Anybody been to Chicago during COVID/Winter?

830 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LegalDrugPusher
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter has applied to Northwestern and so the whole family is going up at the end of the month to tour and talk to a couple of folks.

We're staying in the River North area in downtown Chicago. Have any of your been lately? It looks like dining in restaurants isn't an option but lots do have tents and heaters to make outdoor possible.

I know it's the worst time of year to go but the best time if you're trying to figure out if you could live there.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Scruffy
AG
I live here.
You seem to have a grasp on what is going here. What would you like to know?

Indoor dining is still shut down. Same with bars etc.
Some places have outdoor set-ups, but it is winter so a nice day for us is ~40F and most of the days are in the low 30's. While some of the outdoor tents may have heaters, I don't know how well they work.
Most everything fun to do is shut down, but at least the parks are open (earlier last year they went so far as to put up temp. fencing around parks and trails.)
I'm a bit surprised Northwestern is having tours.
Most shopping is open with limited capacity, so if checking out the Magnificent Mile etc. there may be lines to enter (especially on the weekends).
If taking the "L" from river north to Evenston, you will either get the purple express which runs at rush times all the way up, or will need to take the red line to Howard and transfer to the purple. Avoid the red line late at night (like after midnight was what I was told).

Let me know if you have more questions.
Winter here isn't too bad, if you have warm clothes. Bring layers.
Entering buildings and shopping, masks are required. Masks are not required while outside, but you will have some people give you dirty looks, walk way around from you, and possibly say something if you walk face uncovered.
JYDog90
AG
Exactly what I was looking for. Northwestern isn't actually giving tours. My daughter is interested in studying classical languages and Northwestern has a very good program. She's only had virtual tours and has no idea what it's really like so we thought it best to get up there, walk around campus, and have her get a feel of it.

I have a friend whose son is a freshman at NW so he's going to show us around a little bit.

Are there restaurants you'd recommend in that area where we're staying? I'm sure boat tours aren't running because of winter anyway. It would be better if the Shedd or the art institute or navy pier was open. But we've gotta take what we can get.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Scruffy
AG
It's a great school and I wish her the best.
Sadly, with the current COVID stuff, I don't know how much she will enjoy an empty campus and I would hate if this odd time puts her off attending.

Also sadly... while there are a lot of good restaurants in your area, we don't eat out so I can't give any recommendations

Keep checking what is open. Our level of lockdown changes depending on case numbers and it could be by the time you come up more things will be open.

Best of luck.
JYDog90
AG
Thanks. We have to make a call by the end of February so time is of the essence.
Formerly Willy Wonka
McInnis80
There a ton of great restaurants in River North, but the question is will they be open.
LegalDrugPusher
I was in Chicago the last week of October and everything is shutdown.

But just this week their pathetic mayor wants to start opening up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.