Things to do in Nashville

3,838 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cottonpicker
agAngeldad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at a quick trip. Any suggestions?
07ag
AG
ryman, belle meade, hattie b's
https://ts.la/eric59704
Matsui
AG
Eat drink music
JMac03
AG
From what I understand, they are operating the way we (Texas) was before our bars opened back up. Bars must serve food, stop serving alcohol at 11PM (not sure what time they have to close).

I could be wrong, but I was researching a trip out there for a group and this is what I found.

When we went we didn't do a whole lot. Walked around a bunch. Did the hop-on, hop-off bus and went to the zoo. We stayed about 2 blocks off Broadway.
Bunk Moreland
+1 for Ryman, Belle Meade, Hattie B's.

Broadway was open when I was there in August with restrictions. Most police were just walking around making sure people outside the bars in line kept their masks on. Seemed there was definitely a push back at some of the harsher policies at the time so I'm not sure if capacity levels have increased or not, but that was the major ****ty part is you couldn't bar hop. You had to get in line at one place early and once you got in, stay there. If you hopped out you were not getting into another place and you were fixing to waste 2 hours standing in a line 75 deep.

Also, it was closed when I was there in August but I believe the Country Music Hall of Fame is re-opened with tickets purchased/reserved in advance. Highly recommend. Good way to kill a few hours seeing all the exhibits.

If whiskey is of interest, the Nelson's Green Brier distillery in town is decent as well. Unsure on COVID's effect on their tours and tastings.
agAngeldad
Bunk Moreland said:

+1 for Ryman, Belle Meade, Hattie B's.

Broadway was open when I was there in August with restrictions. Most police were just walking around making sure people outside the bars in line kept their masks on. Seemed there was definitely a push back at some of the harsher policies at the time so I'm not sure if capacity levels have increased or not, but that was the major ****ty part is you couldn't bar hop. You had to get in line at one place early and once you got in, stay there. If you hopped out you were not getting into another place and you were fixing to waste 2 hours standing in a line 75 deep.

Also, it was closed when I was there in August but I believe the Country Music Hall of Fame is re-opened with tickets purchased/reserved in advance. Highly recommend. Good way to kill a few hours seeing all the exhibits.

If whiskey is of interest, the Nelson's Green Brier distillery in town is decent as well. Unsure on COVID's effect on their tours and tastings.

Thanks. Where did you stay?
Bunk Moreland
This past August...one of the downtown Hilton's.

Was last there a year ago for a more normal weekend trip and stayed at the Courtyard Nashville/West End location.

Right across the highway from downtown, on the edge of Vanderbilt campus (great walking around there too), and Hattie B's is right next to it. Solid local bars and eateries in that area and a cool fly shop next to the hotel if anyone is interested in fishing/outdoors. Easy way to waste some time.
Austintm
The firm I work for is based in Nashville, so I typically go there 3-4 times a year (until the corona times anyway..). I've stayed in a lot of the hotels in or near downtown. Room rates can be high because there are not enough rooms downtown, but check the rates. Sometimes the higher end hotels aren't that much different from the mid-range. For example, the Westin and JW, because they are not right in the middle of the "action," often have very good rates. Both are great hotels.

A couple of suggestions:
the rooftop bar at the Westin has an incredible view, and worth going up for drinks.
The bars on Broadway can get crowded, but if you start early you can get in and out of a few and get the experience. Walk along and listen for something that sounds good and go in.

CM Hall is worth a trip, as is the Johnny Cash Museum. The Fritz Center downtown is sort a revolving exhibition center and sometimes has really cool exhibits. One time we were there they had vintage Italian sports cars. Generally have some interesting, different exhibits.

Dining:
Gourmet southern: Husk, 5th & Taylor. Can't go wrong with either.
Steak: Bourbon (on top of the JW, great views, also has a bar with panoramic views, but the bar area is a bit small); Kayne Prime in the Gulch maybe the best steakhouse sides anywhere.
Casual: Hattie B's, as mentioned. The Charlotte Pike location tends to be the less-crowded. Best bet is to hit it at an "off" time, like in-between traditional lunch and dinner or after the dinner rush; The Diner on Broadway;
The Southern (sort of mid-range price)
Breakfast: Biscuit Love. Worth the wait, but if you get there before 8 it isn't as bad. The location in Hillsboro Village is less crowded; Milk & Honey in the Gulch. Also gets crowded, but great breakfast.

agAngeldad
Austintm said:

The firm I work for is based in Nashville, so I typically go there 3-4 times a year (until the corona times anyway..). I've stayed in a lot of the hotels in or near downtown. Room rates can be high because there are not enough rooms downtown, but check the rates. Sometimes the higher end hotels aren't that much different from the mid-range. For example, the Westin and JW, because they are not right in the middle of the "action," often have very good rates. Both are great hotels.

A couple of suggestions:
the rooftop bar at the Westin has an incredible view, and worth going up for drinks.
The bars on Broadway can get crowded, but if you start early you can get in and out of a few and get the experience. Walk along and listen for something that sounds good and go in.

