Pittsburg, pa

1,300 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NoHo Hank
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking of taking the hubs to Pittsburg, pa next month for his birthday. Any higher end hotel recs or things to do/eat?
It's not very far from where we live now so I thought it might be fun.
Thanks
Random Ag
AG
Pittsburgh institutions would be Pamela's for breakfast and Primanti Brothers for a sandwich. Both have multiple locations. The Botanical Garden (they have large greenhouses) and Carnegie Museums are top notch - not sure what is going on with Covid so check. The inclines provide great views of the city. Sorry no recs, husband's family is there. Big fan of Pittsburgh though!
Tatem
Thanks!
OilManAg91
AG
Omni William Penn hotel is historic and very nice. Also great location.
Jackal99
AG
Check out the Warhol Museum.
07ag
AG
monterrey bay has great views from near top of incline, also really good seafood.

church brew works is a really interesting location
https://ts.la/eric59704
Latrobe
AG
Went back for a visit(went to grad school there 15 years ago) last October and stayed at the Kimpton Monaco Hotel (very nice!)

Had dinner at Altius at the top of the incline. I've eaten there and LaMont....and both were incredible. The photo is our view right outside Altius.

Red hawk coffee shop downtown was a great local place to get some fresh coffee.

jamesf
AG
07ag said:

monterrey bay has great views from near top of incline, also really good seafood.

church brew works is a really interesting location

We went to Church Brew Works. It is a cool place. Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house is not too far from Pittsburgh.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house is not too far from Pittsburgh.
I did not know that. Cool. Now that I'm an old, I'm a huge Frank Lloyd Wright fan. I toured the "Allen House" in Wichita a couple years ago.

Looks like Fallingwater is closed until Jan. 31st.
https://fallingwater.org/
Bunk Moreland
We stayed at the Renaissance downtown and loved it. I would recommend Meat & Potatoes as it was fantastic but website says they're temporarily closed due to state covid restrictions.

Lavender Gooms
AG
Lived in Pittsburgh for almost 10 years. I think it's an underrated city!

Church Brew Works is great. Pamela's in the strip would be my choice. Not sure how covid has affected things, but The Strip is a cool place to walk around (Penn Avenue just outside of downtown. Piazziolo Promo downtown is delicious (Market Square). Nikki's thai Kitchen in Pittsburghs north shore/north side area. Square Cafe in Swissvale is awesome. Tessaros in Bloomfield. Dave and Andy's ice cream on University of Pittsburghs campus. Get a Burnt Almost torte at Prantl's bakery downtown (note, they sell out fast, but you can buy one in advance)

I think Primanti's is overrated. Yes, it's a Pittsburgh institution, but I just think the food is ok, nothing special.

Cathedral of learning is impressive. At least try to drive by it. They do tours, but not sure with covid.

The campus of Chatham University is beautiful.

Heinz History Center

Schenley Park, Point State Park, Mellon Park

Phipps Conservatory near Carnegie Mellon

Doubt they are doing food tours, but we've done one in the strip which was great.

A river tour on the Gateway Clipper is a different way to see the city.
deadhead aggie
AG
If you do opt for Primanti Brothers, I think it's worth going to the original location in the Strip District. The ambiance and history just seem to add to the experience. Can't go wrong with a jumbo fried baloney and cheese sandwich, served with a Yuengling or two.
NoHo Hank
AG
+1 for Altius. Great restaurant and incredible views of the city. Only kicker is to watch out for drunk uber drivers getting you up there. Some steep, narrow, icy roads to get there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.