Hawaii open by June?

13,172 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Phat32
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So go to Walgreens 72 hours before your flight (or before your connecting flight?) and when you get your result where do you upload it - just take a screen shot? And then wait for a QR code to be sent - how soon do you get that?
EliteElectric
72 hrs before your final connection. Walgreens (PWM Health) sends you an email with the pdf link in it. You also have to create an account at Hawaii Safe Travels (https://travel.hawaii.gov/) and upload the docs to that site. We are also being told we have to "check in" electronically everyday and jump through a few questions. So far, and not to jincks us, seems ezpz
EliteElectric
Here at Aulani. Travel was a breeze. People here seem to be really happy to see tourists again.
The Grinder (99)
AG
love that pic of Aulani! We go to Hawaii (Kauai and Big Island with one night at Oahu) in June. Will be my first trip. Wife has been a couple times with her family when she was a teen. She was also born there, so there's that, but moved to Texas when she was 1.

Thought of staying at Aulani, but decided that may be a trip all by itself someday. That pic however looks awesome! Hope your family is having a great time
EliteElectric
Few pics. We spent a day in Waikiki and at least half of the people were maskless. Here at Aulani they are a lot stricter

EliteElectric
So a couple of quick notes for anyone who is going or considering going

1. Get your documents done ahead of time and get the wristband when you check in for your flight to Hawaii. Saves at least 3 hours and a lot of headache. We saw a lot of people in that hell of a line that looked completely miserable

2. A lot of people not wearing masks, the only place we really encountered mask Nazi's were on the plane to and from (United) and at Aulani. Rest of Oahu seemed nonchalant about it.

3. They are at reduced capacity even though they are open so Luau's, excursions, attractions etc are all booked weeks in advance so do your homework and make sure the stuff you want to do is available during the time you are there

4. Much like those in Cancun, the people on Oahu who are dependant upon tourism dollars are VERY glad to see tourism returning, everyone we encountered was cheerful, and helpful.

In retrospect I should have waited until summer for more things to be open, that said we had a great time as always. it was good to see the island again.
The Milkman
AG
Great news to see that. We are going in September. Hoping by that point they'll take a vaccination instead of all the testing and hoops.
EliteElectric
I think you'll be fine by then. Seems things are moving quickly now
Big Al 1992
AG
How was the rental car situation? We have reservations - National is usually pretty good - but heard stories of long lines and reservations not being honored - a la Seinfeld.
EliteElectric
No problem for us, I am a long time renter/acct holder with enterprise. The prices were horrible. 4 door jeep was all in around 1000 for a week rental. I didn't really experience or observe any shortages, did see what I would call gouging
The Lost
EliteElectric said:

No problem for us, I am a long time renter/acct holder with enterprise. The prices were horrible. 4 door jeep was all in around 1000 for a week rental. I didn't really experience or observe any shortages, did see what I would call gouging
The "Gouging" was due to the shortage...
EliteElectric
saw no shortages, all of the rental car lots were full and we had our choice of 20 or so Jeeps
Phat32
AG
https://mauinow.com/2021/05/13/gov-ige-says-hawai%CA%BBi-will-maintain-mask-mandate-despite-cdcs-updated-guidance/

The Lost
EliteElectric said:

saw no shortages, all of the rental car lots were full and we had our choice of 20 or so Jeeps
You also have 0 clue about how many they normally have and also they aren't at full capacity of tourist. The pricing has def ended many trips for people.
EliteElectric
When we were in Hawaii the only people wearing masks were tourists, Ige is a total tool. Complete leftist shill
Jock 07
AG
yukmonkey said:

https://mauinow.com/2021/05/13/gov-ige-says-hawai%CA%BBi-will-maintain-mask-mandate-despite-cdcs-updated-guidance/

Because SCIENCE!!!!
Phat32
AG
Wouldn't this actually be ignoring the science now?
EliteElectric
The Lost said:

EliteElectric said:

You also have 0 clue about how many they normally have and also they aren't at full capacity of tourist. The pricing has def ended many trips for people.
So by that logic, if the tourist are down, and we're talking about an island here, it's not like the drove them all to the next state, why would there be a shortage? Theoretically they should have roughly the same inventory as pre pandemic right?

You're right I have no clue how many vehicles they normally have. I do however have eyes, and those eyes saw virtually the same amount of vehicles on the rental lots as I always see in Hawaii and I had zero trouble reserving a car.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Phat32
AG
They likely returned a lot of the leases or sold the cars used. Then demand came back and with the chip shortage, they could not get enough new cars. But I do not have a source for any of that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.