Going to Costa Rica this week

4,611 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGBU94
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just bought my $26 health insurance policy that their government now requires in case I test positive for Covid before my return flight and have to stay there longer. We are set up to test on Sunday (return flight is Tuesday).

Flying into Liberia Friday and staying in Playa Flamingo.

Potcake
AG
We stayed at that same place in February 2019. Some friends of ours had high bid at a benefit auction. It's a nice place and the area was really nice.
PJYoung
AG
Potcake said:

We stayed at that same place in February 2019. Some friends of ours had high bid at a benefit auction. It's a nice place and the area was really nice.

We have been to flamingo once before a few years ago and stayed in a house on that hill that's pictured. Stunning place. I love that beach and general area.

This villa was listed for 2650 on airbnb but we booked it for 2k last week direct with the owner. Looking forward to it but the test to come back is a little added stress. We've been vaccinated for months but I will still be careful as getting stuck there for a few days or weeks wouldn't be ideal.
AGBU94
AG
Just arrived back in Texas from Quepos and Matapalo. Not a bad trip. Have fun. I cannot wait to go back.
PJYoung
AG
This was our sunset the last night there.

We have already booked a return trip for June.

muleshoe
Counterpoint
AG
Is there a big Texags Costa Rica thread? It's our first vacation since quarantine, and I'm trying to plan a trip to either there or Turks & Caicos.
JMac03
AG
I think there are some past threads, but nothing with a ton of info that I recall. And as far as vacations I don't think you could get more different lol. CR has beaches, but it isn't your pretty white sand and blue water. I totally would choose CR. I went a few years ago and cannot wait to go back. I actually went to the Texas A&M Soltis Center for a few nights, then spent the day sightseeing and stayed a night in La Fortuna. While CR has beaches, that isn't really the reason you go. You go for the landscape/rainforest, the wildlife, all the outdoor activities, etc.
Counterpoint
AG
JMac03 said:

I think there are some past threads, but nothing with a ton of info that I recall. And as far as vacations I don't think you could get more different lol. CR has beaches, but it isn't your pretty white sand and blue water. I totally would choose CR. I went a few years ago and cannot wait to go back. I actually went to the Texas A&M Soltis Center for a few nights, then spent the day sightseeing and stayed a night in La Fortuna. While CR has beaches, that isn't really the reason you go. You go for the landscape/rainforest, the wildlife, all the outdoor activities, etc.
Thanks JMac!
12thAngryMan
AG
Sorry to bump an old post, but where did you find a $26 policy? All the ones I'm seeing are $100+ per person.

And while I'm bumping, any thoughts on flying into San Jose or Liberia? We're looking for a mix of relaxing beach time and outdoorsy stuff. I assume that is possible in either area, but didn't know if one was better than the other.
breezecustomtravel
AG
The Costa Rica tourism board website has the insurance plan options for the coverage you need to enter the country and they have been around $20-$50 depending on details of your trip.

Majority of my clients fly into Liberia for easier beach access but still inland enough for hiking and jungle activities.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
JMac03
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Sorry to bump an old post, but where did you find a $26 policy? All the ones I'm seeing are $100+ per person.

And while I'm bumping, any thoughts on flying into San Jose or Liberia? We're looking for a mix of relaxing beach time and outdoorsy stuff. I assume that is possible in either area, but didn't know if one was better than the other.
So I wonder if they increased in price. I am see between $11-$12 per day, per person.

I was able to book my clients insurance for $140 with Travel Insured, which saved them about $90-$100 as they are going for 10 days, so they were lookin at $110-$120 per person direct. For Travel Insured you have to purchase the Trip Protector (not lite) and do the bed rest add on to get the coverage required for Costa Rica.
agdaddy04
AG
We went to Los Altos de Eros for our honeymoon in 2011 and were hoping to go back for our ten year. Have decided to put that off for now. Absolutely love CR though.
AGBU94
AG
We used Trawick International for our Insurance. It seemed reasonable enough that I did not do any comparison shopping. We will use them again in October unless something changes. From what I am seeing, the Easter Week has caused quite the uptick in Covid numbers.

Love the country and would choose to travel there over just about any place.
....Rememberin' the fallin' down and the laughter and the curse of luck from all those sonsabitches that said we'd never get back up!! (REK)
Enviroag02
AG
We love the La Fortuna area of Costa Rica. There is white water rafting, the Venado caves, hanging bridges, geothermal spas, ATV, horseback, zip lining, and great food! We've been to Guanacaste on a separate trip but had much more fun inland.
Josepi
AG
Just wanted to bump this thread as our family is planning a trip to CR this August.

Other than the additional insurance and the covid test upon leaving, is there anything else we should be aware of? No shortage of rental cars of anything like that? We were thinking of flying into San Jose, driving up to the Fortuna/Arenal area for a bit and then hitting the west coast and flying out of Liberia.

I just want to make sure that there wont be some hidden road blocks that will make this more difficult than normal.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations, we are open to ideas.
SlimM
AG
Josepi said:

Just wanted to bump this thread as our family is planning a trip to CR this August.

Other than the additional insurance and the covid test upon leaving, is there anything else we should be aware of? No shortage of rental cars of anything like that? We were thinking of flying into San Jose, driving up to the Fortuna/Arenal area for a bit and then hitting the west coast and flying out of Liberia.

I just want to make sure that there wont be some hidden road blocks that will make this more difficult than normal.

We are here right now and it is amazing. I flew into San Jose and got transportation to La Fortuna and then Monteverde. Will have the same transport to Manuel Antonio later this week. So I don't know anything about rental cars, but I can answer anything else!

