Key West - Excursions?

1,010 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Silky Johnston
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Traveling to Key West for the first time the 2nd week of Nov. Besides relaxing at the pool, drinking, eating, etc, any recs on things to do? Boat adventures? Snorkeling? etc
Whoop Delecto
AG
Al Bula
AG
SkiMo said:

Traveling to Key West for the first time the 2nd week of Nov. Besides relaxing at the pool, drinking, eating, etc, any recs on things to do? Boat adventures? Snorkeling? etc
- Sea plane to Dry Tortugas is a must. You can snorkle around Fort Jefferson if you take your own gear. Do NOT take the ferry.
- Lots of great fishing year round in the Keys so a flats trip or a deep sea trip are easily doable
- There are outfits that offer mangrove kayak trips and snorkeling in the small keys west of Key West
- You can charter boats to some of the keys and chill there for a few hours on a sandbar, Boca Grande I think.
SkiMo
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

SkiMo said:

- Sea plane to Dry Tortugas is a must. You can snorkle around Fort Jefferson if you take your own gear. Do NOT take the ferry.
- Lots of great fishing year round in the Keys so a flats trip or a deep sea trip are easily doable
- There are outfits that offer mangrove kayak trips and snorkeling in the small keys west of Key West
- You can charter boats to some of the keys and chill there for a few hours on a sandbar, Boca Grande I think.
Thanks for the advice!
hds
AG
Another recommendation to take the sea plane to Dry Tortuga! Book it early in trip so if bad weather can try another day. It was so nice to be there before the ferry arrived!
Silky Johnston
Just got back from Key West and will pile on for taking the seaplane to Dry Tortuga. We did that and it was definitely the highlight. A bit pricy, but definitely worth it. That two hour boat ride sounds absolutely miserable and the seaplane gets you there in about 30-40 minutes and you see a couple of wrecks along with countless turtles and sharks.
Garrelli 5000
AG
How was the scene overall? We almost pulled the trigger on a trip earlier but learned right before buying that a lot of the bars and restaurants were closed, masks were required 100% of the time other than eating and drinking, etc. we decided to not spend the $ on what sounded like a very restricted experience.

I think it was July when we were planning and we're planned to book for October or November. Sounds like we should have done so.

Love KW. If I have the money when I retire it's a place I'd love a second home. Not so magic 8 ball says to keep believing in Santa, but damn I like to dream
Take the trash out staff.
Silky Johnston
Every bar and restaurant we saw was open. Only closing we were aware of was Cafe Marquesa which cancelled our reservation because they closed down for 14 days to quarantine. We were only asked to wear masks when entering the building and walking to the table. A few places took our temperatures, but that was about as restrictive as it got.

Saturday and Sunday down Duval were somewhat busy, but not like I have seen it before. Monday was pretty much dead, but bars were open. It was definitely worth going and it looks like they could really use the business.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.