Estes Park, CO - Rocky Mountain National Park

3,378 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mike073
regurkmatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The family and I will be in Denver in a couple of weekends, and we're going to spend a few days in Estes Park / Rocky Mountain National Park afterwards. I went as a teenager and have always wanted to take my own family, but it's occurred to me that the area may have changed over the past 25 years.

Outside of driving around the park, hiking, and sight-seeing, any must-dos while in town with an 8 and 12 year old?

Thanks and Gig'em!
Earl Haffler
I went in September, plenty for kids to do. I recommend checking how ticketing to get into the parks is currently being handled. I had to get reservations beforehand to get in as they were limiting capacity.
EMY92
AG
I think they dropped the reservation, but if not and you enter the park before 6 am, there is no one checking. Antonio's Pizza was pretty good.
AgRyan04
They have dropped the reserved entry....I don't know if they'll bringing back for peak season or not though.

For non-RMNP stuff with the kids....

We usually do a half day-ish at Fun City - they have go carts, a big rainbow slide, putt-putt, etc.

Walking down Elkhorn Ave with all the taffy shops and ice cream shops and little stores is always on the list.

Estes Park Mountian Shop has an indoor rockwall....the "guides" have always been awesome with our kids

Trout Haven has a stocked pond the kids can fish at and can basically be guaranteed a catch.

We love it up there
AgRyan04
Oh, and with kids that age do the Junior Ranger program in the park. RMNP has one of the best programs of all the national parks we've been to (40+). Hooefully, COVID doesnt screw that up
jpb1999
AG
Wouldn't it be too snowy/cold right now for many non-skiing outdoor activities?

Spane Bohem

MCMXCVII
AG
The Fun City stuff referenced above will still be closed for the season but most restaurants and shops are open. There should be enough snow at the Bear Lake tubing hill for sledding in the park. No reservations required just an entrance fee. Agree with the rock climbing at Estes Park Mountain Shop. Snowmobiling tours are perfect for your kids' ages if you are into that. Good time to go to see snow. My second home. Have fun!

jakeaggie84
AG
Loved it there when we went last summer.

The Stanley hotel (dumb and dumber/shining hotel) was cool. But rocky mtn national park was the highlight. I would spend more time there if I could. We found some light waterfall hikes for the family.
TailG8TR
AG
If your timing is to be up here the 10th through the 20th - then be advised a pretty substantial snow period will be in Colorado. Just a heads up.

Possible Snowfall Amounts Map
mike073
AG
Matt - Good suggestions above. We have a place there and go several times each year including week after next.

If your kids are like my grand kids they love to watch the animals. If that is one of your priorities, keep in mind the best times are dawn and dusk. Get up early and drive the loop between the two park entrances and drive into Moraine park. Go back home for breakfast. Same for dinner - drive through at dusk. Take along a pair of binoculars.

Alluvial fan, Sprague Lake, Bear Lake will all need you to be in the parking lots somewhat early - you can ask the ranger as you go in, but typically during spring break weekends, the lots fill quickly.

If snow is prevalent and you need some crampons, the Mountain shop is the place to go. If you need any winter clothes, they have tons in their outlet area, cheap.

Timed entry begins June 4 this year.
Gig 'em Aggies!

TailG8TR
AG
Estes Park may get a couple feet of snow this weekend.

Check the forecast snow amount maps in my post above.

Just be advised.
maxag42
We have a reservation in Estes Park for spring break next week, 14th to 19th. We were planning on driving up this Friday from Austin. Now is it not doable?
rononeill
From what I'm hearing, seems like you'd be better planning for a Monday arrival. The CO folks I've spoken to and read on this board are sounding pretty frantic. That said, if you're driving, hold your plan but maybe book a place south of Denver for Sunday night in case it's too dicey to arrive at EP Sunday.
JustPanda
AG
I'd postpone till Monday. Saturday / Sunday are going to be a **** show across the state. Obviously, things can change but right now it doesn't look stellar.

The storm track shows the front range catching record snowfall - 36+ inches - if that happens, it may be a couple days before you get through.

We're used to it and plan accordingly w food blankets water, etc. Most OOS visitors don't have that kind of vehicle setup.
TailG8TR
AG
This storm will begin in earnest on Friday night and will dump all day Sat and into Sunday.

The largest amounts will center around the foothills and front range.

