Anyone vacation in Key West?

2,617 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lawless89
Fredd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I want to get away for a few days in country.. usually we would head to somewhere in the Caribbean, but with Covid we want to stay close.

Not because we are scared of the disease, but just worried about everything going on and not wanting to leave the country.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

but just worried about everything going on and not wanting to leave the country.
What does this mean?
Matsui
AG
Lots of people vacation there every day.
dirkjones
AG
Was there 2 weeks ago. Masks are required even when outside walking down the street. Police will make sure you know this.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
They've stopped enforcing it.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article250026879.html
Al Bula
AG
Great place!

World class fishing options. Good dining. Interesting folks. Day drinking. History.

Getting there is a trick sometimes. I think AA runs a nonstop from DFW, which I would be all over if I was in the Metroplex. You can fly to all the big airports in Florida and take a Saab turboprop on Silver Airways to KW but those flights are more often than not delayed due to the tropical weather in southern Florida. Or you can bite the bullet and drive for 3-4 hours through the Keys and stop along the way in Key Largo, Islamorada and Marathon.

The Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson are west of Key West and you can either take a long-ass ferry ride or take a seaplane ($$$) to get there. Worth it to do the seaplane once if you've got the scratch. You're in a de Havilland Otter and you fly low enough to see big sharks and sea turtles. You also fly over a few wrecks.

I think there's even a deal where you can fly out of KW for a day trip to Havana. It sounds really cool but I think it was $1100/person roundtrip last time I looked a few years ago.

The fishing is awesome. The Keys are close to the continental shelf so you don't have to go very far to catch some big sportfish. Also the flats fishing is where its at. Depending on when you go, tarpon fishing is something you have to experience to understand how great it is.

Edit to add: not much beach on KW if you're looking for that. A few of the "resorts" have small, private beach-ish areas, and there are one or two public sandy spots.
Texas Ag Mom
I just got back last night. We stayed in Key Colony (Marathon). We went to KW for the day. You need a mask walking in stores, restaurants, bars, Hemmingway house, etc but not while walking around outside.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I've been. Liked it, but not a place I plan to go back. Don't mean that to dissuade you, I only repeat if I really fall in love with a place, and I didn't really fall in love.

Where it met expectations:
- food
- weather
- walkability
- plenty to do

Where it didn't:
- The drive was not nearly as cool as I always envisioned. I always imagined a loooooooooong bridge where you felt like you were driving over long stretches of open water.... in reality, it felt like crossing the causeway to Galveston or South Padre over and over, and most of the time driving on a barrier island.
- When you first get to the Keys if you drive, it is jarring because it is nothing like a place you would drive hours (or fly) to see. Think big box stores, chain hotels and strip malls. The west side of the island is what you for, but you have to go through ... not that... to get to it.
- No beach

All in all, I'm glad I know what is there. I'd go back if it was with a group or something, but I'm not planning a trip for my wife and I again.
Texas Ag Mom
It has been on our list for years so I am glad we finally went but your observations are spot on for me.
Garrelli 5000
AG
It is one of my favorite "repeat" spots. Nola and KW in no particular order. I guess if cost weren't a factor KW would be first however. Nashville on the list too but we've only been once. Will plan another trip however.

Edit to add: Great food destination. We always rent bikes for the duration of our stay so that we can get around easily (and make your own a/c when it is hot). We typically just meander from place to place with our friends, grab a beer, eat a snack, repeat, spend time in the pool at the home we rent, etc. It is laid back and fun to just cruise around on a bicycle, soaking in the tropical-ish atmosphere with not a care in the world other than which restaurant do I want to eat at for my next meal.
Take the trash out staff.
bdgol07
AG
Arriving on Friday and can report back any particulars if you are looking for something specific.
bdgol07
AG
Reporting back after our trip....

City is fully open. Fairly strict about masks in comparison to Texas IMO. Must wear in stores and in restaurants until seated. "ass up, mask up" was what a few bartenders told us. They're at least keeping it fun.

Recommendations/Observations....
If you want some badass crab (Snow and stone and overall seafood) - Stoned Crab and the best key lime pie we tried
The Key Lime Pie Factory had an amazing key lime pie milkshake
Conch republic was overrated imo
Breakfast Club too had quite possibly the best burger I have had in my life. I got the Roadhouse double and they had a solid bloody Mary as well.
Willie T's is great for live music and food during the day
Garden of Eden is not what is advertised, no bewbs at all. Lol
The bar General Horseplay next to it was a chill hang out
Irish Kenny's was PACKED and your typical Irish bar with everyone singing and shouting the songs along with the live music

I will add more as I think of them
Al Bula
AG
Good to know and hopefully mask nonsense is over in June when we go.

Completely agree that Conch Republic is overrated crap.

Hope the trip was fun. KW is my crack.
malenurse
AG
Florida dropped the mask mandate last October. How are they enforcing this?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Slim Isle
I just want to fly in and see Hemingway's place and fly back out real quick
murphyag
AG
malenurse said:

Lots of towns and counties in Florida have had their own mask mandates the whole time. Before and after DeSantis dropped the state mandate. We own vacation homes in Sanibel and Islamorada. Both have mask mandates. We used to also own a vacation place on the east coast of Florida and they still have mask mandate in effect. Palm Beach and Boca Raton are other towns you might have heard of that kept mask mandates in effect after DeSantis ended the state mandates. There are many more towns in Florida with mask mandates still in effect. That's why I've kind of rolled my eyes when people praise DeSantis for ending Florida mask mandate, most who don't reside in Florida don't realize how many of the individual towns had and kept their own mandates in place. The Florida panhandle, where most Texans vacation, never had the big mask rules. So, most assumed it was like that in Florida statewide.
tmaggies
AG
murphyag said:

malenurse said:

Lots of towns and counties in Florida have had their own mask mandates the whole time. Before and after DeSantis dropped the state mandate. We own vacation homes in Sanibel and Islamorada. Both have mask mandates. We used to also own a vacation place on the east coast of Florida and they still have mask mandate in effect. Palm Beach and Boca Raton are other towns you might have heard of that kept mask mandates in effect after DeSantis ended the state mandates. There are many more towns in Florida with mask mandates still in effect. That's why I've kind of rolled my eyes when people praise DeSantis for ending Florida mask mandate, most who don't reside in Florida don't realize how many of the individual towns had and kept their own mandates in place. The Florida panhandle, where most Texans vacation, never had the big mask rules. So, most assumed it was like that in Florida statewide.

Thanks for the information we will wait when this ends and if not guess we will find other places to go.
Ag CPA
AG
KW has always been on the bucket list but we never wanted to waste the time connecting at MIA or making the drive down US1. Now that there are nonstops from DFW we are seriously considering heading there later this year versus the typical long weekend trip to NOLA or Vegas. It's probably a one-and-done type place for us but those can be some of the best trips; make some memories and walk away.
Garrelli 5000
AG
If NOLA is a regular then you should love KW. It is a cleaner NOLA. Fantastic food, drinks, and laid back atmosphere.
Take the trash out staff.
murphyag
AG
tmaggies said:

murphyag said:

malenurse said:

Thanks for the information we will wait when this ends and if not guess we will find other places to go.

Sure thing! Good luck. Like I said, the panhandle area of Florida is mask free if you'd be interested in going to any of the towns there.
lawless89
murphyag said:

tmaggies said:

murphyag said:

malenurse said:

Sure thing! Good luck. Like I said, the panhandle area of Florida is mask free if you'd be interested in going to any of the towns there.

Was at New Smyrna Beach a couple of weeks ago and everywhere we went was mask free. Headed to Miami and KW next week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.