Big Bend for a Noob

4,730 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Slim Isle
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw about the fire, that nixes two of the easier hikes
AgRyan04
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyza2KfU8AERyXh?format=jpg&name=large
dave99ag
AG
It's going to be awhile for things to grow back once they have the fire contained. I think I read it's been 70 years since a fire has come through in the some the areas burned.

Good news is that Lost Mine and Window trails will be available once they open the Basin back up.
CanyonAg77
AG
AgRyan04 said:

AggieOO
dave99ag said:

It's going to be awhile for things to grow back once they have the fire contained. I think I read it's been 70 years since a fire has come through in the some the areas burned.

Good news is that Lost Mine and Window trails will be available once they open the Basin back up.
the other good news is that the park isn't too far from rainy season. It'll take a long while for the trees to recover, but grasses and such will recover faster up in the high chisos than they do in other areas of the park. Obviously won't be back to 100% any time soon, but there will likely be a lot of growth on the ground by fall.
AggieOO
also, no idea if true, but early reports are that they think this started from an illegal campfire. If they find this is the case, I hope they prosecute the hell out of the idiot responsible.
dave99ag
AG
I really hope the monsoon season brings a lot of rain. It was dry as hell last year!

Crazy to think someone would start a campfire up there. Way, way too dry even in the Basin.
NoahAg
CanyonAg77 said:

AgRyan04 said:

Looks like the site we camped in early December. East Rim 5.
AggieOO
The fire is being called South Rim 4 fire. Supposedly, the fire started at the SR4 campsite.
AgRyan04
I got an email today stating that the Chisos closure was extended from Sunday to Wednesday.

The park's Twitter feed this afternoon said it was at 929 acres and they were at 35% containment.
AgRyan04
Chisos closure is now extended through Sunday the 25th.
EFE
AG
We rescheduled, hopefully they get things put out and some rain and it comes back prettier
maverick12
AG
We are headed out that way next week and I'm not that familiar with the the layout yet. We were planning on doing the Lost Mine Trail and Cattail Falls hikes among others. Do the closures impact either of those hikes?
dave99ag
AG
I don't think the road to the Basin is completely closed, so you should be able to hike Lost Mine. Check their website to confirm that the road is open though.
AgRyan04
I don't know about the road itself, but the Lost Mine Trail and the Window Trail are currently closed....but I read somewhere that they would be the first two that open back up.

They announced it is at 1300 acres and they are at 60% containment.

I've shifted from Chisos to Cottonwood campground for a couple nights....still trying to fill in the rest of my trip.
AggieOO
maverick12 said:

We are headed out that way next week and I'm not that familiar with the the layout yet. We were planning on doing the Lost Mine Trail and Cattail Falls hikes among others. Do the closures impact either of those hikes?
cattail falls doesn't exist.
dave99ag
Slim Isle
Go in December

Cottonwood Campground
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.