Tell me about Prague?

3,091 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CoolaidWade
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Worth it?
cruzdoggie
AG
Prague is pretty cool. I don't know that a trip from the states to Prague alone for a week would be worth it, but 3-4 days combined with another stop would be my recommendation.

Pros-
Very scenic setting. The combination of the river, bridge, and the castle on the hill is great.
Good food, relatively inexpensive
Great beer scene.
The old town square is nice

Cons-
Very crowded. Both times went in the summer and was extremely crowded. Maybe won't be so bad if the world is still not fully open.
ChoppinDs40
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

Worth it?
cheap as hell - delicious beer. TONS of history to that city. Azns have made it super crowded around the Charles Bridge and Town Square.

You're aways from some other big euro cities so will need to get on a plane to see some other big cities.

With that, we took a $45 train from Prague to Munich when we did a Christmas Euro trip. Not too bad, but definitely not a nice swiss/german train. Took about 4.5 hours IIRC.
magscientist14
AG
It's a beautiful place and pretty cheap. Do it!
Also go on a beer tour- you'll meet some great people and, of course, have some tasty beer
Here4Beer
AG
Definitely worth it. The beer, history, food and low cost make it one of the best cities in Europe. Now like any city, you can spend money on tourist traps so be careful. Spent 3 days there as part of my honeymoon and felt that was sufficient to scrape the best of the surface but will definitely go back for a more slow pace trip. Hope that helps.
AggieZUUL
AG
Yes, worth it. The architecture and vibe won me over enough to list it in my top 3 European cities.
I went in off-season (Feb) and experienced few crowds. As people above said, you'll discover great meats, cheeses and beer there. Great Museum of Communism for people who appreciate history. We took a river cruise down the Vltava. If you go, you must try a restaurant called "Peklo", which is an old underground former (centuries old) beer cellar turned restaurant. It's next to a monastery and within view of the American embassy. Walking around the old city Square is quite amazing. The old Jewish cemetery is a sight for sure. Look it up. You won't go wrong in Prague.
TXCityAggie
AG
I spent four days there a few years ago and was satisfied with that. We paired it with Budapest, which I enjoyed a little more than Prague. Definitely worth it.
OilManAg91
AG
Agree with all the above comments about how great Prague is...especially at Christmas it is spectacular. The history in the city is pretty incredible. So is the food and beer! A great local hotel suggestion is Hotel Jewel ( hoteljewelprague.com ) a very short walk from the square.
smucket
AG
I thought it was ok. Would love to go at Christmas. Pretty touristy...the first place we ate was Hooters because we were tired of Czech food. If you have time, Cesky Krumlov is about an hour south near the Austrian border and it is one of the coolest towns I have ever visited. Like it far more than Prague.
TXCityAggie
AG
If you end up going, don't miss the Torture Museum at the edge of the Charles Bridge...at least I think it was the Charles Bridge.
ChoppinDs40
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Agree with all the above comments about how great Prague is...especially at Christmas it is spectacular. The history in the city is pretty incredible. So is the food and beer! A great local hotel suggestion is Hotel Jewel ( hoteljewelprague.com ) a very short walk from the square.
we were there for Christmas in 2018. It was awesome. We went to a Christmas concert (string quintet with a singer and piano) in the Mirror chapel on Christmas eve.

Drank SO much gluhwein for $2 a cup.

We stayed at a cool little hotel on Kampa island (50 yard walk to the Karluv most) - called Archibald At the Charles Bridge. For how close it was to everything, it was incredibly quiet.
tamuagk
AG
Was there for the Christmas market in 2019. It was ridiculously crowded and the food vendors seemed like they had been contracted out to a corporate outfit. Perhaps we compared it to Dresden, which we had visited the previous year and just came away disappointed with the Prague Christmas market. The city is beautiful and has some amazing history, but there is huge portion of the downtown area dedicated to the British broseff stag party crowd.
Greener Acres
Liked Prague a lot but we stayed on the castle side of the river. We actually moved from the old town area because of the crowds. It was very nice and pleasant, plus close to everything without walking into a tour group everytime we left the hotel. Also, this was in January when it shouldn't be crowded. Can't imagine the city when the weather is nice.
ChoppinDs40
AG
tamuagk said:

