New Mexico with kids - not skiing

5,957 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CanyonAg77
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, looks like the Rio Grande Bridge is about an hour away... worth the drive?

Is Taos worth avisit? Is Red River better for just a stroll through town visiting stores/shops/pubs/restaurants?

Spane Bohem

jpb1999
AG
Also, the kids LOVE "mining" for rocks. Last year in Ruidoso they had a "cave" mining place where they give a bag of dirt to kids and let them sift through it to find minerals/rocks. Is there anything like that around Angel Fire or Red River? I think I saw where Red River has gold panning, but would definitely think that is a summer only activity. Any mining type winter things in the area? What about just caves? Carlsbad is to far and for another trip...

Thanks!

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
Some good food in Taos...assuming they are open. Crap ton of art galleries, same thing.

I think the high bridge is impressive. But if the weather is bad, you won't feel like getting out and getting the whole experience, so...?

As I said, the problem is that there are lots of small interesting thing, but not one big one. And lots of driving. At least the drive from AF to Taos is pretty.

Forgot to mention the Vietnam War Memorial at AF. Not much to it, but notable for being the first in the US.
jpb1999
AG
Since you live there, was curious how the weather is looking? I have been checking the weather, and since it is still pretty far out, it has been fluctuating quite a bit.

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/United_States/Angel_Fire_snow.html

Question, I see how it says that snow falling to resort level, and light rain below. So does this mean it is raining in town as it is little lower than the resort/ski base? If it rains, does that mean all of the accumulated snow is melting? Or is it still not warm enough to melt the snow around town?

I guess I am trying to gauge if we will have snow around the house (to sled on) we are staying at. It is slightly higher than the ski base area I think. Address is 102 El Camino Real.

Also see the outlook showing highs around 36/37. Does this mean snow will be melting and slushy or does the temps above 32 not matter much because of the altitude?

Thanks!

Spane Bohem

Wicked Good Ag
If not planning on skiing which month is the best to visit New Mexico? Events weather etc....would it be October ??
AggieSarah01
AG
October is the best for weather. Also, it is Balloon Fiesta!
jpb1999
AG
AggieSarah01 said:

October is the best for weather. Also, it is Balloon Fiesta!
I am sure it is great in October, but not sure how you can get better than a 105 degree Texas July vs a 70 degree New Mexico July

Spane Bohem

FarmerJohn
AG
I haven't been up since October, but the stories from family since then is that Taos is really militant on the whole "Texans are giving us Covid". A lot more strict on things and you are more likely to get someone freaking out over out of state plates. I just find it hard to recommend Taos until this is all over, and hard to recommend the Taos pueblo ever.

Red River has restrictions and have to follow the law, but they at least recognize that they need you for the business, and are grateful for it. That being said, I don't know if you have been to Red River, but it is a very small town. No stop lights. It's ok to do the whole walk around thing but I don't know that I'd plan a whole day of it. Unfortunately with Kenneth Wyatt closing and the Bobcat closed for the winter, there are less things open other than the touristy kitsch stuff or outdoor gear. I'm not an expert on the winter sports offerings, so some others may have better ideas there.
jpb1999
AG
So found this near Questa:

Wild Rivers Visitor Center

Looks pretty cool with trails overlooking the Red River and Rio Grande Gorges as well as going down to the rivers.

A little far from Angel Fire (1 hour 15 minutes), but if we are already in Red River, doesn't seem to far.

Anyone been there or recommend it (or not)?

Spane Bohem

FarmerJohn
AG
That's a good one. I was there this summer and it's nice and open. First, it's BLM so the state can't exclude non-residents. Bring a five and some ones as the you are supposed to put the entrance fee in an envelope in an un-manned outdoor kiosk. I'm sure a lot of people just blow past it but grownups should pay the small amount so we can keep parks going. (Ok, off the soapbox).

