Iceland has reopened to vaccinated or antibodies'd Americans

3,072 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiebrad94
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just announced today.

In related news, I'm flying to Reykjavik tomorrow night, will report back.
schmendeler
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Just announced today.

In related news, I'm flying to Reykjavik tomorrow night, will report back.
you booked a flight that quickly?!
bthotugigem05
AG
I actually already had it booked, I was going under the remote work visa scheme they announced in December, but now I'll just be on a regular tourist visa I think.
bthotugigem05
AG
Made it through with my cdc card, no quarantine, couldn't have been easier!
schmendeler
AG
c'mon, rest of europe!
FancyKetchup14
AG
schmendeler said:

c'mon, rest of europe!

https://onemileatatime.com/biden-lift-travel-restrictions/

We'll see. I'm painfully optimistic as I can't imagine they want to last another summer without American tourists.
bthotugigem05
AG
Not a bad first night, although the volcano kinda stole my thunder a bit

HollywoodBQ
AG
Wow! That's more impressive than what I used to see in Alaska.
Thanks for sharing the pic and the info about the trip.

I've watched a few Icelandic TV shows and Movies and would definitely like to go there someday. And of course their 4WD club guys are legendary.
schmendeler
AG
If you go at the right time of year, is it a pretty sure thing to see the lights if you are in a dark enough spot and weather cooperates?
bthotugigem05
AG
Depends on solar activity but I've seen them on every trip so far.
schmendeler
AG
Seeing the northern lights is a bucket list thing for me so was curious how much luck is involved.
lorriedo
AG
I went to Iceland February 2020 right before everything closed down.

You can stalk my Facebook www.Facebook.com/lorriedo I recently reposted my Iceland pics. One of my favorite places.

Lorrie Ortega '11
www.aggiechick.com
210-370-7721
Lorrie.ortega@cruiseplanners.com
Twitter & Instagram @txaggiechick
bthotugigem05
AG
Made it out to the volcano today!

billyjack2009
Tell me about food prices in Iceland. Can you get quick grab and go breakfast/lunch? Would it make sense to get a cooler and get stuff from a grocery if you're doing the ring road in summer?
bthotugigem05
AG
They have Costco stores in Reykjavik, eating out can be eye-wateringly expensive. I grocery shop when I go there for most of my meals, with the exception of a microbrewery in Vik on the southern coast.

(A beer, burger, and fries at that microbrewery run about $38, for perspective)
62strat
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

They have Costco stores in Reykjavik, eating out can be eye-wateringly expensive. I grocery shop when I go there for most of my meals, with the exception of a microbrewery in Vik on the southern coast.

(A beer, burger, and fries at that microbrewery run about $38, for perspective)
after tip?
That's not bad really. I mean a higher end beer place in my little Denver burb town is $18 burger and $7 beers. $30 after tip.
Not that there isn't a cheaper option nearby though.
bthotugigem05
AG
They don't really tip in Iceland. Maybe 5-10% if anything.
Counterpoint
AG
Yeah, no tipping there. But I have a tip: try the fermented shark!
Al Bula
AG
Returning to normalcy is always great news.
YouBet
AG
schmendeler said:

Seeing the northern lights is a bucket list thing for me so was curious how much luck is involved.
More of a winter thing. We went at peak summer time in August and you most likely won't see them then. We did not.

That pic above is spectacular.

I can't recommend Iceland enough. It's badass.
schmendeler
AG
i assumed it was seasonal? but maybe that far north, it's always kind winter, lol.
bthotugigem05
AG
Northern Lights season is October-March, in Iceland it can stretch into September and April but definitely not in the summer months because the light lasts so long into the nighttime hours
YouBet
AG
schmendeler said:

i assumed it was seasonal? but maybe that far north, it's always kind winter, lol.
It is.

Summer is raging hot there. Peak summer in mid-August gets highs in the low '50s.
rebelag62
AG
Thinking of going in June, spending about a week. Top things to do? Obviously have to go to the volcano, dive the continental divide, and checkout the lagoon. What else? Worth renting a car and driving around the island?
bthotugigem05
AG
The entire island is a lot to do in a week. I'm working on a generic 4-5 day itinerary for people, but definitely rent a car, driving there is easy, if not slow.
Counterpoint
AG
rebelag62 said:

Thinking of going in June, spending about a week. Top things to do? Obviously have to go to the volcano, dive the continental divide, and checkout the lagoon. What else? Worth renting a car and driving around the island?

As long as you're okay with roundabouts, driving in iceland is very easy. But I wouldn't drive the ENTIRE country if you're there around a week because you'll be rushing too much.
YouBet
AG
rebelag62 said:

You pretty much have to if you want to see any of it. The whole island in a week is too much. You will be in the car 6 hrs a day.

We focused on Reykjavik area and over to Vik. Stay part of your trip in Reykjavik and part of it VRBO somewhere in the south or East.

I highly recommend doing one of the all day super jeep tours. It will take you off-road and see geography you otherwise wouldn't see or know about. Basically a dude picks you up in a souped up 4x4 (Ours was a full size van with like 6 ft tires on it - so badass) and drives you into the interior of Iceland. Few roads go there.
rebelag62
AG
Ya, I made that mistake in Ireland.
rebelag62
AG
That sounds awesome, I'll definitely look into that
AggieZUUL
AG
We globe warmers have $.
bthotugigem05
AG
Posted a 5-day sample itinerary for a first-time visit to Iceland on the blog today, hopefully it helps some of you thinking of going: https://andystravelblog.com/2021/05/04/iceland-guide/
Carlo4
AG
Bumping this. Wife and I never had a chance to go on our honeymoon due to COVID last year. We were going to do a Mediterranean trip, but have adjusted to now planning a trip to Iceland/Greenland during this summer. The link directly above me was a great read!

aggiebrad94
AG
I don't get many chances to tell this story....one of my friends at church is from Iceland. I walked in one Sunday morning and this was the conversation:

ME: Hey, I watching curling last night - isn't that y'all's national sport?

HIM: Nah. Dwarf tossing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.