Colorado skiing, dining, access sitrep?

1,460 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JustPanda
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of taking a mid to late Feb trip to Colorado for skiing with family...first time for 9 and 7 year old

What's it like right now? Crowded, reservations required keep it from being crowded? Reservations hard to get?

Anybody ever been to Granby Ranch? I've heard good things for first time skiers. Thinking either Granby or Breckenridge (we have friends going to Breck towards the back half of our week.

Thanks
JustPanda
AG
Not enough snow this season for low elevation low tech snow makes like GR- I'd stay at Keystone, Breck, Vail, BC, Steamboat etc.

We need snow bad bad bad.

COVID levels are all over the board. Red seems yo he where most are moving which restricts in person dining and on mountain.

If you're coming - I'd stay in a house in the mountain and either cook in or take out.

Reservations for the mountain are easy - you need yo buy lift tickets in advance.
2wealfth Man
AG
Just got back from Breck. As said above, the snow situation is meh (Peak 6 and Imperial Bowl still not open). I think everything else really depends on your personal comfort level with people, lift lines, etc. during COVID. We pretty much stayed at our house this go round and did not visit many of the places and restaurants we normally go. My opinion is a ski in ski out property would be highly preferred during this time as it gives you options to come and go off the mountain as you see fit, eat lunch at home, etc. I did overhear some folks in a lift line talking about feeling uncomfortable about riding on a fairly crowded shuttle bus which would give me pause as well.
cadetjay02
AG
Not where you're looking, but I went to Crested Butte between Christmas and New Years and there was plenty of snow and was in good shape. I'm planning on Keystone and Breck for spring break. Hopefully conditions have improved and hold on long enough for that trip.
2wealfth Man
AG
Here is a link to the best snow forecasting I have found

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado
JustPanda
AG
OpenSnow is what most locals use. This season they haven't been the most accurate, but that's life.

We keep having a decent extended forecast but nothing seems to materialize. Keep praying to the snow gods. Usually end of January/Feb is when we get dumped on.

Light snow this morning (already lightly falling) and snow expected tomorrow night into Monday and then next weekend. Doesn't look like anything crazy, but it's well needed. We need 18+ inches or more in a storm or a couple rollers to really get a good base back.
Barnyard96
AG
I went to Steamboat and Winter Park the week before Christmas. Steamboat is worth the extra 2 hour drive (or airfare) to avoid the Denver crowds. Downtown Steamboat was business as usual with shops open and 25% capacity dining.

Lift Lines are a tad longer at the bases because of social distancing, but its not that big of a deal. They just aren't loading up the chairs with people like they normally do.

Wherever you go, make sure you have reservations for everything (lift tickets, ski rentals, lodging).

Finally, the most important thing is a face covering that you like (balaclava, neck gaiter, etc) Have to have them on in lift lines and the base. My son had a loose fitting one and he fought it all day. Other than this, you won't really know there is a pandemic going on.
Post removed:
by user
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah, I am sticking with Utah this season. I am not commuting to Denver for work like I used too now, so have no reason or convenience for Colorado skiing this season and Utah has been fine and a lot more open. Just need snow!! I will probably burn up all my Ikon pass days at the Utah resorts this season.
country
AG
Idaho is another great option this year. Much more open.
Drip99
AG
Doing wolf creek for spring break. Most snow in Colorado. 165" with another 15 expected in the next few days.
JustPanda
AG
165 inches is the total snowfall, not the total base. It's not about what falls, it's about what sticks.

Granted, Wolf Creek is great. It's just not very convenient.
Drip99
AG
JustPanda said:

165 inches is the total snowfall, not the total base. It's not about what falls, it's about what sticks.

Granted, Wolf Creek is great. It's just not very convenient.

That's what makes it great. 13 hours from Austin and less crowded than the front range
Phat32
AG
Headed to Vail end of February.

Very excited regardless of snow levels. Went in the summer and it was a fantastic time.
Barnyard96
AG
Winter Park has great snow. Just don't go on the weekends.
The Silverback
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Just got back from Breck. As said above, the snow situation is meh (Peak 6 and Imperial Bowl still not open). I think everything else really depends on your personal comfort level with people, lift lines, etc. during COVID. We pretty much stayed at our house this go round and did not visit many of the places and restaurants we normally go. My opinion is a ski in ski out property would be highly preferred during this time as it gives you options to come and go off the mountain as you see fit, eat lunch at home, etc. I did overhear some folks in a lift line talking about feeling uncomfortable about riding on a fairly crowded shuttle bus which would give me pause as well.
Same here, just got back from Breck last night. Restaurants are tougher than normal but Main St seemed pretty crowded and all stores open. Biggest issue is making reservations for on mountain dining, if you dont have one its tough to get a table inside to sit down and eat/warm up.

Snow wasnt great but that can change in an instant.

Ski in Ski Out would have been ideal if you can find one.
JustPanda
AG
If you need rentals or dining rec's, LMK. I also still have my 10 buddy passes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.