There are nice open areas with pavilions looking at the confluence of the Red to the Rio Grande Rivers. The upper parking area is very accessible for small children or disabilities. There are side trails for as adventurous as you are feeling. The area has little to no shade outside of the pavilions, so bring hats, etc. Be sure to bring water. Might be a nice place for a picnic.
CanyonAg77
AG
The self pay slot at our local NWR is taped over because COVID. Crazy.
wildcat08
AG
jpb1999 said:

Since you live there, was curious how the weather is looking? I have been checking the weather, and since it is still pretty far out, it has been fluctuating quite a bit.

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/United_States/Angel_Fire_snow.html

Question, I see how it says that snow falling to resort level, and light rain below. So does this mean it is raining in town as it is little lower than the resort/ski base? If it rains, does that mean all of the accumulated snow is melting? Or is it still not warm enough to melt the snow around town?

I guess I am trying to gauge if we will have snow around the house (to sled on) we are staying at. It is slightly higher than the ski base area I think. Address is 102 El Camino Real.

Also see the outlook showing highs around 36/37. Does this mean snow will be melting and slushy or does the temps above 32 not matter much because of the altitude?

Thanks!
Sorry, just saw this. There wasn't any moisture of significance in that last storm, so little real impact. My wife is skiing with her friend today, and it's great snow and a beautiful day. What it will be when you get here I couldn't say, of course. Your best sleighing opportunity is the sledding run at the country club (it's the driving range in the summer). Message me with dates, etc at sferguson702 (a gmail address), and I'll give you more info.
FarmerJohn
AG
Haha... That's just dumb.
CanyonAg77
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Haha... That's just dumb.
Well, it is the Federal Government.

And I get the distinct idea, they'd be happy if no humans ever came out. They had the refuge closed at first for Covid. Then they opened it to foot traffic only. Which means instead of driving on and being able to explore 3,000 acres and miles of road, they concentrated everyone within walking distance of the entrance gate.

After they opened the refuge back up, they still would not allow camping. But within the last month, they have physically blocked the road that leads to the 1/2 mile spur where the camp sites are.

Bizarre.

In 20+ years of visiting the refuge I have NEVER seen a refuge employee out doing anything. Although a few weeks ago, I saw a "Federal Wildlife Officer" in a truck on the refuge. Googled it up, they are basically Game Wardens, who only work the National Wildlife Refuges. Obviously, this guy was not assigned permanently to our refuge, I assume it's one of several he visits.
jpb1999
AG
Quote:

Well, we leave Monday early AM for our trip to Angel Fire, and... It looks like we picked the absolute worst day to try and drive across northwest Texas and into New Mexico. Looks like the storm is hitting the hardest Sunday in New Mexico, and the hardest in Lubbock (and south to Central Texas) on Sunday PM / Monday AM.

Thinking about trying to leave early to get to Lubbock by Sunday evening, then go from Lubbock to Angel Fire on Monday... OR trying to make the whole trip on Saturday. The problem with Saturday is that we are 2 days early and will just be waiting out the storm in a hotel room/condo for 2 days until our house opens up on Monday.

Starting to worry overall about the trip on Monday though for sure... not sure if black ice will be a thing in west Texas or since actively snowing it may not be bad? Either way, I can see our 11 hour trip turning into 20 hours with slower speeds.

Any expert thoughts on this?

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
Boy, it gets really hard when you're trying to advise someone on travel with their family.

I haven't paid tons of attention to the coming weather. We basically saw that it's going to be cold, so we just planned to just settle in the house and stay home.

I don't know how much snow/ice is coming. Amarillo TV says scattered snow showers. But it is also going to be much colder than normal. It's been decades since I saw forecasts for temps this cold.

If it is that cold, I'd assume no ice, snow only. And it doesn't seem like a lot of snow forecast for us. Roads here are generally good, and TxDot does a good job of salting and plowing.

The worry, of course, is that once you get within 40 miles of Lubbock, you are on the Great Plains and will be for the next 100-200 miles. Elevations of 3000-5000 feet MSL, and nothing to block the wind.