Forecasts can change, but multiple FEET are being predicted around Estes.

Travel in these areas over the weekend will be difficult.

Monitor the CDOT site and make your best guess/decision based upon your experience with travel in these kinds of conditions.

Good Luck. Have fun.

CDOT
JustPanda
AG
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/cdot-winter-storm-likely-to-force-weekend-closure-of-interstates/
regurkmatt
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. We changed our plans and are now at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO. Stay safe to all you Colorado Aggies!
maxag42
Thanks for the replies. We've decided to delay the trip til later in the week.
mike073
AG
Arrived in Estes Park the morning of March 18 and found all the roads open with the show pushed to the side. With a high of 55 each day, by Sunday morning probably half the snow was gone but the place looked beautiful. The snow and bright blue skies were spectacular.

With crampons we hiked Bear Lake, Nymph Lake, Lily Lake, Alluvial fan and Sprague Lake. The park was not too crowded, but the town was packed with day traffic.

Sprague:

Bear Lake:

Nymph Lake:

Longs Peak et all:

Hungry ladies:

Gig 'em Aggies!

Aggie Hunter
AG
I'm going in two weeks for my first trip. Looking forward to it.
mike073
AG
Beginning May 28, reservations required. They are going to allow 80% in daily vs 60% this past year.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Aggie Hunter
AG
I'm going next week so is a reservation not required?
Matsui
Pro Sandy
AG
Correct. Program doesn't start until May 28th.
mike073
AG
Hunter - do the drive through the park at sunrise and dusk for the best chance to see wildlife.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Aggie Hunter
AG
Awesome I will do that. Anything else you recommend? We hired a chef to come to the house one night and eating at The Stanley one of the other nights. Open for any suggestions you have.
mike073
AG
We think these are the best places. None are gourmet, but all are good:

Claires - elk meatloaf
Dunraven Inn - down on the lake
Twin Owls Steakhouse - great view from dining room
Rock Inn - devils on horseback appetizer
Cinnamons - open limited hours but go when they open. The rolls are fresh and come with single, double or triple frosting

Inside the basement of the Stanley is the Colorado Cherry Pie Company store or you can stop at the ones on 34 or 36 heading to Estes.

Actually we prefer coming into Estes via HWY 34 - the canyon is spectacular.

You can go to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store and get the "bear pack". You can look that one up on you tube to see what the bear did there.

May need crampons for some of the hikes. You can rent them at the Mountain Shop.

Gig 'em Aggies!

AgRyan04
Our two favorite places to eat are Hunter's Chop House (the elk carpaccio is awesome) and The Rock Inn Mountain Tavern.
ladyfriend
Definitely recommend Cinnamons, so delicious. We also like Antonio's Pizza. They have a super simple online ordering and pick up.
tmtxco
AG
We live half the year in Aggieland and the other half in Estes Park. Lots of good recommendations already but I'll add one more. The Glen Haven General Store has the best cinnamon rolls in the area but they don't open until mid May.
archangelus2
AG
Do you need a timed entry to get into the park this summer if you are camping at one of the park campgrounds?

We currently have reservations for hermit park but i might try to switch to one of the national park campgrounds if that gets us out of the hassle of getting a timed entry.
mike073
AG
Recreation.gov says the campground reservation fulfills the timed entry requirement.

Camping Reservation Holders

Visitors with campground reservations may use those reservations for entry tickets. Visitors must book these camping reservations in advance (there will be no same day sales at the park's campgrounds). You may enter the park on the first day of your camping reservation and must present your camping reservation confirmation. The entrance station staff will also collect applicable entrance fees. Your camping reservation serves as your timed entry reservation through your last day of camping. After that, you need to make a $2.00 reservation prior to entering.

For timed entry folks, there are two possibilities - the Bear Creek area plus the whole park or the rest of the park but not the Bear Creak area.
Gig 'em Aggies!

COSCAG67
AG
We have a trip planned (with 2 little ones) starting next wed. Just curious if this is recommended with the lows being 20s and highs being 40-50s. The forecast is rain, snow, and partly cloudy for the week we will be there.

We were considering calling an audible and going to Asheville instead.

mike073
AG
67 - You are going to be walking around in some bad weather for young kids, but hiking with crampons is pretty easy to do. My 9 and 6 year old grand kids did just fine in their ski clothes and spikes. You will have to decide what is best for your group.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.