If anyone from the politics board saw the Covid rules they have here they would freak out though!
Leander - Ag
AG
We are scheduled to leave for CR in 10 days (thru Liberia) Looks like they are having a COVID spike.

Are things still open for the most part? Don't want to get there and have restaurants, excursions, etc, shutdown.
SlimM
AG
SlimM
AG
Leander - Ag said:

We are scheduled to leave for CR in 10 days (thru Liberia) Looks like they are having a COVID spike.

Are things still open for the most part? Don't want to get there and have restaurants, excursions, etc, shutdown.
I flew into SJO, so it might be different in this part of the country. Nothing is closed here, but the precautions they make you take are...let's just say they're much, MUCH stricter than in the states!
AGBU94
AG
Josepi said:

Watch the Covid numbers carefully. So far, the insurance with questionnaire and pre-return covid test are the main features. Apparently, both airports are now doing walk in testing at the airport, which makes the test easier due to the amount of driving and locations. I do not think that they will add a vaccine requirement, but due to the current spike, you just never know.

For the rental car, use a reputable agency. I hear of people being charged an additional amount for insurance that is different than advertised. I used Avis and did not have any issues beyond the additional $2000.00 that is charged to your card during your stay. I knew about that amount and was prepared for it.

Download Waze.

Bring sunscreen and bug spray and ponchos.

Have a great time. Counting the days to Puerto Viejo in October.

....Rememberin' the fallin' down and the laughter and the curse of luck from all those sonsabitches that said we'd never get back up!! (REK)
Josepi
AG
Thanks! Miuch appreciated
aggeeme
I was able to get full coverage insurance for $45 pp
Josepi
AG
aggeeme said:

I was able to get full coverage insurance for $45 pp
Where did you get it?

I looked at Sagicor and BCBS from the official Costa Rica website, and they both quoted $10-$11 per person/per day.

I also looked at Trawick, and they were about $5.50 per person/per day.

Any reason not to use them?
SoTheySay
S
We are about to head to Costa Rica as well!

Any recommendations for golf and spa day? We are staying just north of Playa Flamingo.
aggivedave16
Been to that exact place in Flamingo as well. Actually thought about buying one of the townhomes there. Super nice.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Flying into Liberia airport on Monday and staying at Secrets Papagayo. Do I need to pre-book a taxi from the airport to the resort or am I good just grabbing a taxi from the airport? It's about a 20km trip. If I should pre-book, any recommendations?
AGBU94
AG
Never flown into Liberia, so I cannot advise you there. I am flying in on Sunday though. I will try to give some feedback after arrival (if I remember.)

Have a great trip. I am exploring Tamarindo, Samara and Rincon de la vieja this time.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Have a great trip, as well. I think I may try to get an Uber, looks like it is way cheaper ($15 v. $50).
90 bull
AG
I just booked a flight to Liberia in mid September for 10 days. Never researched CR before, so any suggestions? We would prefer drinking on a beach and not getting a rental car.
90 bull
AG
Let me know your thoughts on Tamarindo. We are looking to go there in September
Potcake
AG
We (4 total) stayed where the OP did on Playa Flamingo and rented a car near the Liberia airport. We all drove to Tamarindo one day, had lunch and walked the beach a little. Our friends wanted to go to Lola's on Playa Avellanas but they were closed and we just watched some surfers for a bit. Wife and I went back to Tamarindo by ourselves a couple of days later and spent several hours, including lunch at a really good burger place. Tamarindo reminds me of Playa del Carmen when we honeymooned in '98. No longer sleepy but not baby Cancun either. It's way busier than Flamingo.
AGBU94
AG
90 bull said:

Let me know your thoughts on Tamarindo. We are looking to go there in September
During the time that I was there, it rained only once. September is pretty deep into the rainy season so sitting on the beach and drinking beer may be limited. However, Tamarindo is a great place to do this. It is not a quiet and laid back beach town and there are many restaurants/bars in the area for your enjoyment. The proximity to Liberia would also make it possible to get there without a rental car.

Depending on the length of your trip you may decide to rent a vehicle for an excursion outside of the town. Tamarindo does offer rental car locations if you are looking to make a day trip outside of the town. I visited Playa Hermosa and Playa Coco in the area, and they are both more laid back thank Tamarindo. All in all, travelling in and out of Liberia was much easier than San Jose and I would recommend it whenever possible. The area is beautiful though not as lush as the Puntarenas Province.

Download Waze if you choose to drive
Bring sunscreen and repellant from home
Bring a poncho (for that time of year)
And have a great time.

Our next trip takes us to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side in October. Cannot wait to go back.
90 bull
AG
Thanks for the info. We are looking at where to stay, and are thinking an Airbnb or a condo and just relax. It seems that Tamarindo has enough infrastructure to stay off resort without a car. Does the Liberia airport have a place to get a sim? I have see different answers on that
AGBU94
AG
90 bull said:

Thanks for the info. We are looking at where to stay, and are thinking an Airbnb or a condo and just relax. It seems that Tamarindo has enough infrastructure to stay off resort without a car. Does the Liberia airport have a place to get a sim? I have see different answers on that
No they do not. There is a Kolbi location fifteen minutes away from what I have seen, but without a car, that may not be feasible .

When I have travelled there I have just used my T mobile international plan. That allows free messaging and data, so I communicate with back home via text. I also use Whatsapp for communicating locally. Most ticos use whatsapp throughout Costa Rica and your host probably will as well. In my three trips I have never felt like it was necessary to get a sim card; however, I do intend to do this on my next trip flying in to San Jose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.