Was there for the Christmas market in 2019. It was ridiculously crowded and the food vendors seemed like they had been contracted out to a corporate outfit. Perhaps we compared it to Dresden, which we had visited the previous year and just came away disappointed with the Prague Christmas market. The city is beautiful and has some amazing history, but there is huge portion of the downtown area dedicated to the British broseff stag party crowd.

Well, nothing is like Germany's Christmas markets.

I liked theirs far more. Only problem is most of them close on Christmas Eve.
ORAggieFan
Prague is great. Krakow is even better.
Lucky Jack Aubrey
AG
Love Prague. We stayed the old town in VRBO. It's great to pair with a trip to Munich as well. Check out Honest Guide on YouTube. Local guy with lots of tips and suggestions for travelers
schmendeler
AG
We paired Prague and Budapest and thought that was a great trip.
Yordaddy
AG
Did Prague for spring break 2 years ago at this time. Awesome time, I wouldn't spend more than 4 days there though. Very inexpensive, great beer, fun nightlife, beautiful buildings and cool history. Paired Prague with Berlin since I had already done Munich. If choosing between the two I would choose Munich 10/10 times if looking for another city to pair it with.
Matsui
AG
If you paired Prague and Budapest with Vienna, how many total days would you spend in each?
FancyKetchup14
AG
3 in each, realistically. Vienna maybe 2 unless you're tying to go to a ballet or something.

Budapest is sick. Definitely spend some time there.
schmendeler
AG
Matsui said:

If you paired Prague and Budapest with Vienna, how many total days would you spend in each?

I would say 3 nights in Prague, and 5 in Budapest would be sufficient.

When we went, though, we i think we did 5-6 in Prague and 9 in Budapest.

It was definitely too much time in Prague. Probably more than we needed in Budapest, but we really enjoyed that city. It feels big and grand. Stately, with lots of good food, but also affordable. Would go back.

Our personal preference is to take a moderate pace when sightseeing, so if you are a "speed runner" you will need less time.
Matsui
AG
So 4 Prague 2 Vienna 5 Budapest? Something like that ratio?
Matsui
AG
What are some must do things in each of those 3 cities. Prefer local spots bar's restaurants and sites. Definitely don't want to be rushed
FancyKetchup14
AG
Matsui said:

So 4 Prague 2 Vienna 5 Budapest? Something like that ratio?

Depends on how fast your travel. My significant other and I did 3 in Prague, 2 in Vienna, and 3 in Budapest. You could do 4 in Budapest for sure because you can spend an entire afternoon at one of the thermal baths.
TX AG 88
AG
Loved Prague!!!

For what it's worth, our tour guide advised to be very wary of pickpockets in touristy spots. Never encountered any, but thought I'd pass it on.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Probably not a point of interest y'all are looking for, but I've read that Prague is allegedly the gay sex capital of the world. They have more gay sex workers per capita than any other city. (I have no idea how the article's author researched those statistics)
schmendeler
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Probably not a point of interest y'all are looking for, but I've read that Prague is allegedly the gay sex capital of the world. They have more gay sex workers per capita than any other city. (I have no idea how the article's author researched those statistics)

Had an excellent pork knuckle in Prague. Unrelated, I'm sure.
Matsui
AG
Haha. Thanks for the bit of info. I'm definitely not interested in gay sex on my travel to Prague.
CoolaidWade
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Prague is great. Krakow is even better.
I love Krackow but don't think it's better then Prague overall. I always said do Prague first before you visit Krakow.

Better food in Krakow however.
CoolaidWade
AG
Matsui said:

Prague 3 Budapest 3 Vienna 1.

I would prefer to live in Vienna however.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.