CM Hall is worth a trip, as is the Johnny Cash Museum. The Fritz Center downtown is sort a revolving exhibition center and sometimes has really cool exhibits. One time we were there they had vintage Italian sports cars. Generally have some interesting, different exhibits.

Dining:
Gourmet southern: Husk, 5th & Taylor. Can't go wrong with either.
Steak: Bourbon (on top of the JW, great views, also has a bar with panoramic views, but the bar area is a bit small); Kayne Prime in the Gulch maybe the best steakhouse sides anywhere.
Casual: Hattie B's, as mentioned. The Charlotte Pike location tends to be the less-crowded. Best bet is to hit it at an "off" time, like in-between traditional lunch and dinner or after the dinner rush; The Diner on Broadway;
The Southern (sort of mid-range price)
Breakfast: Biscuit Love. Worth the wait, but if you get there before 8 it isn't as bad. The location in Hillsboro Village is less crowded; Milk & Honey in the Gulch. Also gets crowded, but great breakfast.

Thanks. Rent car or ubber?
Garrelli 5000
AG
We were there for the first time in March 1 week before the country shut down.

Prefer Prince's to Hattie B's. Kane Prime was the best steakhouse meal we've ever had by a long shot. Their rolls dipped in homemade steak sauce are desert after you finish the great meal.

Merchants on broadway has a fantastic burger and the popcorn they start with is great. For such a tourist trap area Merchants is legit.

JC museum was awesome. If you are a guitar player the Gig at Belmont (gallery of iconic guitars) is a must see.

Take the trash out staff.
Austintm
Garrelli 5000 said:

We were there for the first time in March 1 week before the country shut down.

Prefer Prince's to Hattie B's. Kane Prime was the best steakhouse meal we've ever had by a long shot. Their rolls dipped in homemade steak sauce are desert after you finish the great meal.

Merchants on broadway has a fantastic burger and the popcorn they start with is great. For such a tourist trap area Merchants is legit.

JC museum was awesome. If you are a guitar player the Gig at Belmont (gallery of iconic guitars) is a must see.

Prince's is great, but they are down to one location. Also doesn't serve beer.
07ag
AG
hattie b's tip: order the food from their website to go and just go get it when its ready, rather than waiting in a crazy line
https://ts.la/eric59704
Garrelli 5000
AG
They only had a trailer at a moonshine distillery. The distillery had a bar with beer
Take the trash out staff.
Proudag06
AG
Not sure when you are going, but I have tickets to Andrew Peterson "Behold the Lamb of God" at the Ryman for Monday, Dec. 7 and we are having to cancel our trip.

It is an incredible show, great value ($85 per ticket), and really good seats (balcony 11, Row 5). Just trying to recoup my cost.

Let me know if any interest.

pcfaseler @ gmail dot com
agAngeldad
Proudag06 said:

Not sure when you are going, but I have tickets to Andrew Peterson "Behold the Lamb of God" at the Ryman for Monday, Dec. 7 and we are having to cancel our trip.

It is an incredible show, great value ($85 per ticket), and really good seats (balcony 11, Row 5). Just trying to recoup my cost.

Let me know if any interest.

pcfaseler @ gmail dot com
Going Dec 15th................ Maybe the 12th if the Ags plan Tenn. Thanks anyway.
cottonpicker
AG
Any new information in regards to the bars on Broadway. Want to go on a family trip in March but my group wants to bar hop without long lines. Any info appreciated
malenurse
AG
Tagging on this thread. I'll be there in April
Matsui
AG
Go during day
Matsui
AG
Which downtown hotel has the best summer pool scene?
buckinaggie
Starting Monday (Feb 1) all bars are allowed to stay open until midnight. As others mentioned, if you want to avoid long lines...go during the day.

Also...just off Broadway, the Bourbon Sky Lounge at the JW Marriott is definitely worth a visit. Great views of the city, especially on a clear night.
cottonpicker
AG
buckinaggie said:

Starting Monday (Feb 1) all bars are allowed to stay open until midnight. As others mentioned, if you want to avoid long lines...go during the day.

Also...just off Broadway, the Bourbon Sky Lounge at the JW Marriott is definitely worth a visit. Great views of the city, especially on a clear night.
Thx! We will check that out. Are the places still at restricted capacity?
cottonpicker
AG
Ttt
buckinaggie
Sorry...just saw your message. So the mayor just announced today another phase of loosening up restrictions. It goes into effect on March 1. You can search for full details, but bars and restaurants can stay open until 1am and there are a lot less restrictions on capacities.
AgLA06
AG
We enjoyed driving part of the Natchez Trail, stopping at some of the sights, and doing a short hike or two for a morning.
cottonpicker
AG
buckinaggie said:

Sorry...just saw your message. So the mayor just announced today another phase of loosening up restrictions. It goes into effect on March 1. You can search for full details, but bars and restaurants can stay open until 1am and there are a lot less restrictions on capacities.
Our trip is in a couple weeks. Maybe they will go full on Texas! Probably not but seems like it's definitely getting better. Thx for the info. I'll check it out
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.