people are so hung up on caring whether others wear a mask. Is it fun? No. But it's one of the most ridiculously petulant things I think I've seen my entire life how some people whine like a baby if they see others not wearing a mask around other people in public during a pandemic.
you'd have a point if it was a simply a styling choice. though, the way anti-maskers act, that seems to be what they believe.
Post removed:
by user
RAB83
AG
I've had 34 flights so far this year. I'm AA Exec Platinum so I've been upgraded 33 of 34 times, which is unusually high. The reason is so many business travelers are still restricted.

Gaters are not allowed. I don't know why. They used to be okay. They announce something about multi-layer masks, but no one has questioned my SEC coach-style mask, which is really a light linen.

Mask enforcement in the air depends on the flight attendant. Some have a laissez faire attitude. Others are excessively strict.

There's no service in coach, but first class generally has food and drinks, depending on the length of the flight. I tend to ask for a Goose Island and nurse it in the can, so it's hard to tell if I'm still drinking it, or not.

Apparently, if you are eating or drinking, the science must suggest that you cannot get the virus. Accordingly, some flyers (c'est moi) take their time eating and drinking and/or bring trail mix or cheerios (from the Admiral's Club) to slowly eat.

Bottom line... it's all a joke. It's all theater and virtue signaling. People who are flying have likely had the virus by now, but may not have had the antibody tests because there is no point. Prove you have had Covid and you still have to wear a mask (I guess, variants and stuff).

You have to comply to fly, but there's a lot of passive resistance in the air.
Old Army Ghost
Cases in Texas are dropping after tha mask mandate lifted
fka ftc
Understanding this varies wildly, my inlaws just came in from Memphis on SWA. Cloth gaiters not sufficient at check in, TSA and at the gate. Neither were the masks with air valve. This was enforced at all 3 check points and you were required to change yours out or add the throwaway temp ones in order to proceed.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Hincemm
AG
fka ftc said:

Understanding this varies wildly, my inlaws just came in from Memphis on SWA. Cloth gaiters not sufficient at check in, TSA and at the gate. Neither were the masks with air valve. This was enforced at all 3 check points and you were required to change yours out or add the throwaway temp ones in order to proceed.
why didn't your in-laws let the airport personnel that masks don't work and their freedom was being infringed upon?
fka ftc
They wanted to see their grandkids and not get arrested and taken to the Shelby County jail.

Believe me, Bill and Sandy didn't wear them hardly at all here. My crazy SIL thought she needed to wear hers inside our house. She was told to cut the ***** We had 10 of us, 7 of whom are fully vaccinated, then a 13yo and 11yo. Finally my other SIL who smokes 3 packs of day and that virus would have to dissolve 40 years of tar to get her sick.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Always_Right
AG
RAB83 said:

I've had 34 flights so far this year. I'm AA Exec Platinum so I've been upgraded 33 of 34 times, which is unusually high. The reason is so many business travelers are still restricted.

Gaters are not allowed. I don't know why. They used to be okay. They announce something about multi-layer masks, but no one has questioned my SEC coach-style mask, which is really a light linen.

Mask enforcement in the air depends on the flight attendant. Some have a laissez faire attitude. Others are excessively strict.

There's no service in coach, but first class generally has food and drinks, depending on the length of the flight. I tend to ask for a Goose Island and nurse it in the can, so it's hard to tell if I'm still drinking it, or not.

Apparently, if you are eating or drinking, the science must suggest that you cannot get the virus. Accordingly, some flyers (c'est moi) take their time eating and drinking and/or bring trail mix or cheerios (from the Admiral's Club) to slowly eat.

Bottom line... it's all a joke. It's all theater and virtue signaling. People who are flying have likely had the virus by now, but may not have had the antibody tests because there is no point. Prove you have had Covid and you still have to wear a mask (I guess, variants and stuff).

You have to comply to fly, but there's a lot of passive resistance in the air.
I can't star this enough.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.