New CDC Guidelines - ALL persons entering the US must have negative COVID test

10,033 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tmtxco
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we really need further clarification on this but after 1/26, you must obtain a negative covid test while in destination before you can return home to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0112-negative-covid-19-air-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR1I59hbXhTNNkJBrN3yw2xLsyIjwxAvAc8eAHzseupzn3Yzb_Ja46Q01zY

Quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. Testing before and after travel is a critical layer to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more efficiently protects the health of Americans.

Variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus continue to emerge in countries around the world, and there is evidence of increased transmissibility of some of these variants. With the US already in surge status, the testing requirement for air passengers will help slow the spread of the virus as we work to vaccinate the American public.

Before departure to the United States, a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel, will help slow the spread of COVID-19 within US communities from travel-related infections. Pre-departure testing with results known and acted upon before travel begins will help identify infected travelers before they board airplanes.

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

"Testing does not eliminate all risk," says CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, MD, "but when combined with a period of staying at home and everyday precautions like wearing masks and social distancing, it can make travel safer, healthier, and more responsible by reducing spread on planes, in airports, and at destinations."

This order was signed by the CDC Director on January 12, 2021 and will become effective on January 26, 2021.
dallasiteinsa02
What about people crossing illegally?
Aggiemike96
AG
CDC has this power? What's the punishment for violators?
Post removed:
by user
JMac03
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

CDC has this power? What's the punishment for violators?
My guess is the airlines will be penalized since they are the ones who have to verify it.
JMac03
AG
CastleRock said:

Wtf? Headed to cancun in February. How the f am i supposed to get a COVID test in the resort zone?
Most resorts will be offering it or will have people come to the sites. I know several hotels already offer it as a service. I've read it can cost anywhere from $125-$250+.

I think what is going to worry me more - is Mexico prepared to test thousands of people per day and get results back in a timely manner?
schmendeler
AG
Yeah Mexico gonna get hurt big time if they can't show that they can handle the testing load for people vacationing.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
JMac03 said:

CastleRock said:

Wtf? Headed to cancun in February. How the f am i supposed to get a COVID test in the resort zone?
Most resorts will be offering it or will have people come to the sites. I know several hotels already offer it as a service. I've read it can cost anywhere from $125-$250+.

I think what is going to worry me more - is Mexico prepared to test thousands of people per day and get results back in a timely manner?

This bull Shiite
aggiejumper
AG
I see a side black market for negative tests in Mexico. They can't keep up but how are the airlines able to verify every single test from all the random cities outside the main ones.
TexasAggie008
AG
Soo...Dallas Co for instance had close to 2K positive cases today (just like most days)

Why does it matter if a few people a day that land at DFW from another country ALSO have covid?

On the same note, why does it matter if a couple of covid positives board a plane at DFW and land in Paris?

The only answer i can come up with is "because thats just the way things have been done since March"
wcb
AG
Eh, Mexico will just install a button in the airport.

"Push the button...no COVID. Here's your papers."
TX04Aggie
AG
Glad I went to Vallarta last week and had a great time. Now I guess will be trapped in these United States once again.
tamc93
AG
Just wow. It was bad enough to have to take a test to leave, but now to take one to get back in....

They are going to kill tourism.
maroon10
AG
Ridiculous. Absolutely stupid.
Post removed:
by user
Theblondewonder
AG
TheEyeGuy and I are heading to El Dorado in Cancun 1/31 - 2/7. Ridiculous
mel99
AG
We're suppose to go to Playa in February. Should we cancel? What a cluster f.
JMac03
AG
We are already starting to see some hotel chains cover the test costs through February. One of the spreadsheets that has been put together is showing testing to range from $150-$180. With that said, some resorts are offering a family package of testing for $180 total.

I think more info will come out over the next few days. But this definitely is putting a damper on things. Especially the short trips - if my clients go they literally have to find somewhere to get tested the day they land since they are only there 3 days.

2wealfth Man
AG
Is this legal? Can a US citizen be denied entry to the country? Wow! If so, public health officials have assumed powers I do not believe that they are granted constitutionally.
JMac03
AG
For those choosing to travel - PLEASE buy health insurance. If you have a false positive or you are positive and you have to quarantine, I'm sure that can get costly.

It is super cheap if you cover medical only and not trip cancellation. Now there may be limits, but it at least would help.

For instance if you purchase RoamRights Pro Plus plan, you get $200/day per person. Note this only covers 5 days worth though. This plan for my clients was $34. Allianz states they cover quarantine - but I need to call them for more info. But theirs is $90.

I've talked to 3 insurance companies this morning - I am sure future things are coming with this new CDC Policy - I was told they are all looking into it. So my guess is an additional option may be added very soon with quarantine in mind.
JMac03
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Is this legal? Can a US citizen be denied entry to the country? Wow if so, public health officials have assumed powers I do not believe that they are granted constitutionally.
This is being discussed a lot in my travel agent groups. It will be interesting to see if it sticks.
schmendeler
AG
good info. i'm interested in hearing more about this as the situation develops.
Post removed:
by user
Ag CPA
AG
Our next trip to Mexico is at the end of May, hopefully this goes away by then. In the meantime, look for Florida to book up the next few months.
Onceaggie2.0
If you are the border they have to let you in a plane is foreign country bound for USA they dont.
YouBet
AG
Ag CPA said:

Our next trip to Mexico is at the end of May, hopefully this goes away by then. In the meantime, look for Florida to book up the next few months.

There is already talk of a "Health Passport" that will be the new standard going forward so you are pretty much going to have to give up your health privacy to leave/return the country in the future. And then you can look for it to be required for domestic air travel after that.

So, doubt it's going away...ever. What it has done is effectively kill any foreign travel for my wife and I going forward since she refuses to subject herself to any of this. Glad the US is such a large country with a lot left to see.
NoahAg
And people think I'M crazy for believing the vaccine will become mandatory. This CDC guideline is just 1 step.
NoahAg
dallasiteinsa02 said:

What about people crossing illegally?
They get...

-extra stimulus check
-free healthcare
-free education
-in-state college tuition
-DNC membership card
schmendeler
AG
can we keep the political opinions elsewhere?
springagg
Well this is all political.. so why keep that elsewhere. If you voted for these idiots.. thank yourself because you are starting to the outcome of your choices... and you will see much more of it. You vote for big government and more control over you.. here it is.
The Lost
schmendeler said:

I mean its 100% political since this was done by a group of non elected officials, taking away rights. Kinda impossible.
Ag_07
AG
We just cancelled a trip to Mexico we had planned in Feb not because of this but seeing this craziness make me feel a bit better.

I haven't read the guidelines in detail but I see you're required to have a negative test within 3 days of your return

So if you go to Mexico for a 3 day trip and you test negative the day you leave is that test good for your return test?
schmendeler
AG
The Lost said:

schmendeler said:

I mean its 100% political since this was done by a group of non elected officials, taking away rights. Kinda impossible.
i think talking about illegal immigrants is outside the scope of this thread.
JMac03
AG
Ag_07 said:

We just cancelled a trip to Mexico we had planned in Feb not because of this but seeing this craziness make me feel a bit better.

I haven't read the guidelines in detail but I see you're required to have a negative test within 3 days of your return

So if you go to Mexico for a 3 day trip and you test negative the day you leave is that test good for your return test?
From what I am reading - no. It says you have to test IN DESTINATION. Otherwise that was going to be my recommendation to my client who is only going for 3 days.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.