Winter Park and Steamboat Review

2,616 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pahdz
Barnyard96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just did 4 days at Winter Park and checked in today at Steamboat (will review Steamboat later).

First, Winter Park has great snow now: 102" total and 35" Base. They are close to having all runs open.

Covid Restrictions.
  • Need a Reservation now at Winter Park (Passholders too starting 12/19)
  • Wear a face covering in the Village and in the lift line.
  • All food is take-out only for now at base and in-town. There is outdoor dining in the village and Apres around the fire pits.
  • Restrooms and shops are open (take a moment to warm up if you need to)

Other than a staff member politely asking a few people to pull up their face coverings, and the lines being slightly longer due to spacing, you won't know the difference from prior years. The higher mountain lifts were way more lax about the face coverings.

Don't let anyone tell you not to come to Colorado. Its open for business. Just keep those ski tips up.
maroon10
AG
Can't wait for your Steamboat report. They've been getting snow this week!
Matsui
breezecustomtravel
AG
Thanks for the report!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Barnyard96
AG
maroon10 said:

Can't wait for your Steamboat report. They've been getting snow this week!
I will write something up tomorrow (Saturday) evening. Resting up this morning. Going night skiing tonight and back at a full day tomorrow.

Snow is dumping here and they are working to get more of the Mountain open. Looking out my window at the base, I can see many folks shredding (and many folks snow plowing, lol).

RachAg2007
AG
In Steamboat, indoor dining should be opening ASAP at 25% capacity.
Barnyard96
AG
RachAg2007 said:

In Steamboat, indoor dining should be opening ASAP at 25% capacity.
Heard Sunday was the day.
RachAg2007
AG
It started tonight. Routt County public health received approval early this evening.
Barnyard96
BTHOB-98
Steamboat is a terrible place. You should never go there.
Barnyard96
AG
Steamboat finally got some good snow, but it has stopped and they could use some more. The non-groomed terrain is pretty ski'd out and lots of visible rocks, trees, icy moguls etc. Tough on the old quads.

Crowds were heavy Saturday and Sunday, but have lightened up today.

Ski Patrol told me a high wind storm in October knocked down several trees on the backside, and it will be a challenge to get it open.
RachAg2007
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Steamboat finally got some good snow, but it has stopped and they could use some more. The non-groomed terrain is pretty ski'd out and lots of visible rocks, trees, icy moguls etc. Tough on the old quads.

Crowds were heavy Saturday and Sunday, but have lightened up today.

Ski Patrol told me a high wind storm in October knocked down several trees on the backside, and it will be a challenge to get it open.

The windstorm this fall was pretty epic- took out a ton of trees all throughout town. While riding the gondie and lifts yesterday, I could see a lot of the blown down trees and very little snow coverage. Steamboat needs a couple more feet of snow for tree skiing. As tourists come into town for the Christmas holidays, the resort is desperately trying to open more terrain to help space people out however, IMO, there are quite a few runs that are simply not ready to be open.
DeangeloVickers
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Steamboat is a terrible place. You should never go there.
Agree lots of chupacabras there

Winter Park and Vail is where the cool kids go''skiing ...steamboat is awful
Duck Sausage
AG
Leaving tomorrow for our first trip to Steamboat. Can't wait!
JustPanda
AG
Be careful out there - it's a low snow season no doubt
Duck Sausage
AG
JustPanda said:

Be careful out there - it's a low snow season no doubt

Of course on our first trip. Supposedly getting a pretty good storm today so hopefully that helps along with some more while we're there.
maroon10
AG
Any word Panda around the locals if they're worried the mountains will close early again due to the rise in cases?
JustPanda
AG
Not much worry about a total shut down - honestly the crowds in town of Vail and BC have been almost equal to last season.

The COVID dial and arbitrary rules are centered more around dining and lodging.

The COVID dial color is a joke.
maroon10
AG
Good to hear
DripAG08
AG
Will be headed to Winter Park next month. Looking forward to getting back.
JustPanda
AG
We need snow....badly.
maroon10
AG
Anyone know where we can buy used kids ski boots? Our neighbor gave us some skis and we want to leave some boots at the cabin for the kids to try going down the driveway for fun.

Also, our 5.5 year old daughter wants to do snowboard lessons instead of ski. I've only snowboarded- bad or good idea from you experts? She's coordinated and motivated by other kids. Learned to roller blade in a week.
Pahdz
Hate to hear that. The difference between a good snow year and bad at Steamboat (and anywhere else) Can almost ruin a trip. My first time skiing ever was Feb 2008 in Steamboat and the base was over 300". Five years later went in February and the base was 36".
JustPanda
AG
Colorado's never had a mountain get close to a 300 inch base. Probs thinking total season snowfall.

It's all dense and fast groomers really - not bad if you like downhill but it'll slide hella fast.
JustPanda
AG
I'm not pro or anti boarding - Kate shreds on a board. I will say the industry lifecycle on snowboarding compared to skiing is later. My generation was heavy boarders and then the whole arena kinda got played out when every 7th grader was on a board - it made the unique the norm - meaning you've seen a drop in boarding compared to skiing - you also have hills (more each year) that are preserving the feel and conditions of their mountains by restriction anything but skiing.

For kids I'd say do what they enjoy and gravitate towards. The end goal is to have fun not be a pro.
Pahdz
You are correct I was mixed up, the total snowfall when we went was 350" and that 07/08 season finished around 480"

Sadly my second trip there was 1/10th the snow
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.