If it's snowing with a north wind, I-40 between AMA and ABQ will be a skating rink, populated by truckers who got their license out of a Cracker Jack Box.

Bottom line, I'd say your biggest worry is between the Texas border and Angel Fire, as the elevation rises and the country gets more desolate.

I'm guessing it will be bloody cold, not icy, but pack like a Survivalist. Watch the forecast. We are 48 hours from the weekend, which is a lifetime in panhandle weather
jpb1999
AG
Really thinking pretty hard about just going down Saturday instead and renting a condo for 2 nights.

I am looking at the weather along the route for Saturday, and Abilene/Lubbock show will be below freezing with just a few flurries, but most of New Mexico is above freezing and partly sunny.

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
jpb1999 said:

Really thinking pretty hard about just going down Saturday instead and renting a condo for 2 nights.

I am looking at the weather along the route for Saturday, and Abilene/Lubbock show will be below freezing with just a few flurries, but most of New Mexico is above freezing and partly sunny.

Yeah, Sunday looks horrible. Maybe not tons of snow, but lots of wind, so you get drifts. I wouldn't travel in the Amarillo area on Sunday.

Don't know how LBB and Newer Mexico look.

https://www.myhighplains.com/weather-headlines/forecast/bitterly-cold-mornings-before-a-deep-freeze/
jpb1999
AG
We have been all over map on options. Thinking now about leaving Sunday AM, like 8, which puts us in Lubbock around 1:30 pm on a good day, but maybe add a few hours for slow travel between Abilene and Lubbock? Stay the night in Lubbock, then leave again around 7 or 8 Monday AM. From Lubbock it's 5.5 to 6 hours on a good day. How slow would travel be from Lubbock to Angel Fire? Weather shows it to be partly sunny already in Lubbock on Monday and above freezing for highs in Fort Sumner and Mora. Yes there will be snow on the ground though. Does that 6 hour drive turn into 12, or just 8 or 9?

Or is that all still a bad idea.

All I know is that we can't do the trip in one day in these conditions, except for maybe Saturday, but an obligation came up Sat AM, so that is out. We can't leave Monday AM from Belton as it will be actively snowing, and as stated before, it would be a 2 day trip at that point. Sunday driving in NW Texas (Lubbock and beyond) is out.. That is why we are thinking about driving to Lubbock before it really starts on Sunday, then on Monday in partly cloudy conditions, although their will be snow on the roads.

BTW, going through Clovis from Lubbock.

Oh, and thanks for the info!

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

How slow would travel be from Lubbock to Angel Fire?
It depends.

Sorry to be that way, but you're on the southern end of the Great Plains, storm systems have nothing to stop them roaring down from Canada except for a barbed wire fence, and it's down. Things can change within a few hours.

Your two best friends will be

https://drivetexas.org/

https://www.nmroads.com/

Both will have fairly current road info. And if you don't use it already, use Google Maps, with "traffic" turned on. You will see instantly what roads are blocked or slow, even before the two sites above post it.

I will be a nag and repeat earlier nagging to say to pack blankets, food, water, etc. as if you will be stranded.

Up until Clovis, you'll generally hit a small town every 15-30 miles, with the exception of Snyder to Post. From Clovis to Ft. Sumner, and Sumner to Santa-Rosa...nothing. Santa Rosa to Las Vegas, also no services, as well as LV to AF.

The good thing about Newer Mexico, is that they are pretty good at winter. They keep the roads plowed.

One side issue, concerning Taos Pueblo. I was looking at the nmroads site, and noticed a closure near Taos. When I clicked on it, it said the Pueblo was closed to visitors due to COVID. In fact they have blocked the highway, so that you can't even drive out to it.

I suspect you should do similar checking on any proposed destination in NM. They are full on CoronaBros out there. Or since the governor is female, maybe it's CoronaKaren.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.